There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

Similarities between Lithium and Magnesium:

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The similarity between Lithium and Magnesium is particularly striking and arises because of their similar sizes: atomic radii, Li = 152 pm, Mg = 160 pm: ionic radii:  Li+ = 76 pm, Mg2+ = 72 pm. The main points of

similarity are:

(i)                  Both lithium and magnesium are harder lighter than other elements in the respective groups.

(ii)                Lithium and magnesium react slowly with water. Their oxides and hydroxides are much less soluble and their hydroxides decompose on heating.

(iii)               The oxides, Li2O and MgO do not combine with excess oxygen to give any superoxide.

(iv)              The carbonates of lithium and magnetism decompose easily on heating to form the oxides and CO2  .

(v)                Both LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.

(vi)              Both LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallize from aqueous solution as hydrates, LiCl.2H2O and MgCl2.8H2O.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is the most aboundant element element on earth

The most abundant element on the earth is oxygen.Although most of the earth’s crust is composed of 8 elements,but oxygen tops the list in terms of abundance.It constitutes about 46% of...
  img
Aarti Gupta 28 days ago

yes aarti ma'am is absolutely correct

vindhya 24 days ago

oxygen is the most abundant

Prajwal Kavad 20 days ago
Why zinc sulphide screen is used inαscattering experiment

Hello dhruv, zinc sulphide releases a photon having wavelength of visible light when it is hit by a charged particle. in alpha scattering, alpha particles are scattered to different degree...

Neeti 9 days ago

You are most welcome, you could also approve the answer if you liked it :)

Neeti 8 days ago

Thanks for your an

Dhruv Desai 8 days ago
bond enthhalpy and bond length are inversely related to each other but both these bond parameters increase with increase in no. of hybrid orbitals. how it is possible

Bond energy is the energy released when a bond is formed or the energy needed to break a bond ( a measure of strength of the bond) and bond length gives length of the bond, now we know that ...

Neeti yesterday
Hi Friends, Do you all know that askiitians has launched self study courses at negligible price along with discount of 30% so that we students can get help in our studies. These lectures...

These self-study packages are actually free to the enrolled students!! The test papers and video solutions given are brilliant and super helpful :D

Kalyani Jayachandran Menon 12 days ago
Q . WHICH IS THE DECREASING ORDER OF STABILITY OF THE IONS? (2)>(3)>(1) (1)>(2)>(3) (1)>(3)>(2) (3)>(1)>(2)

i am also getting the answer as (A) but the correct option is (C) in this case

Bharat Makkar 9 months ago

i think answer is c only because the carbocation there is stabilised by the lone pair of oxygen by backbonding and in second case there is deactivation by oxygen resulting highly...

daksh 8 months ago

oops sorry! dint see ur attachment...............ya even i think the answer is (a) in second one there is a chance of tautomerism and the third one is stabilized by the +Ieffect of alkyl...

Rakesh 8 months ago
View all Questions »