There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

Diagonal Relationship between Beryllium and Aluminum:

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The ionic radius of Be2+ is estimated to be 31 pm : the charge/ radius ratio is nearly the same as that of the Al3+ ion. Hence beryllium resembles aluminium in some ways. Some of the similarities are:

(i)                  Like aluminum, beryllium is not readily attacked by acids because of the presence of an oxide film on the surface of the metal.

(ii)                Beryllium hydroxide dissolves in excess of alkali to give a beryllate ion, just as aluminium hydroxide gives aluminate ion.

(iii)               The chlorides of both beryllium and aluminium have Cl- bridged chloride structure in vapour phase. Both the chlorides are soluble in organic solvents and are strong Lewis acids. They are used as Friedel Craft catalysts.

(iv)              Beryllium and aluminium ions have strong tendency to form complexes.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
please tell me the plan for study of some basic concepts of chemistry i am very much confused... how to study this chapter for iit jee..... can i study whole ncert then start from pradeep...

this chapter is not very difficult. but mole concept is hard. so study mole concept from some good books and take help from this site or any site on web. approve if u like

vindhya 24 days ago

YOU SHOULD READ BOOKS OF GRB PUBLICATION

Naveen Garhwal 29 days ago
how to find n-factor of h3po3

n-factor of an acid is defined as the number of H+ions replaced by 1 mole of acid in a reaction.However n-factor for acid is not equal to its basicity i.e. the number of moles of replaceable...
  img
Aarti Gupta 26 days ago
what are chemical bonds please explain in detail that why the form please ,,,,,

Chemical compounds are formed by the joining of two or more atoms. A stable compound occurs when the total energy of the combination has lower energy than the separated atoms. The bound...

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya 13 days ago
ONE OF THE MOST DREADED TOPICS FOR ME. Please explain me clearly why the encircled carbon atom represent a chiral centre. How are we getting two different patterns on moving clockwise and...

a chiral carbon is a carbon which is attached to 4 different atoms. In this case the carbon encircled is attached to a hydrogen, a flourine, and then to a ring, but since the ring is...

Neeti 2 days ago
The mixture of noble gases are separated by which method?

Except radon which is obtained from radioactive element radium all the other members of zero group can be isolated from air. Two different approaches are used for the isolation of noble...
  img
Raheema Javed 8 months ago

The mixture of noble gases can be separated by the fractionation of liquid air.Baesd on the difference in the melting poing and bioling point these can be separated.When liquid air is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 10 months ago
View all Questions »