Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

In the zinc blende structure , zinc ions occupy alternate tetrahedral voids  and S2- ions exists as ccp. The radii of Zn 2+  and S2- ions are 0.83 A°  and 1.74 A° respectively. Then the edge length of the Zn unit cell is :-

(a) 2.57 A°   (b) 5.14 A°   (c) 2,96 A°      (d) 4.86 A°

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student

The ionic radius of the zinc(II) ion is 0.74 Å and that of the sulfide ion is 1.70 Å. The ratio of radii for the cation and anion is thus r+/r- = 0.74/1.70 = 0.44.

With a radius ratio of 0.44, one might expect the zinc(II) ions to occupy octahedral holes; however, the value of 0.44 is only slightly larger than rhole/r = 0.414 for an octahedral hole. There is also some covalent character in the Zn2+-S2- interaction, which tends to shorten the interatomic distance. Experimentally, one finds that the zinc(II) ions occupy tetrahedral holes.

If the sulfide ions originally adopt a hexagonal closest-packed structure, the ZnS crystal is wurtzite. If the sulfide ions originally adopt a cubic closest-packed structure, the ZnS crystal is zinc blende.

The virtual reality displays depict the structure of zinc blende. The yellow spheres represent the sulfide ions and the blue spheres represent the zinc(II) ions.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Give me full notes of solids state with fully explanation
@ manish in solid state , u have to only use your imagination , that chapter only uses imagination and creating the concept , the imp topics are (for boards ) 1- tetrahedral and octahedral...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please visit thanks and please approve my answer:} post if you have any doubt
SAHIL 3 months ago
the electron affinity of chlorine is 3.9ev how much energy in KCAl is released when 2g of chlorine is completely converted to cl- ion in gaseous state
write the eqn. Cl2 + 2e- ----------->>> 2Cl- 2/71 moles would give 2/71*2 = > 1/71 moles. For 2 elctrons, Energy = 3.9 * 2 /71 = >0.109 eV. = 0.109 * 1.6022 * 10^-22 = 0.17676 * 10^-22...
Vikas TU 26 days ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
Using Ortho para directing groups explain resonance in benzene
Learn this codee: HB MNC that stands for Hydrogen Bonding methyl Nitration Methyl (-CH3) And circle the whole code. that circle would stand for ortho taht is O for Ortho. . Now what does it ...
Vikas TU one month ago
-R effect of -COOR is greater than -COOH. What is the best reason behind it.
Simple answer: in Ester that is -COOR there is R group that is the combination carbon and hydrogen atoms. And -R group always shows +R effect thus decreases -R effect.
Vikas TU 25 days ago
Can you produce hydrogen from its isotopes. If yes then how
@ vipul No , hydrogen cannot be produced from its isotopes . there is no such techniques which can produce hydrogen from its isotopes . it can only be produced by chemical reaction as a bi...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn