why do elements like copper iron show variable valency .plzzz explain.............

3 years ago

Answers : (4)

Because copper and iron have same number of electrons in outermost orbit

3 years ago

The IUPAC definition limits valence to the maximum number of univalent atoms that may combine with the atom, that is the maximum number of valence bonds that is possible for the given element.
The oxidation state of an atom in a molecule gives the number of valence electrons it has gained or lost. In contrast to the valency number, the oxidation state can be positive (for an electropositive atom) or negative (for an electronegative atom). 
Not only d block elements have variable valency, Oxygen, Nitrogen, etc., some inert pair effected elements also having variable oxidation state

3 years ago

i think this is due to inert pair effect because when there is an increase in numbr of orbitals the electrons of outer most shell do held tightly and hence they do show variable oxidation states. infact not only copper, iron, nd d- blok elements but others do so for example thallium, lead, etc. summing up the d nd f orbitals show poor screening effect. hence the case so.

3 years ago

because they have variable electronic configuration

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
is there any ideal solution

no

mohit yadav 11 months ago

no solution completely behaves as ideal solution but some solution some some of the characteristics of ideal solution.....!!!

Murtaza Khanjiwala 11 months ago

Oh yes, there are. Eg:A mixture of two hydrocarbons.

Kaushik 11 months ago
Can the batteries used in torchlights be recharged after their discharge?Give reason.

Iron pole on the beach is little time to oxidation then it gets rust than the iron pole in the sea water ..

Rajesh 3 months ago

Torch lights have primary cells, in this cells redoxreactions occurs only once and can`t be used again.

Rajesh 4 months ago

which of the following is corroded faster?iron pole in sea water or iron pole in the beach

paidy kumar 4 months ago
Hi, Two blocks of masses 2 kg and 4 kg are connected through a massless inextensible string. The co-efficient of friction between 2 kg block and ground is 0.4 and the coefficient of friction...

Hi Aniket. We'll start by writing equation for FBD of both of these. Thanks & Regards, Arun Kumar, Btech,IIT Delhi, Askiitians Faculty
  img
Arun Kumar one month ago

i can`t understand it....Plz do the solution in easy way...

Aniket Bhardwaj one month ago

What is T in Solution?

Aniket Bhardwaj one month ago
I am really confused at this. As far as I know is CH3 increases electron density in the ring, thus toluidiene must be more basic. But that''s not what my book says(that aniline is...

if its ortho toluidine, then its less basic than aniline because of "ortho effect".... whilst meta and para toluidine as you said are more basic than aniline....

Varun Acharya 7 months ago

did you understand my explanation... if yes then plz reply positively.... ;)

Varun Acharya 5 months ago

*toluidiene --> toluidine

Abhishek Verma 7 months ago
what is it

Hydrogen Bonding is an ionic interaction between a Polar Hydrogen and an Electronegative element. Lets take two molecules of HF. Since F is highly electronegative, The bond pair lectrons...

Mujahid Ahmed one year ago

Hydrogen bond is defined as the electrostatic attraction between hydrogen atom and other atom with different electronegativity,i.e,,between H and F,O,N elements.e.g:HF-HF molecule has...

BAYANA SAGAR one year ago
What are the metal ion are present in carnalite?(EAMCET 2006 ENGINEERING) 1) Mg 2+ , K + 2) Al 3+ , Na + 3) Na + , Mg 2+ 4) Zn 2+ , Mg 2+

The Metal ion present in Carnalite is : ( 1 ) Mg +2 , K + Thanks & Regards Akshay Meena, askIITians Faculty M.Tech,IIT Kharagpur
  img
Akshay Meena 6 months ago

Its formula is KMgCl3 so the metal ions or cations present in it are Mg^2+ and K^+

Srijan Sinha 6 months ago
View all Questions »