Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

hoe de we know when there should be a double bond while making a lewis dot structure?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The number of valence electrons on a single O is 6. If two O's were to bond, then there should be a double bond present. A bond counts as two electrons and since it's a double bond, it already counts as four electrons being shared. At this point each O would have four unshared electrons each. Since both of them share four electrons and have another four unshared, the system follows the octet rule.

N has 5 valence electrons. If you use a double bond, the result would be four shared electrons and three unshared for each N. That would only sum up to seven and is obviously not following the octet rule. Hence, a triple bond is used.

H has only 1 valence electron and since we're bonding two H's, that amounts to a total of two. We can't have a double bond 'cause the H's can't share more than 1 electron each. That's why only a single bond occurs. And, if you check the number of electrons each, they'd follow the octet rule.

NOTE: For H doesn't need 8 electrons in it's valence shell to be stable. It only requires 2; the same number of valence electrons He (helium) has

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation. All the best.

Naga Ramesh

IIT Kgp - 2005 batch

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 2 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 2 months ago
what are the examples [elements and compounds] of fcc and bcc structures ?
The face centered cubic structure has atoms located at each of the corners and the centers of all the cubic faces . Each of the corner atoms is the corner of another cube so the corner...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
NCERT page 212 (2nd year part1).................................................................................
Anjitha 3 months ago
What are the type of questions asked in stoichometry in neet and can you please suggest me the simplest way to solve them
@ jayadhir stochiometry is the besic concept of chemistry , mainly as far as competetive exams are concerned , then they will ask u the ques from mole concept , calculating the...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Is the complex Co[(Nh3)2(h20)4] is paramagnetic or diamagnetic
U would have to find the configuration and hybridization .of Co. then count the numver of d-electrons according to tyhe Bonding and Antibonding table as per given in the NCERT book and then ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i have not prepare that well for cbse or iit please give advice for how can i complete my subjects and get good grades.
@ shivam donot get frustrated , there are enough time left for cbse board exam to prepare . now , what u have to do s below 1- read out the ncert only , and solve exercise and intext...
Umakant biswal one month ago
W​hich is the most basic---CrO3, Mn2O7, NiO, V2O5???? ​
The more the oxidation state the more ot’s oxide would be basic. As Cr has +3 oxidation state. Mn has +7 state. Ni has +2 state. V has +5 state. Mn2O7 > V2O5 > CrO > NiO
Vikas TU 10 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn