Similarities between Lithium and Magnesium:

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

The similarity between Lithium and Magnesium is particularly striking and arises because of their similar sizes: atomic radii, Li = 152 pm, Mg = 160 pm: ionic radii:  Li+ = 76 pm, Mg2+ = 72 pm. The main points of

similarity are:

(i)                  Both lithium and magnesium are harder lighter than other elements in the respective groups.

(ii)                Lithium and magnesium react slowly with water. Their oxides and hydroxides are much less soluble and their hydroxides decompose on heating.

(iii)               The oxides, Li2O and MgO do not combine with excess oxygen to give any superoxide.

(iv)              The carbonates of lithium and magnetism decompose easily on heating to form the oxides and CO2  .

(v)                Both LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.

(vi)              Both LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallize from aqueous solution as hydrates, LiCl.2H2O and MgCl2.8H2O.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
bile juice responcible for emulsification of fats is stored in

Bile or gall is a bitter-tasting, dark green to yellowish brown fluid, produced by the liver of most vertebrates, that aids the digestion of lipids in the small intestine. In humans, bile is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

Hello Student Bile juice is one of the number of ther digesive juices prent in human digestive system. Bile juice is responcible for emulsification of the fats of the foold. Bille juice is...
  img
Gaurav one month ago
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad 2 months ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
If 0.5 mole of BaCl2 is mixed with 0.2 mole of Na33PO4.the max no of moles of Ba3(PO4)2.?

Step-I: First write the balenced equation for this reaction, 3BaCl2.........+.......2Na3PO4.........=Ba3(PO4)2....+6NaCl 0.5 mol.....................0.2 mol...............x mol Step-II: In...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago

thanks sir.

Shriya Mehrotra one month ago
Why NaOH.nH 2 O , Where n = 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 & 7. Why n cant have 6 and other values to it?

Hello Student Here n represents the number of water molecule attached to the NaOH . These are called water of crystallization. The number of water of crystallization is 1, 2, 3,4 or 5....
  img
Gaurav 2 days ago
Is there a shortcut for finding the number of isomers for functional hydrocarbons

Dont go for short cuts. Remember when two or more compounds have the same molecular formula but different functional group for example an aldehyde and ketone , an alcohol and ether are...
  img
Harishwar 3 months ago
Sir, Is there any positively charged nucleophile....

Nucleophile is an species which can either be negative charge or electrically neutral.But in both cases it should carry electron to share i.e acting as an Lewis base.For ex- 1. Neutral...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Dear student as in the above answer it is explained that nucleophile is an species which is either neutral or negative charge so it means that nucleophiles are not the positive charge...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

ya but can you give me an example for positively charged nucleophile...

Bhubesh 2 months ago
View all Questions »