Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

what is the shape of ccl4 and why?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

CCl4 has a tetrahedral shape, owing to four bond pairs of electrons repelling each other to positions of maximum separation and minimum repulsion. The angle between bonds is 109.5 degrees.

In the carbon tetrachloride molecule, four chlorine atoms are positioned symmetrically as corners in a tetrahedral configuration joined to a central carbon atom by single covalent bonds. Because of this symmetrical geometry, the molecule has no net dipole moment; that is, CCl4 is non-polar. Methane gas has the same structure, making carbon tetrachloride a halomethane. As a solvent, it is well suited to dissolving other non-polar compounds, fats and oils. It can also dissolve iodine. It is somewhat volatile, giving off vapors having a smell characteristic of other chlorinated solvents, somewhat similar to the tetrachloroethylene smell reminiscent of dry cleaners' shops.

Shape of CCL4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best

Regards,

AskiitiansExpert

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Is lattice energy directly proportional to ionic charecter? Plz help me..!

Lattice energy is the amount of energyreleased when one mole of the ionic solid is formed by the combination of constituent ions of the compound in gaseous state.For ex-latiice energy of...
  img
Aarti Gupta 26 days ago
please tell me the plan for study of some basic concepts of chemistry i am very much confused... how to study this chapter for iit jee..... can i study whole ncert then start from pradeep...

this chapter is not very difficult. but mole concept is hard. so study mole concept from some good books and take help from this site or any site on web. approve if u like

vindhya 24 days ago

YOU SHOULD READ BOOKS OF GRB PUBLICATION

Naveen Garhwal 29 days ago
An organic compound made OF C,N,H has 20% N The molecular mass of the compound if it contins only 1 H atom is??

The molecular mass of the compound is 70 as it molecular mass of nitrogen is 14 and it only comprises 20% of molecule so 100% would be 14x5=70 as it has already given that only one H atom
  img
Ashutosh Sharma 6 days ago
Hello Sir I know the trick to determine hybridisation of central atom. H=1/2 [V+M+A-C]. But i am struck in a problem where the no. inside brackets is odd i.e not divisible by 2. In that...

these things don’t always work therefore i would suggest you to draw the structure of the compound and count the number of sigma bonds and lone pairs, the sum of which is equal to the...

Neeti 9 days ago
what are chemical bonds please explain in detail that why the form please ,,,,,

Chemical compounds are formed by the joining of two or more atoms. A stable compound occurs when the total energy of the combination has lower energy than the separated atoms. The bound...

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya 14 days ago
View all Questions »