Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 520 off
USE CODE: MOB20

Similarities between Lithium and Magnesium:

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The similarity between Lithium and Magnesium is particularly striking and arises because of their similar sizes: atomic radii, Li = 152 pm, Mg = 160 pm: ionic radii:  Li+ = 76 pm, Mg2+ = 72 pm. The main points of

similarity are:

(i)                  Both lithium and magnesium are harder lighter than other elements in the respective groups.

(ii)                Lithium and magnesium react slowly with water. Their oxides and hydroxides are much less soluble and their hydroxides decompose on heating.

(iii)               The oxides, Li2O and MgO do not combine with excess oxygen to give any superoxide.

(iv)              The carbonates of lithium and magnetism decompose easily on heating to form the oxides and CO2  .

(v)                Both LiCl and MgCl2 are soluble in ethanol.

(vi)              Both LiCl and MgCl2 are deliquescent and crystallize from aqueous solution as hydrates, LiCl.2H2O and MgCl2.8H2O.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

What is Le-Chatelier priencipal.could you Explain me briefly.

a principle stating that if a constraint (such as a change in pressure, temperature, or concentration of a reactant) is applied to a system in equilibrium, the equilibrium will shift so as...

2016 years ago
WHAT IS CATALYSIS..............................................?

DEAR SREEKANTH, A CATALYST IS THE SUBSTANCE THAT INCREASE THE RATE OF CHEMICAL REACTION TO WHICH IT IS ADDED WITH OUT ITSELF BEING CONSUMED IN THE REACTION.THIS PHENOMENON IS KNOWN AS...

SAI SARDAR 4 days ago
AIPMT 2012M Q31 Please provide a detailed solution.......

Dear student We know that, G = -nFE Here n= 4 O 3 2 - (From Al 2 O 3 ) -----> O 2 0 change of electron in 1 mole is 2*3 = 6 but i have 2/3 moles of Al2O3 therefore change in electrons =...
  img
Bhavya 3 days ago
what is the emperical formula sheet silicates?

Si 2 O 2- 5

PRAPULPODISHETTI 11 months ago

5 )n^-2n 2- O 2 (Si

sanjay 11 months ago

n^-2n 2- O 2 (Si

SHANMUKESHWAR 11 months ago
what is the c-c bond lenth of graphite?

1.42 A

sanjay 11 months ago

MY DEAR FRIEND THE ANSWER OF YOUR QUESTION IS C-C BOND LENGTH IN GRAPHITE IS 1.42 A.PLEASE APPROVE IT .THANK YOU.

NARAYANA 7 months ago

IN GRAPHITE CARBON CARBON BOND LENGTH IS 1.42 ANGSTROMS GRAPHITE IS THE ONE OF THE ALLOTROPE OF CARBON

RAMCHANDRARAO 7 months ago
What is meant by chelating effect?

A bidentate (or) a poly dentate ligand is known as chelating ligand if on coordination it results in the formation of a closed (or) cyclic structure.Chelating ligands form more stable...

PRAPULPODISHETTI 10 months ago

The chelate effect describes the enhanced affinity of chelating ligands for a metal ion compared to the affinity of a collection of similar nonchelating (monodentate) ligands for the same...

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 10 months ago

A bidentate (or) a poly dentate ligand is known as chelating ligand if on coordination it results in the formation of a closed (or) cyclic structure.Chelating ligands form more stable...

pa1 10 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 520 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts