Similarities between Lithium and Magnesium:

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

The similarity between Lithium and Magnesium is particularly striking and arises because of their similar sizes: atomic radii, Li = 152 pm, Mg = 160 pm: ionic radii:  Li+ = 76 pm, Mg2+ = 72 pm. The main points of

similarity are:

(i)                  Both lithium and magnesium are harder lighter than other elements in the respective groups.

(ii)                Lithium and magnesium react slowly with water. Their oxides and hydroxides are much less soluble and their hydroxides decompose on heating.

(iii)               The oxides, Li2O and MgO do not combine with excess oxygen to give any superoxide.

(iv)              The carbonates of lithium and magnetism decompose easily on heating to form the oxides and CO2  .

(v)                Both LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.

(vi)              Both LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallize from aqueous solution as hydrates, LiCl.2H2O and MgCl2.8H2O.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
no of electron in p orbital?

p-orbital is dumb-bell shaped orbital.It is of three types- 1.px – Both lobes pointing towards x-axis. 2. py – Both lobes pointing towards y-axis. 3. pz – Both lobes...
  img
Aarti Gupta 26 days ago

P-orbital is an outcome of azimuthal quantum number if principal quantum number is greater than 1. If n>= 2 then we will be having p orbital. It has orientaton along x,y and z axis which...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 26 days ago
Sir , I cant visulize this image and understand it can you explain?

The above figure can be understand in terms of Molecular orbital theory .According to this theory the electrons are not assigned to individual bonds between atoms, but are treated as moving...
  img
Aarti Gupta 20 days ago

Thanks for your deep answer , I have more doubt from your answer i belive you will help me to get me out of it. They are Why 2P y is not participating ihere? In the statment “ . Can only PI...

Vineeth 19 days ago
Enthalpy of combustion of H2 to form H20 at 298K is -298KJ/mole. Bond enthalpies of H-H and O=O are 433KJ/mole and 492KJ/mole respectively. Find bond enthalpy of O-H ?

The reaction can be given as: H2....+......(1/2)O2..................................>......H2O.......+......298kJ/mol In this reaction, for combustion of 1 mole of H2, one mole of H-H...
  img
Naveen Kumar yesterday

Dear student just replace the sign of the energy released because it is exothermically released. what you will get is also bond energy released in the formation of O-H bond....
  img
Naveen Kumar yesterday

answer is not matching , answr given is B

Damini Parihar yesterday
how do polar solvents help in the first step in SN1 mechanism

TheSN1 reactionis asubstitution reactioninorganic chemistry. "SN" stands fornucleophilic substitutionand the "1" represents the fact that therate-determining...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Why is the IUPAC name of the following organic compound is 1,5dimethylcyclopentene and not 2,3dimethylcyclopentene

to give nomencleture of cyclo compound. you must strat numbering from the group with higher priority..then further numbering should continue with orthi,meta and para positions from right...

mohit 2 months ago

Please find the attachment

Shivam Maheshwari 3 months ago
WHAT ARE THE BASIC CONCEPTS IN NOMENCLATURE OF ORGANIC COMPOUNDS?

1. Compositional nomenclature This term is used in the present recommendations to denote name constructions which are based solely on the composition of the substances or species being...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
View all Questions »