Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

What is the effect of size of the gas molecules on their deviation from ideal

In low pressure range volume correction of the gases like N2 is negligible

but pressure correction is considerable wat is the reason?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

In the kinetic theory of the gases ,there is a faulty assumption that the size of a gas molecule is negligible campared to the volume of the gas .

This assumption is wrong if the gas is constrained to the very high pressure .Hence there is deviation of the gas from ideal behaviour.

At a very low pressure ,the gas molecules are very far apart from each other ,so in the case volume of individual gas molecule is negligible compared to the total volume of the gas .Hence, volume correction is ignored.

pressure correction mainly corrects the observed pressure of a gas .See basically pressure exerted by a gas is mainly due to the collisions of the gas molecules with the walls of the container.Actually gas molecules exert intermolecular forces of attraction on one another.So a gas molecule which is about to strikethe walls of a container will finally strike with a lesser momentum since it has been pulled by neighbourhood gas molecules. So the observed pressure will be smaller.

This is pressure correction.It cant be ignored.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

If bonding and antibonding electrons are equal then why the molecule is unstable? Explain it with an example.
This is as bond order is 0 BO = ½ (No of BMO – No of ABMO) BO is directly proportional to stability thus is it not present in nature eg. He 2
Rohan Kadkol one month ago
The no. of orientation in a shell of orbit no. 5 is
The number of orientation level is described my m values . So find it now by using it . But your question is no clear of what is 5 , so I have given you the concept , find it . HIt approve...
Drake 27 days ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
what is hybridisation of free radical cl03 ? .. and how can i find the hybridisation of free radicals like ch3, cf3, no2...
@ anubhav the hybridisation in chlorate is sp3 . clo ^ 3- have 3 bond pairs and 1 loan pair ifu can calculate acc to the VSEPR theory . it is of the type AB3E . it has trigonal pyramidal...
Umakant biswal one month ago
sir, what is the hybridisation of cl03 free radical and not clo3-.... ch3 has sp2 hybridisation bt cf3 has sp3 hybridisation.. jst like this i want to knw if there’s any kind of exception...
anubhav one month ago
why need heat during meta dinitrobenzene synthesis or heat duration 30 minut why
@ sanam it is important that the reaction will not get too hot . it should not go above 70 degree celsius , but at least 60 degree celsius need to be maintained in that case , taht is the...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Exactly half filled and completely filledsubshellsgive stability to the atoms.then which of the following is the correct order of stability? 1. p3 2. P3 3.d5>p3>d10>p6 4.d5p3
Your options are incomplete though. The stability order should be: d10 then p6 then d5 then p3. this is most suitable combination.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn