DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Similarities between Lithium and Magnesium:

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The similarity between Lithium and Magnesium is particularly striking and arises because of their similar sizes: atomic radii, Li = 152 pm, Mg = 160 pm: ionic radii:  Li+ = 76 pm, Mg2+ = 72 pm. The main points of

similarity are:

(i)                  Both lithium and magnesium are harder lighter than other elements in the respective groups.

(ii)                Lithium and magnesium react slowly with water. Their oxides and hydroxides are much less soluble and their hydroxides decompose on heating.

(iii)               The oxides, Li2O and MgO do not combine with excess oxygen to give any superoxide.

(iv)              The carbonates of lithium and magnetism decompose easily on heating to form the oxides and CO2  .

(v)                Both LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.

(vi)              Both LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallize from aqueous solution as hydrates, LiCl.2H2O and MgCl2.8H2O.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Bravais showed that there are only 14 types of crystal lattices possible. But if we consider a unit cell of say NaCl or ZnS, they do not seem to fall under any of the 14 different types of...

There are 6 Cl surrounding the Na, and 6 Na around each Cl. NaCl is made up of fcc / ccp lattices. The Na's occupy the octahedral sites in the Cl sub lattice, and the Cl's occupy the...
  img
Pankaj 28 days ago

Hello Student, It is actually not so, NaCl has face centred cubic structure while ZnS has Hexagonal crystal.
  img
Pankaj 29 days ago

But NaCl unit cell has a cation at the body centre and edge centres and anions at the corners and face centres...which type of Bravais lattice actually describes this arrangement????

Satviki Pathak 29 days ago
how many grams of KCl would have to be diisolved in 60 gms H2O to give 20% by weight of solution?

total mass of the water=60g let weight of KCl required=xg so weight %=20% i.e. {x/(x+60)}=20%=20/100 x=0.2*x +....60*0.2 0.8*x=12 x=12/0.8=15g...
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

let amount=xg so x/(x+60)=20%=0.2 x=15g..... so the amount of KCL needed=15g .................................. .........................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago
what volume of concentrated HCL that is 36% HCL by mass and has dens ity of 1.18 g/cm3 is required yo produce 8.25L of a solution with pH of 1.77

ph=1.77 -log[H+]=1.77 [H+]=.588M mole of HCl=.588*8.25=.485mole let the volume of Hcl be V now .36*V*1.18=.485 V=1.14L
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago

ph=1.77-log[H+]=1.77[H+]=.588Mmole of HCl=.588*8.25=.485molelet the volume of Hcl be Vnow .36*V*1.18=.485V=1.14L

TEJKIRAT SINGH one month ago
How to find wich oxide is nuteral?

By viewing the periodic table,one can predict the nature of oxides.Acidic,basic,neutral oxides show following trends- In general, the electropositive character of the oxide's central...
  img
Aarti Gupta 6 months ago

Oxides are those chemical compounds in which one or more oxygenatoms combined with another element for e.g. Li2O.These are of different types like acidic,basic,amphoteric and neutral.Neutral...
  img
Aarti Gupta 6 months ago

Ok , you are correct is there any fixed part in the periodic table , where the element combines with oxygen and form nuteral oxide. From my guess the most probably from your answer above the...

Vineeth 6 months ago
Why Eu ropium shows a sudden increase in atomic radius. (At. Radius of Sm = 180pm , Eu = 199pm and Gd = 180 pm)?

Actually there is confusion in you.The atomic radius which I found was all the same for the three element as 180 pm. Lets see,there is a decrease in atomic radius There is a decrease in the...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago

@Sunil Kumar FP Go to this link and check Table 8.9 on pg.229 ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/class_12.Chemistry.ChemistryI/8.pdf

Shibashis Mallik 6 months ago
What are the products formed when 2-methoxy propane reacts with conc HI

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago

In the presence of conc.HI I think (CH3)2CH-OH changes to (CH3)2CH-I. Also since a secondary carbon is present SN 1 mechanism may occur then the products are different(CH3OH and (CH3)2CH-I)....

Himaja 5 months ago
View all Questions »