Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Please explain the solubility of a solid in a liquid?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Solubility of a solid in a liquid

Ionic compounds are soluble in polar solvents, e.g., NaCl, KCl, MgCl2, CaCl2 are soluble in water because they ionize in aqueous solution. Ionic compounds are insoluble in organic solvents because they do not ionize in organic solvents. Sugar, glucose, alcohol, urea are soluble in water because they can form H – bonds with water. The se compounds are soluble in organic solvents like benzene, toluene, etc.

In general ‘ like dissolves like’ that is polar compounds are soluble in polar solvents and non – polar compounds are soluble in non – polar solvents.

Effect of temperature

The solubility of solid in liquid increases with increase in temperature if dissolution is endothermic.

If dissolution is exothermic, the solubility of solid in liquid decreases with increase in temperature.

Effect of pressure

The solubility of solid in liquid is not affected significantly by pressure because solids and liquids cannot be compresses,

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

The density of He is 0.1784kg/m^3 at STP . If a given mass of He at STP is allowed to expand to 1.5 times its initial volume by changing the temperature and pressure, compute its resultant...
From charles law moles are to be constant. P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 1*V/273 = P2*1.5V/T2 P2/T2 = 1/(273 x 1.5)..............(1) New density = P2M/RT2 = > (P2/T2)*(M/R) = > 1/(273 x 1.5) *...
2017 years ago
How the the No of moles are constant plz explain?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
5 hours ago
The molar volumes of ice and water are 0.0196 and 0.0180 litres per mole at 273K. If ΔH for the transition of ice to water is 1440 calories per mole at 1 atm pressure, find ΔU.
From eqn. ΔU + Δ(PV) ΔH = = ΔU + ΔPV + PΔV Given, 1440 = ΔU + 0.0196*273 + 0.0180*273 ΔU = 1440 – 10.2648 = 1429.73 calories.
Vikas TU 28 days ago
In the chapter Solid State Class 12, how to classify any solid or elements on the basis of their bonds i.e. covalent bond, molecular bond etc ???
Depending upon the type of bonding present , Solids can be divided as : 1) Covalent Solids 2) Ionic solids 3) Molecular solids 4) Metallic solids
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago
Ok , thats the same thing i told , u just need to see the configuration of examples . i am giving that below potassium sulphate – ionic solid tin – mettalic solid benzene – molecular (non...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ shreyas On the besic of bond present there are no such classification as tetraphosphorous decosides , and aluminium phosphates . Besic of the bond there are 4 types of classification 1-...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
how to find strenght of acids. guaranted question for boards 2017 maths phy chem
Dear student Strength of acid No of H+ ions released -I effect -R effect 1/H-bonding
Bhavya one month ago
how to memorize the qualitative analysis reactions. Need specifically in ENGLISH!
@ ashwin i am sorry , there is no shortcut for remembering the reactions in chemistry . so, what u have to do is make a chart and just remember the oxidising and reducing agent , then u can ...
Umakant biswal 19 days ago
Two flasks of equal volume are connected by a narrow tube (of negligible volume ) all at 27 degrees Celsius and contain 0.70 moles H2 at 0.5 atm . One of the flask is then immersed into a...
@ sudarshan i can give u the way to approach these question . its a very good ques actually . initially the total moles are = 70 . and the temp are 27 degree at the two pipes . so, acc to...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn