FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   what is the shape of ccl4 and why?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

CCl4 has a tetrahedral shape, owing to four bond pairs of electrons repelling each other to positions of maximum separation and minimum repulsion. The angle between bonds is 109.5 degrees.

In the carbon tetrachloride molecule, four chlorine atoms are positioned symmetrically as corners in a tetrahedral configuration joined to a central carbon atom by single covalent bonds. Because of this symmetrical geometry, the molecule has no net dipole moment; that is, CCl4 is non-polar. Methane gas has the same structure, making carbon tetrachloride a halomethane. As a solvent, it is well suited to dissolving other non-polar compounds, fats and oils. It can also dissolve iodine. It is somewhat volatile, giving off vapors having a smell characteristic of other chlorinated solvents, somewhat similar to the tetrachloroethylene smell reminiscent of dry cleaners' shops.

Shape of CCL4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best

Regards,

AskiitiansExpert

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Why do you test first the conductivity of water before the conductivities of solutions?

The conductivity of a substance as such in the form of solid powder /.granules or crystals is not realized unless they are ionized by dissolving them in the water , water being a universal...

vikas yadav 3 months ago

Moreover, onductivity is tested to take a reference measure .This reference tells you ,how much conductivity of water is increased or decreased after addition of an impurity to it .FOR...

vikas yadav 3 months ago
which book should i prefer for chemistry fo competition for iit

Whatever you feel like you can do. But plz complete it From my point of view Op tondon Ms chouhan P bahadur himanshu pandeyare good choices and even coaching pakages.
  img
Abhinav one month ago

for organic ms chouhan for inorganic op tandon for physical ks verma cengage

grenade one month ago

prefer balaji publication

rahul one month ago
calculate the mole fraction of benzene in a solution containing 40% by mass of toulene.?

Yes you are correct.I made the caculation using the total mass of the mixture is 100gm According to the question if the mass of touene is 100 gm mass of benzene=40 gm moles of toluene=92/100...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

let the mass of the total mixture be 100gm mass of the benzene=40gm mass of the toluene =60gm molecular weight of benzene and toluene =78 and 92 mole fraction of benzene =mole of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago

this is a simple question and you can get good things from solving this so just try

britto george 2 months ago
Which one of the following is a covalent hydride? A.) BeH2 B.) AsH3

its BeH2 because of brillyium’s anamolus properties

grenade one month ago

BeH2 is covalent hydride as it form as dimer

Aditya Sharma one month ago

Yes..@akshat

Aditya Sharma one month ago
Can anyone help me how to differentiate b/w nucleophile & base during rxn with halo – compounds? I know that nucleophile do substitution & base do elimination. But, when such rxn is given,...

In some cases a nucleophile can act as a good base also When a 1 0 alkyl halide (2 0 also in most cases) is involved in the reaction substitution happens. Elimination reactions occur for 3...

viswanath 5 months ago

Please tell me how would I know that I would use it as nucleophile for substitution or base for elimination. Talking to the point, I want to know the major difference b/w nucleophile & base ...

Shivam Chopra 5 months ago

Thanks for trying. I just want a major difference b/w nucleophile & a base except for that nucleophile attack on carbon & base on hydrogen.

Shivam Chopra 4 months ago
The number of bonded electrons pairs that are present in octahedral SF 6 molecules will be?

bonded electrons pairs that are present in octahedral SF 6 molecules will be 6 bcoz each fluorine atom is bonded to sulphur atoms in sf6 sulphur has 0 lone pair approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago

bonded electrons pairs that are present in octahedral SF 6 molecules will be 6 bcoz each fluorine atom is bonded to sulphur atoms in sf6 sulphur has 0 lone pair approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago
View all Questions »