Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity

This rule deals with the filling of electrons into the orbitals belonging to the same subshell (i.e. orbitals of equal energy, called degenerate orbitals). It states : pairing of electrons in the orbitals belonging to the same subshell (p, d, or f) does not take place until each orbital belonging to that subshell has got one electron each, i.e., is singly occupied.

Since there are three p. five d and seven f orbitals, therefore, the pairing of electrons will start in the p, d and f orbitals with the entry of 4th, 6th and 8th electron, respectively. It has been observed that half filled, and fully filled degenerate set of orbitals acquire extra stability due to their symmetry.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

If bonding and antibonding electrons are equal then why the molecule is unstable? Explain it with an example.
This is as bond order is 0 BO = ½ (No of BMO – No of ABMO) BO is directly proportional to stability thus is it not present in nature eg. He 2
Rohan Kadkol one month ago
help me with it.please.............................................
Dear esha, Your question in the attachment is not clearly visible. Please repost it or write the question yourself.
Vikas TU 25 days ago
The mass ofa nonvolatile solute of malar mass 40g/mol that should be dissolved in114g of octane to lower its vapour 20% is.........
For immiscible mixtures, the relation in pre partial pressures and mole fractioon is: Pa’/Pb’ = na/nb 0.2P/P = na/(114/114) na = 0.2 moles of solute. Mass of the solute = 0.2 * 40 => 8...
2017 years ago
What is atom!??????And please understand me that what is the Bohr model?????
@ rahul atom is the smallest part of matter which can take part in a chemical reaction , features of bohr model 1- bohr actually redefined the rutherford model , and just add a term known...
Umakant biswal 7 days ago
What is solubility product ?? On what factors it depends .
@ simran Solubility product ( Ksp ) is a equilibrium constant in a chemical reaction in which a ionic solid dissociates into yield its ion in the solution . general formula for the...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Using Ortho para directing groups explain resonance in benzene
Learn this codee: HB MNC that stands for Hydrogen Bonding methyl Nitration Methyl (-CH3) And circle the whole code. that circle would stand for ortho taht is O for Ortho. . Now what does it ...
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn