FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

The correct order of bond length for CO, CO2, CO3 2-(carbonate) is:

why?

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

When we consider a bond between two atoms, the type of bond gives a relative measure of the bond length.

Triple Bond Strongest, 3 electron pairs shared, shortest bond
Double Bond Middle, 2 electron pairs shared
Single Bond Weakest, 1 electron pair shared, longest bond

We need to determine the bond types for each molecule or ion:

CO, When drawing the lewis structure here, we end up with a triple bond between the carbon and the oxygen (and a -1 charge on the C and a +1 charge on the O)

CO2 This lewis structure gives one double bond between each oxygen and the carbon.

[CO3]2- This one is a little trickier, but when we draw the lewis structure for this ion, we get a double bond between one oxygen and the carbon, with single bonds between the other two oxygen atoms and the carbon. Because each of the oxygens want a double bond to the carbon, they all fight over it (giving resonance structures), meaning that in the end, you get a bond something between a double and a single bond for each Carbon-Oxygen bond. Therefore, this bond will be longer than a single bond, but shorter than a double bond:

So, this give the following increasing order of bond length:

[CO3]2-, CO2, CO

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
At what T, the following reaction will be spontaneous? Br2(l)→ Br2(g) Where, ΔH° = 30.91 kJ/mol, ΔS° = 93.2 J/mol.K

temp less than 331.69 hope it helped u plz aprve

grenade 27 days ago

the condition will be del G less than 0

grenade 27 days ago

the condition will be del G

grenade 27 days ago
a gaseous reaction, A2(g) =B(g) + 1/2C(g) shows increase in pressure from 100 mm to 120 mm in 5 min.The rate of disaapearnce of A2.?

Given the reaction is ..................................A2(g) …..............=......B(g)...... +....... 1/2C(g)...
  img
Naveen Kumar 8 months ago

sir but the ans is 8 mm/min.

Shriya Mehrotra 8 months ago

yes sir got it..thanks..

Shriya Mehrotra 8 months ago
I want to know the scientists related to law of chemical combination? please give me their photos with name?

JOHN DALTON U CAN FIND PHOTOS AT famousscientists.org/ john - dalton /

mohit vashishtha 21 days ago

JOHN DALTON go to wikipedia for photo

Nicho priyatham 20 days ago

JOHN DALTON

grenade 20 days ago
I have op tandon organic chemistry and solomons fryhle chemistry. WHich book should i read. OP tandon has only reaction whose mechanism are’nt there.So should i prefer solomon fryhle or op...

dont refer more forigen books refer those which are prepared for iit jee follow sanayal for mechnism n do practice from ms chouan or himinshu panday

Nicho priyatham 20 days ago

You may refer Modern’s ABC of Chemistry. It will help you grasp all the concepts with ease and give you ample scope of attempting numericals.

Rounak Datta 20 days ago

solomon frhyle is best book among ur choices u can do himanshu pandey for questions for practice it is very good book APPROVE IF USEFUL

ng29 19 days ago
i am very confuse double bond/triple bond is preferred over ether or opposite happens plzz help me..

Dear student kindly again post your question claerly as it is neccessary to know in what respect you are asking about double or triple bond preferrence over one other.It will only then clear...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Dear student as per IUPAC nomenclature,according to order of priority of various groups alkenes and alkynes with double or triple bonds respectively will be preffered over the ethers which...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Aarti mam in some book I have read tht ETHER is preferred over double nd triple bond and in other books opposite of the above fact so i just want to come confirm wht does generally happen?

Mohammad Kavish 2 months ago
The correct order of radii is N F - 2- 3- Na Fe 3+ 2+ 4+

second and 4 th option are not clear. Plz specify the charge carefully.
  img
Suraj Prasad 21 days ago

I have again posted the whole question so check it out.

Kartikey Sharma 14 days ago

will u please recorrect the question

grenade 20 days ago
View all Questions »