DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Similarities between Lithium and Magnesium:

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The similarity between Lithium and Magnesium is particularly striking and arises because of their similar sizes: atomic radii, Li = 152 pm, Mg = 160 pm: ionic radii:  Li+ = 76 pm, Mg2+ = 72 pm. The main points of

similarity are:

(i)                  Both lithium and magnesium are harder lighter than other elements in the respective groups.

(ii)                Lithium and magnesium react slowly with water. Their oxides and hydroxides are much less soluble and their hydroxides decompose on heating.

(iii)               The oxides, Li2O and MgO do not combine with excess oxygen to give any superoxide.

(iv)              The carbonates of lithium and magnetism decompose easily on heating to form the oxides and CO2  .

(v)                Both LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.

(vi)              Both LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallize from aqueous solution as hydrates, LiCl.2H2O and MgCl2.8H2O.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
the hydrogen like species Li +2 is in a spherical symmetric state S 1 with one radial node, upon absorbing the light the ion underges transition to a state S 2 with one radial node and its...

1.The answer is 2s.Since S1 is spherically symmetrical,it must be an s orbital and since it has only one radial node,we can conclude that it a ‘2s’ orbital.(For an ‘ns’ orbital where n may...

Bhaveen Juthani 10 days ago

Hey Manyam...i know that the no. of radial nodes is n-l-1...in general....but in my answer i had clearly written that considering the orital is an ‘s’ orbital(1s,2s,3s,etc.),then the no.of....

Bhaveen Juthani 10 days ago

Bhaveen thanq but plz check ur ans for 1 no. radial nodes=n-l-1

Svbsmanyam 10 days ago
H2 + I2 = 2HI (an elementary reaction)...If the volume of the container containing the gaseous mixture is increased to 2 times ,then final rate of reaction !- become 4 times 2 become ¼ th of...

rate law = k[H2][I2] when we increase the volume by 2 times the concentration becomes half. The rate of reaction becomes one fourth of the initial value. so, option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 6 months ago

H2 + I2 = 2HI As it is elementary reaction, so order=molecularity=2 rate(r1)=k[H2][I2] Now the volume is increased two times, so their concentration would be ½ of original value. so...
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago
pH of 10 power -9M HCl is approx.? ( not getting correct ans.)

Here H+ obtained by only HCl is =10 -9 M As we also know that the H+ obtained by dissociation of water=10 -7 M So here we can see thaty the H+ released by water is more that the dissociation...
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

thanku sir.

Shriya Mehrotra 6 months ago
why the order of thermal stability is as follows ZnO>CdO>HgO ?? please explain all the properties and cause for this order.

Zinc,Cadmium and mercury all three are group 12 elements which belong to the d-block of the periodic table.All these three elements formed oxides either by direct combination with oxygen and...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

i dont no

Amritha Ammu one month ago
the pair of elemets which forms a compound with maximum ionic character is: ​a) Na & C ​b)Cs and F c)Cs and I d)Na and Cl

B- Cs and F as clearly Cs is most electropositive element and F is most electronegative element and they form most ionic product

daksh one month ago

for max ionic character large size of cation and small size of anion so answer is CsF APPROVE IF USEFUL

ng29 one month ago
structure of organic compound

An organic compound is any member of a large class of gaseous, liquid, or solid chemical compounds whose molecules contain carbon. Carbon has four valence electrons 2s2 2p2 and it must...
  img
Raheema Javed 6 months ago

Hi Student Please mention in more detail, which organic compound’s structure you want to know since there are large number of organic compounds. If you looking for anything else please...
  img
Harsh Patodia 6 months ago
View all Questions »