Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

What are colloidal solution? How are they different?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Colloidal solution or colloidal state or colloidal dispersion, represent an intermediate kind of a mixture between true solution and suspension. The size of a colloidal particle lies roughly between 1-100 nm. Colloids are also a two-phase heterogeneous system consisting of the dispersed phase and dispersion medium. However, colloidal particles present in small amount as the dispersed phase component behave like a solute in a solution when suspended in a solvent phase or dispersing medium, because of their small size. Since the dispersed phase in a colloidal system is uniformly distributed in the dispersion medium, the colloidal state appears homogenous to the naked eye or even an ordinary microscope (due to particles being invisible). However it is a heterogeneous dispersion of two immiscible phases and this is proved by viewing it under an ultra-microscope, where the light reflected by colloidal particles can be seen. Colloidal particles do not settle down under gravity: a colloidal solution of gold prepared by Faraday over 125 years ago continues to be in excellent condition even today. Colloids can pass through ordinary filter paper but do not pass through animal membranes.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

i need sone tips to prepare for higher exams. like, we should prioritise theories or numericals? for example, i m currently preparing mole concept
Hii I can help you with some books if you need that. Study from these books and topics will easy to you. Reference Books for Engineering Entrance Exam Chemistry NCERT Chemistry text books of...
Sourabh Singh 2 months ago
@ NAVYA kindly mention you are preparing for engg or medical entraance exams , so, that i can help u suitably . if u are focusing more on medical entrances then u need to solve problem in...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
500 ml of gaseous hydrocarbon when burnt in excess of of O2 gave 2.5 l of CO2 and 3.0 l of H20(vap) the hydrocarbon is
Write the eqn. first and balance it. CxHy + (2x + y/2)O2 =======> xCO2 + (y/2)H2O moles = 0.5/22.4 moles = 2.5/22.4 moles = 3/22.4 Now, from limiting reagent concept, 0.0223/1 = 0.111/x or...
Vikas TU 25 days ago
thermodynamics,chemistry question is attached....................................
U=nc(at const. vol.)dt=5000J, but how come the answer is 6000J.........................................................
Naveen Shankar one month ago
The system is working at constant pressure. hence Change in internal energy is given as: U = F/2 nRt + (F/2+1)nRt here t is change in temp from final to initial. F is degree of freedom. n...
Vikas TU one month ago
Why Oxygen is more soluble in flouroCarbon as compare to water??
In flurocarbon fluorine being most electronegative atom attracts the oxygen atom towards it and tries to dissociate with it to increase the solubility and in H2O the Oxugen atom itself...
Vikas TU 14 days ago
Please give me the correct stability order for Cabocation. In different books different orders are thereWhich is correct
@ joseph 1- increasing substitution increaseas stability we look at the no. of bonding electrons that are attached to carbocation beacuse those bonding electrons , will help in allivating...
Umakant biswal 22 days ago
Hi, for the stability of carbocation always remember this trick, +MR HI This is the order of checking the stability in sequence wise. +M => +mesomeric effect {learn the +M effect showing...
Vikas TU 22 days ago
Generally the stability of carbocation is tertiary > secondary > primary > methyl this is generally decided by mesomerism ,inductive effect and the hyperconjugation
Amay chugh 20 days ago
Please explain me about hybridization. is that important for JEE Mainas and Advace 2018?
@ sakthi hybridisation can be defined as the mixing of atomic orbital belonging to the same atom but having slightly diffrent energy , so that the same no of new orbital will formed which...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn