Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

can u plz tell me when is d compressibility factor (Z) in d vander waal's equation greater than 1 or less than 1??

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi Pratyusha,

Compressibility factor:

Z = PV/nRT

(i)     Z = 1 for ideal gas

(ii)    Z = 1 for real gases at low pressure and high temperature.

(iii)    Z > 1 show that it is difficult to copress the gas as compared to ideal gas. It is possible at high pressure. In this case repulsive force dominates. It also indicates lower value of vanderwaal’s constant ‘a’

(iv)   Z < 1 shows that the gases are easily compressible as compare dot ideal gas. It is possible at intermediate pressure. In this case attractive forces are dominant. Value of ‘a’ is high.

Note ->

(i)     In case of H, Z > 1 at 273K and Z increases with the pessure. When temperature is less than 273K, H2 has Z < 1.

(ii)    For gases other than hydrogen, at 273K there is decrease in ‘Z’ at initial stage, with increase in pressure, value of ‘Z’ approaches a minimum with increase in pressure.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
What is a fuel cell...................................................?
Galvanic cells that convert energy of combustion of fuels like hydrogen, methane, methanol etc directly into electrical energy are called fuel cells.
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ RAM A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction of positively charged hydrogen ions with oxygen or another oxidizing ...
what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.
@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction...
Two flasks of equal volume are connected by a narrow tube (of negligible volume ) all at 27 degrees Celsius and contain 0.70 moles H2 at 0.5 atm . One of the flask is then immersed into a...
@ sudarshan i can give u the way to approach these question . its a very good ques actually . initially the total moles are = 70 . and the temp are 27 degree at the two pipes . so, acc to...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
S8 Molecule does not reacts with chemical reacts but Sulphour atom reacts chemical reactions why
S8 is a molecule . S is an atom , s8 just happens to be one of the molecule sulpher can form out of 8 sulpher atom . this means that it will not always be written as s8 in a chemical...
Umakant biswal one month ago
S8 is present in crown shaped form which makes the molecule stable and innert in nature. The innert nature is due to high electron density, which repells the other electrons and thus it...
KAUSTABH PAL one month ago
Which of the following order is incorrect for given property?
Dear student A option is not visible clearly.Kindly resend.
Bhavya one month ago
“C” since, first conjugate base in Ist compond is stabalised by H-bonding hence it is strongest acid hence given order is incorrect.
Pranav Dabhade one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn