The correct order of bond length for CO, CO2, CO3 2-(carbonate) is:

why?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

When we consider a bond between two atoms, the type of bond gives a relative measure of the bond length.

Triple Bond Strongest, 3 electron pairs shared, shortest bond
Double Bond Middle, 2 electron pairs shared
Single Bond Weakest, 1 electron pair shared, longest bond

We need to determine the bond types for each molecule or ion:

CO, When drawing the lewis structure here, we end up with a triple bond between the carbon and the oxygen (and a -1 charge on the C and a +1 charge on the O)

CO2 This lewis structure gives one double bond between each oxygen and the carbon.

[CO3]2- This one is a little trickier, but when we draw the lewis structure for this ion, we get a double bond between one oxygen and the carbon, with single bonds between the other two oxygen atoms and the carbon. Because each of the oxygens want a double bond to the carbon, they all fight over it (giving resonance structures), meaning that in the end, you get a bond something between a double and a single bond for each Carbon-Oxygen bond. Therefore, this bond will be longer than a single bond, but shorter than a double bond:

So, this give the following increasing order of bond length:

[CO3]2-, CO2, CO

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

Cr(OH)3(s) +IO3(-)(aq) -->CrO4(-2)(aq) + I(-)(aq) remember in basic medium firstbalancing of oxidation number then balancing of O atom.Balancing of O atom is made by using H2O and OH-...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 4 days ago
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE If equal weights of oxygen and nitrogen are placed in separate containers of equal volume at the same temperature, which of the following...

according to the mole concept no of molecules is inversly proportional to molecular wt given that given wt is same n2 has more molecules

Rakshith Gore 7 months ago

(B)

Simran Bhatia 7 months ago

PIYUSH KAIWART 7 months ago
How many moles of O atoms are present in 88 g of CO2 ?

Moles = mass / molar mass Molar mass of CO2 is 44 and given mass of CO2 is 88 gm, So no. of moles come out to be 2. Thanks & Regards Ruchi Shaw askIITians faculty
  img
Ruchi Shaw 3 months ago

CO2 - ATOMIC MASS - 12 + 2 x 16 = 44 . HENCE UNDER - 1 MOLE - I.E UNDER 44 gms - - no of oxygen items are - 02 nos. HENCE - UNDER 44 GMS --- NO OF MOLES OF O ITEM - 2 ( I.E O2) THEREFORE -...

Tapan bapat 3 months ago

total mass co2 is 44 mass of given co2 is 88 in such a way nom of moles we get is 2.

T C YASHWANTH 3 months ago
Shortcut formula to find bond order.

Bond order = (No.of bonding electrons-no.ofanti bondingelectrons)/2 Thanks & Regards Ruchi Shaw askIITians faculty
  img
Ruchi Shaw 4 months ago

Thank you.

MAlav Shah 4 months ago
what id the symbol of sodium?

The symbol of sodium is Na. Thanks & Regards Aarti Gupta askiitians Faculty
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

the symbol of sodium is Na [Natrium]

manasa gorthy 2 months ago

sure?

Samrat 2 months ago
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE This section contains multiple questions. Each question contains STATEMENTS 1 (Assertion) and STATEMENT 2 (Reason). Each question has 4 choices...

img
Kevin Nash 8 months ago

Peroxide effect is shown only by HBr and it follows free radical mechanis. But if we take peroxide with HCl or HI or even wit HF there will no effect on it. The main thing to remeber is that...

Anurag Kshatri 7 months ago
View all Questions »