There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Anomalous Behaviour of Beryllium:

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Beryllium, the first member of the group 2 metals, shows anomalous behavior as compared to magnesium and rest of the members. Further it shows diagonal relationship to aluminum which is discussed subsequently:

(I)                 Beryllium has exceptionally small atomic and ionic sizes and thus does not compare well with other members of the group. Because of high ionization enthalpy and small size it forms compounds which are largely covalent and get easily hydrolysed.

(II)               Beryllium does not exhibit coordination number more than four as in ts valence shell there are only four orbitals. The remaining members of the group can have a coordination number of six by making use of d-orbitals.

(III)             The oxide and hydroxide of beryllium unlike the hydroxides of other elements in the, are amphoteric in nature.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

What is the graphical representation of Graham`s law of diffusion
Rate 2 is the rate of effusion for the second gas. M 1 is the molar mass of gas. 1- M 2 is the molar mass of gas Graham's law states that the rate of effusion or of diffusion of a gas is...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Hello Ratul, check this Askiitian link to know about the Graham's law of Diffusion.
Vikas TU one month ago
what is ment by enthaply........................................................?
@ shrada 1- enthalpy is a measure of total energy of a thermodynamic system , it includes the internal energy , which is energy required to create a system , 2- unit of enthalpy is joule...
It's a thermodynamic constant or a qiantity which is the sum of tital heat of the system. it is given as sum of total internal enrgy with product of pressure and volume.
Vikas TU one month ago
enthalpy is the some of internal energy and pressure volume work or it is the heat q at const...
anand 5 days ago
A, B, C are 3 elements forming a part of compound in oxidation states of +2,+5,-2 respectively. What could be the compound?
It could be any 2 nd group that is alkaline earth element with oxygen and Phosphorous. For example, Calcium Phosphate. Ca3(PO4)2 In this, Ca has +2 valency Phosphorous has +5 and Oxygen has ...
Vikas TU 26 days ago
does aldehyde shows keto enol tautomerisatin or it is considered only in case of ketone?
@ pranav yes , aldehyde shows keto enol tautamerism , beacuse keto form is more stable in the case of aldehyde . the besic nessasaity for keto enol tautamerism is the presence of acidic...
How bond dissociation energy depends on mass of isotopes i.e. neutron??
All this can be understood via Einstein’s mass enrgy relation. that is E = mc^2. thus the nucleus consists protons and neutrons both there is a major role of neutron in bond dissociation...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i didn’t understand anything in organic chemistry and there ractions
@ shubham kindly tell me which reaction u are not able to understand ?? so, that i can explain you the whole process here , and while reading the mechanism and reaction intermediate ,...
2017 years ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn