Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

9.8g of FeSO4.(NH4)2SO4.xH20 was dissolved in 250ml of its solution. 20ml of this solution required 20ml of Pottassiumpermanganate (KMnO4) SOLUTION CONTAIONING 3.53g of 90% pure KMnO4 dissolved per litre. Calculate x ?

Ans (6)
Sir, it is the question of "Modern Approach To chemical calculations" by Ramendra c. Mukerjee, page no.154,

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

conc of KMnO4 solu. = 3.53* 0.9  gm / lt.

=3.177 gm /lt

no. of equivalents of KMnO4  in 20 ml = 3.177  * 0.02 / 31.6

( eq. wt . of  KMnO4  is 31.6 )

= 2.01 m eq.

it reacts with the 20 ml . of given solu. , so the given solu. must also have the same no. of milli equivalents

no. of milli equivalents of FeSO4 . (NH4) 2 SO4 . x H2O  in this 20 ml = 2.01

total no. of milli equivalents  in 250 ml . = 250 * 2.01 /20

= 25.125

for FeSO4 . (NH4) 2 SO4 . x H2O  change in oxidation state in aredox reaction is +1

so,  the molecular wt . & equivalent wt. will be equal

so,  total no. of milli moles  in 250 ml  = 25.125

25.125 milli moles are presnt in the 9.8 gm , so

the mol. wt . of FeSO4 . (NH4) 2 SO4 . x H2O   =   9.8 / 25.125 *10-3

= 390.05 gm.

from the mol formula ,

mol. wt = 390.05 =  284 + x 18

x = 106.05 /18

= 5.88

this shows that the x must be 6

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Calculate relative rate of effusion of O2 to CH4 through a container containing O2 and CH4 in 3:2 mass ratio
Rate of O2= > R1 = (3x/32)A/root(32T) Rate of CH4 = > R2 = (x/8)A/root(16T) Divide both eqns. we get, R1/R2 = ¾ * root(16/32) = > 3/4root2 is the respective rate of effusion ratio.
Vikas TU 29 days ago
The dye acriflavine,when dissolved in water has its maximum fluorescence emission at 5080 angstorm . the number of fluorescence quanta is on the average 53% of the number of quanta absorbed...
ALERT Using the wave length of maximum absorption and emission ,what % of energy is emitted as fluorescence? This line is not matching with given datas...... Please recheck the question and...
Adil Khan 3 months ago
@ richa The questions are incomplete , Kindly recheck the question and post it again . REASON- maximum light absorption should be mentioned The energy of a photon is inversely proportional...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
why nature favours crystalline solids ? what is meant by anisotropic and isotropic character of solids ?
Because it forms the crystal lattice which can extends in all directions. Isotrophics are those which has all the properties same in all the respective directions Anistropics are those...
Vikas TU 29 days ago
What about order of strength of overlapping in 1s-1s, 2s-2s, 2s-2p, 2p-2p and 1s-2p??
Thank you sir but Directional bonds are more strong right?? I read in some book ,in that order is given as 1s-1s (because of size)> 2p-2p>2s-2p>2s-2s. I have a doubt so i asked here
Subramanya one month ago
@ subramanya the order of strength of overlapping is 1s-1s > 2s-2s > 1s-2p > 2s-2p > 2p-2p .. HOPE IT CLEARS YOUR DOUBT ALL THE BEST ..
Umakant biswal one month ago
I have the honour to state that I have faced some problem with those question below: 1.which compound dissolves in water:alkene,alkyne,alkane,benzene. 2.why C 6 H 5 OH is more acidic than...
@ emon i am answering the 2 nd part of your question . c6h5oh is more acidic due to resonance stabilised phenoxide ion . on the other hand in the case of ch3oh neither ethanol nor ethoxide...
Umakant biswal one month ago
suggest a good book for ORGANIC & INORGANIC Chemistry fot JEE(Mains & Advance) and also suggest a good book which has all the three sections of chemistry i.e, (Organic , Inorganic &...
@ aryan if u are considering both mains and adv , then they both are separate . beacuse jee mains testing how much facts u can remember , but jee adv are totally conceptual and they are...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
From my actual experience read NCERT books thoroughly. Every step every word every paraagraph is important. Books U can take then as: Organic chemitsry by Morrison and Boyd or by Shishir...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn