Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

We know that dW = F.dx

In an isothermal system, pressure is being applied by the gas which moves the piston upwards.

So dW = Pgas.A.dx = Pgas.dV

But in all books it is mentioned that dW=Pext.dV.

Can you please clarify on this?

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Here the pressure is external to the system and opposing the expansion, dw=Pext*dV

6 years ago

The work is done against external pressure, but the work is being done BY the gas, so we consider the force that the gas exerts.
Work done by a body depends upon the force exerted BY the body, not on the force against which the work is being done, right??
For example, let us consider two men A and B pushing a block in opp. directions with force F and G by A and B resp. Then work done by A = F.x

Then why are we considering the opposing factor in case of gases?
6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

i need sone tips to prepare for higher exams. like, we should prioritise theories or numericals? for example, i m currently preparing mole concept
Hii I can help you with some books if you need that. Study from these books and topics will easy to you. Reference Books for Engineering Entrance Exam Chemistry NCERT Chemistry text books of...
Sourabh Singh 2 months ago
@ NAVYA kindly mention you are preparing for engg or medical entraance exams , so, that i can help u suitably . if u are focusing more on medical entrances then u need to solve problem in...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 2 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What does breaking of sigma bonds need more energy than pi bonds?
@ sachet during the formation of sigma bond . overlap of atomic orbital takes place to a larger extent , whereas during the formation of pi bond , the overlapping of atomic orbital take...
Umakant biswal one month ago
in a sigma bond electron density is spread symmetrically ,cylindrically around inter nuclear axis. hence sigma bond is strong.
KENAM SAITEJA one month ago
How does chemical reactivity vary in group and period
@ himesh as we go left to the right of the periodic table , nuclear charge increase and the electrons are added to the same shell . therefore ionisation energy increase with increase in...
how to determine the presence of cross conjugation in a compound?
@ pranav frst of all u need to draw the structure of the compound , and then try to figure out the bonds , and their classification , after doing that u can easily figure out which bonds...
state kohlrausch law of independent migration of ions? write one of its application
This principle is known as Kohlrausch's law of independent migration , which states that in the limit of infinite dilution, Each ionic species makes a contribution to the conductivity of...
Umakant biswal 14 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn