what is the shape of ccl4 and why?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

CCl4 has a tetrahedral shape, owing to four bond pairs of electrons repelling each other to positions of maximum separation and minimum repulsion. The angle between bonds is 109.5 degrees.

In the carbon tetrachloride molecule, four chlorine atoms are positioned symmetrically as corners in a tetrahedral configuration joined to a central carbon atom by single covalent bonds. Because of this symmetrical geometry, the molecule has no net dipole moment; that is, CCl4 is non-polar. Methane gas has the same structure, making carbon tetrachloride a halomethane. As a solvent, it is well suited to dissolving other non-polar compounds, fats and oils. It can also dissolve iodine. It is somewhat volatile, giving off vapors having a smell characteristic of other chlorinated solvents, somewhat similar to the tetrachloroethylene smell reminiscent of dry cleaners' shops.

Shape of CCL4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best

Regards,

AskiitiansExpert

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is limiting line balmer series ? What does the above line mean?

The Balmer series is the light emitted when the electron moves from shell n to shell 2. So the lowest energy line is emitted in the transition from n = 3 to n = 2, the next line is from n =...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Sir, what is the use of ∂ in the types of molicular obitals.

In chemistry, delta bonds (δ bonds) are covalent chemical bonds, where four lobes of one involved atomic orbital overlap four lobes of the other involved atomic orbital. This overlap...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 19 days ago

“Four lobes of one involved atomic orbital overlap four lobes of the other involved atomic orbital” Can you explain this statement & what is internuclear axis?

Vineeth 19 days ago
In the following image, i have doubts in the questions which i have encirled.

Dear student, The question isnt visible. Please elaborate on the question. Please upload the picture again and let us know once you are done with that. Once you clarify on this, it would...
  img
Sumit Majumdar one month ago
n factor of I ® I+

i depends on reaction... in genral n factor of I+ can be 1

Nikunj Sharma 5 days ago
Can I prepare complete Inorganic chemistry in 4 moths as I have not studied it at all.Can it be prepared in time that is left now.

Dear student yes you can definitely complete your inorganic chemistry in the period of 4 months,as it would be enough time for you.Don’t take stress while thinking that you...
  img
Aarti Gupta 22 days ago

Dear student NCERT book is very good but for the detail description of topics you should use other helping books also.As in such book you get the descriptions which you might need while...
  img
Aarti Gupta 22 days ago

Yeah, you can prepare Inorganic Chemistry in 4 months but just make sure you also keep in touch with other subjects .You can give majority of time to Inorganic but ewach subject is...
  img
Aziz Alam 22 days ago
what is the best way to remember reaction mechanisms?

In order to remember reaction mechanisms,first focus on how the reaction is taking place?What is adding and what gets removed during the reaction.This will simplify to remember the...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 days ago
View all Questions »