what is the shape of ccl4 and why?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

CCl4 has a tetrahedral shape, owing to four bond pairs of electrons repelling each other to positions of maximum separation and minimum repulsion. The angle between bonds is 109.5 degrees.

In the carbon tetrachloride molecule, four chlorine atoms are positioned symmetrically as corners in a tetrahedral configuration joined to a central carbon atom by single covalent bonds. Because of this symmetrical geometry, the molecule has no net dipole moment; that is, CCl4 is non-polar. Methane gas has the same structure, making carbon tetrachloride a halomethane. As a solvent, it is well suited to dissolving other non-polar compounds, fats and oils. It can also dissolve iodine. It is somewhat volatile, giving off vapors having a smell characteristic of other chlorinated solvents, somewhat similar to the tetrachloroethylene smell reminiscent of dry cleaners' shops.

Shape of CCL4

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best

Regards,

AskiitiansExpert

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is limiting line balmer series ? What does the above line mean?

The Balmer series is the light emitted when the electron moves from shell n to shell 2. So the lowest energy line is emitted in the transition from n = 3 to n = 2, the next line is from n =...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
I need help! I have an important test scheduled for Monday and I have to study Double , Back and Redox Titration. I have O.P Tandon Physical Chemistry but I fail to understand the concept...

I think this would help you Double titration means two titrations are done in a process. In this process: The first titration is done to standardize the titrant (usually taken in burette)....
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 29 days ago
Diboorane b2h6 can be prepared by the reaction 3NaBH4 + 4BF3 GIVES 3NaBF4 + 2B2H6 If the reaction has 70 % yield ,how many moles of NaBH4 should be used with excess BF3 in order to obtain...

3NaBH4 + 4BF3--------3NaBF4 + 2B2H6 1 mole of b2h6 produces 1.5 mole of nabh4 .2 mole of b2h6 will produce (1.5*10*10)/14=10.7 mole sice the yield is 70%
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
1)write bond line formula for tertiary butyl cyclo pentane. 2)convert benzene---P-Nitro Bromo Benzene

1. Bond Line Structure ofbutyl cyclo pentane. 2. Benzene to pera-nitro bromobenzene
  img
Pankaj 4 days ago
which element turns lead acetate paper black?

Hydrogen sulphide (H2S) turns lead acetate paper black. Thanks & Regards, Ruchi Shaw askIITians faculty
  img
Ruchi Shaw 6 months ago

H 2 S turn lead acetate paper black. Thanks & Regards Mukesh Sharma askIITians Faculty
  img
Mukesh Sharma 6 months ago
According to polyhedral electron count rule, the structure of Rh6(CO)16is (A) closo (B) nido (C) arachno (D) hypho

A option is ryt closo

vierandra kumar 6 months ago

sorry it is a)closo

akarsh 6 months ago

b) nido

akarsh 6 months ago
View all Questions »