Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
                   what is the shape of ccl4 and why?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

CCl4 has a tetrahedral shape, owing to four bond pairs of electrons repelling each other to positions of maximum separation and minimum repulsion. The angle between bonds is 109.5 degrees.

In the carbon tetrachloride molecule, four chlorine atoms are positioned symmetrically as corners in a tetrahedral configuration joined to a central carbon atom by single covalent bonds. Because of this symmetrical geometry, the molecule has no net dipole moment; that is, CCl4 is non-polar. Methane gas has the same structure, making carbon tetrachloride a halomethane. As a solvent, it is well suited to dissolving other non-polar compounds, fats and oils. It can also dissolve iodine. It is somewhat volatile, giving off vapors having a smell characteristic of other chlorinated solvents, somewhat similar to the tetrachloroethylene smell reminiscent of dry cleaners' shops.

Shape of CCL4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best

Regards,

AskiitiansExpert

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Deacon’s process is used for the manufacturing

The Deacon process is a process used during the manufacture of alkalis (the initial end product was sodium carbonate) by the Leblanc process. Hydrogen ...

SHANMUKESHWAR 5 days ago

The Deacon process is a process used during the manufacture of alkalis (the initial end product was sodium carbonate) by the Leblanc process. Hydrogen ...

GANESH BABU 5 days ago

The Deacon process is a process used during the manufacture of alkalis

sanjay 5 days ago
4.5 gm of a metallic chloride contains 35.5 gm of chlorine .then what is the equivalent mass of metal

For an element theequivalent weightis the quantity that combines with or replaces 1.00797 grams (g) of hydrogen or 7.9997 g of oxygen; or, theweightof an element that is liberated in an...
  img
Charchit Tailong one month ago
Is lattice energy directly proportional to ionic charecter? Plz help me..!

Lattice energy is the amount of energyreleased when one mole of the ionic solid is formed by the combination of constituent ions of the compound in gaseous state.For ex-latiice energy of...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
what is the oxidation state of NO2

+1

sanjay 5 days ago

+1

srujanyadav 5 days ago
why do some solids show anisotrophy?

Solids ae of two types-1- Crystalline Solids 2- Amorphous Solids Crystalline Solids are anisotropic in nature which means some of their physical properties show different values when...

Nikhil Upadhyay 9 days ago

PLz approve my ans

Nikhil Upadhyay 9 days ago
ONE OF THE MOST DREADED TOPICS FOR ME. Please explain me clearly why the encircled carbon atom represent a chiral centre. How are we getting two different patterns on moving clockwise and...

a chiral carbon is a carbon which is attached to 4 different atoms. In this case the carbon encircled is attached to a hydrogen, a flourine, and then to a ring, but since the ring is...

Neeti one month ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details