FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   what is the shape of ccl4 and why?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

CCl4 has a tetrahedral shape, owing to four bond pairs of electrons repelling each other to positions of maximum separation and minimum repulsion. The angle between bonds is 109.5 degrees.

In the carbon tetrachloride molecule, four chlorine atoms are positioned symmetrically as corners in a tetrahedral configuration joined to a central carbon atom by single covalent bonds. Because of this symmetrical geometry, the molecule has no net dipole moment; that is, CCl4 is non-polar. Methane gas has the same structure, making carbon tetrachloride a halomethane. As a solvent, it is well suited to dissolving other non-polar compounds, fats and oils. It can also dissolve iodine. It is somewhat volatile, giving off vapors having a smell characteristic of other chlorinated solvents, somewhat similar to the tetrachloroethylene smell reminiscent of dry cleaners' shops.

Shape of CCL4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best

Regards,

AskiitiansExpert

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Jee pb

please see attachment first then read this remaining question if the second step is rate determining step then the order od rxⁿ wrt NO is

dear friend here the second step is the rate determining step or the slowest step. Here the slowest step is the second step.So the rate will depend on the concentration of 1 power of NO...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago

Since here the cesond step is rate determing therefore thge proceed of the reaction will depend on the second step which is the slowest step. The order of the reaction will be-k[NOBr2][NO]...
  img

yes you are correct but i missed one step i told that rate =k[NOBr2][NO] But rate of formation of NOBr2=k1[NO][Br2] therefore,rate=kk1[NO]^2[Br2] Thus the rate with respect to NO will be 2...
  img
We know that metal oxides are basic and non metal oxides are acidic. What nature does metal hydrides and non metal hydrides show?

Hydrides are those compounds which are formed between hydrogen and other elements.Depending on what elements the hydrogen bonds to,these are of following types- 1. Ionic hydrides –...
  img
Aarti Gupta 7 months ago

Yes ionic hydrides are basic so act as reducing agent in metallurgical proces.These are also known as saline hydrides as their properties are is similar to salt and covalent ones are...
  img
Aarti Gupta 7 months ago

This means that ionic and interstitial hydrides are basic and covalent hydrides are acidic. Isn’t it?

Shibashis Mallik 7 months ago
one litre of oxygen at NTP is allowed to react with trhree times ofcorbon-monoxide at NTP.calculate the volume of each gas found after the reaction?

½ O 2 + CO.....................> CO 2 1L............3L.........................0L 1L-1L.......3L-2L..................2L 0L.............1L........................2L
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago

Just apply the Avogadro’s law of equal volume, you will get the answer
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago
ethyl amine

its C2H5NH2 what do u wnat 2 ask about it kindly post ur que properly approve if useful

ng29 one month ago

Could u elaborate ?

Drake one month ago
i am very confuse double bond/triple bond is preferred over ether or opposite happens plzz help me..

In IUPAC naming of organic compounds containing double/triple bond and ether functional group, priority is given to the double bond/triple bond over ether group.
  img
Pankaj 28 days ago

You are always welcome
  img
Pankaj 20 days ago

THank u Pankaj Sir

Mohammad Kavish 25 days ago
suggest me a jee Advanced book for inorganic chemistry please or tell wether i should buy a “cengage inorganic” or a “ Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE Main/Advanced ” plz.

you should buy concise inorganic chemistry if u like to read in novel like style.

Pranshu 24 days ago

i think u should prefer pradeep objective and it is best book bcoz it is very selective and contains all the topics that are in jee advanced syllabi also contains quesyions for practice u...

ng29 26 days ago
View all Questions »