ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

What are the differences between SIgma bond and Pi - bond?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Sigma Bond

Pi - Bond

1)      A sigma bond is formed by the end to end overlap of half – filled atomic orbitals along the inter – nuclear axis. The overlapping involves two s – orbitals, one s and p – orbital or two p - orbitals

A pi – bond is formed by the sidewise overlap of two half – filled p - orbitals

2)      In this case, the overlapping can take place to a larger extent and therefore, the bond formed is a strong bond

In the formation of Pi - bond the overlapping occurs to a lesser extent and therefore, the bond is weak.

3)      The molecular orbital is symmetrical about the intermolecular axis.

The molecular orbitals is discontinuous and consists of two charged clouds above and below the plane of atoms.

4)      There can be free rotation of atoms around o- - bond

Because of overlapping of the electrons clouds above and below the plane of the atoms, free rotation of atoms around Pi - bond is not possible.

5)      The bond may be present between two atoms either alone or along with Pi- bond.

The bound is always present between two atoms in addition to sigma bond.

6)      In the formation of sigma bond, s – orbitals can participate.

s – orbitals cannot participate in the formation of pi - bond

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Barium is a toxic metak,and barium sulphate is uded in x-rays. why?

Barium is an heavy metal, and its water-soluble compounds are often highly toxic.Barium sulphate is an inorganic compoundhaving chemical formula BaSO4 which is anwhite crystalline solid and...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

thanks

Pushkar Aditya one month ago
Explain band spectrum?

you can assume it like fingerprints of any person. For every element you can have band spectrum. The transition spectrum patten is unique for every element. By transition i mean the...
  img
Suraj Prasad 4 months ago

Spectral bands are part of optical spectra of polyatomic systems, including condensed materials, large molecules, etc. Each line corresponds to one level in the atom splits in the molecules....
  img
Suraj Prasad 4 months ago

Wikipedia is good .Can you explain in your own words in short ?

Vineeth 4 months ago
H2 + I2 = 2HI (an elementary reaction)...If the volume of the container containing the gaseous mixture is increased to 2 times ,then final rate of reaction !- become 4 times 2 become ¼ th of...

rate law = k[H2][I2] when we increase the volume by 2 times the concentration becomes half. The rate of reaction becomes one fourth of the initial value. so, option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 3 months ago

H2 + I2 = 2HI As it is elementary reaction, so order=molecularity=2 rate(r1)=k[H2][I2] Now the volume is increased two times, so their concentration would be ½ of original value. so...
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago
what sre ‘non resolvable’ isomers

Interconversion is the characteristic of nearly every set of conformational isomers which are also stereoisomers as they also differ in the way their atoms are orientated in space.But in...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

they are simply meso compound

daksh 2 months ago

they are simply meso compound

daksh 2 months ago
phenol + KBr +KBrO3 rxn mechanism

Acc to me, the kbr is providing Br- ion.. The Kbro3 will decompose to form kbr which will again provide br- ion.. Now aromatic substitution will take place, phenol being an ortho-para...

raj 2 months ago
convert 1-Bromo butane to Toluene

img
Harishwar 5 months ago
View all Questions »