Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 520 off
USE CODE: MOB20

Diagonal Relationship between Beryllium and Aluminum:

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The ionic radius of Be2+ is estimated to be 31 pm : the charge/ radius ratio is nearly the same as that of the Al3+ ion. Hence beryllium resembles aluminium in some ways. Some of the similarities are:

(i)                  Like aluminum, beryllium is not readily attacked by acids because of the presence of an oxide film on the surface of the metal.

(ii)                Beryllium hydroxide dissolves in excess of alkali to give a beryllate ion, just as aluminium hydroxide gives aluminate ion.

(iii)               The chlorides of both beryllium and aluminium have Cl- bridged chloride structure in vapour phase. Both the chlorides are soluble in organic solvents and are strong Lewis acids. They are used as Friedel Craft catalysts.

(iv)              Beryllium and aluminium ions have strong tendency to form complexes.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Give Faraday’s First and second laws of electrolysis?

First Law: It states that “The amount of substance liberated, deposited (or) dissolved at an electrode during the electrolysis of an electrolyte is directly proportional to the quantity of...

SAI SARDAR 19 days ago

@ karna Faraday's 1st Law of Electrolysis - "The mass of a substance altered at an electrode during electrolysis is directly proportional to the quantity of electricity transferred at that...

Umakant biswal 19 days ago
WHAT IS ELECTRO CHEMISTRY........................................?

DEAR SREE, ELECTRO CHEMISTRY IS A BRANCH OF CHEMISTRY WHICH DEALS WITH THE ELECTROSTATIC FORCES IN CHEMICAL REACTIONS.

SAI SARDAR 21 days ago

@ sree the branch of chemistry that deals with the relations between electrical and chemical phenomena... it besically deals with the interconversion of electric current used in chemical...

Umakant biswal 21 days ago

Electrochemistry is the branch of chemistry which deals with electricity produced by chemical reaction and also how electricity can carry out chemical reactions. Hope you understand my...

Adarsh 19 days ago
What is a fuel cell...................................................?

Galvanic cells that convert energy of combustion of fuels like hydrogen, methane, methanol etc directly into electrical energy are called fuel cells.

SAI SARDAR 18 days ago

@ RAM A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction of positively charged hydrogen ions with oxygen or another oxidizing ...

Umakant biswal 17 days ago
what is calorific value of water gas?

13000kj/m 3

srujanyadav 11 months ago

3.11.4 Calorific values of solid, liquid and gaseous fuels Solid and liquid fuels Gross calorific value/ MJ kg − 1 Low temperature coke (15% water) 26 Medium-volatile coking coal (1% water) ...

RAKESH CHINDAM 10 months ago

the calarofic value of tha water gas is the 13000KJM3.I MUST BE AAPPROXIMATE VALUC OF THE WATER GAS.IT IS THE APPROXIMATE VALUE OF THE WATER GAS

SHARATH 8 months ago
which book is best from solomes or morrison for physical chemistry

@ sanket it will vary from person to person acc to your understanding level . if u want to do bit by bit with full detail in organic chemistry will full conceptual clarity then take...

Umakant biswal 3 days ago
We all know that half filled atomic orbitals and fully filled atomic orbitals are more stable and that's why in the electronic configuration of several elements in periodic table violate...

I told dear that in lower atoms like you are saying carbon, 2s shell is very close to nucleus and hence its difficult to do the transition . 4 s is more far as compared to 2s
  img
Suraj Prasad 27 days ago

Students are always welcome :)
  img
Suraj Prasad 27 days ago

The difference of energy will obviously be there between 4s and 3d but dear imp thing is that its getting more stabilised by doing so . I hope you know about exchange energy which happens...
  img
Suraj Prasad 27 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 520 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts