why do elements like copper iron show variable valency .plzzz explain.............

3 years ago

Answers : (4)

Because copper and iron have same number of electrons in outermost orbit

3 years ago

The IUPAC definition limits valence to the maximum number of univalent atoms that may combine with the atom, that is the maximum number of valence bonds that is possible for the given element.
The oxidation state of an atom in a molecule gives the number of valence electrons it has gained or lost. In contrast to the valency number, the oxidation state can be positive (for an electropositive atom) or negative (for an electronegative atom). 
Not only d block elements have variable valency, Oxygen, Nitrogen, etc., some inert pair effected elements also having variable oxidation state

3 years ago

i think this is due to inert pair effect because when there is an increase in numbr of orbitals the electrons of outer most shell do held tightly and hence they do show variable oxidation states. infact not only copper, iron, nd d- blok elements but others do so for example thallium, lead, etc. summing up the d nd f orbitals show poor screening effect. hence the case so.

3 years ago

because they have variable electronic configuration

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I need help! I have an important test scheduled for Monday and I have to study Double , Back and Redox Titration. I have O.P Tandon Physical Chemistry but I fail to understand the concept...

I think this would help you Double titration means two titrations are done in a process. In this process: The first titration is done to standardize the titrant (usually taken in burette)....
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
A Liquid mixture containing 1 mole benzene and 1 mole of toulene . The vapour pressure of pure benzene and toulene is 103 and 32.05 mm of hg.Then find out the pressure ,the composition of...

mole fraction of benzene=1/2 and that of toluene=1/2 we have partial pressure of benzene=1/2*103 mm=51.5 mm and partial pressure of toluene=.5*32.05=16.025 mm therefore total pressure=sum of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
Which of the following hydrocarbons has the lowest dipolemoment? Give explanation. (1) Trans-2-butene (2) 2-butyne (3) 1-butyne (4) But-1-en-3-yne

Dipole moment (μ) is the measure of net molecular polarity, trans 2 butene has a dipole moment of 0 because the presence of each CH3 group on the opposite side cancels each other effect
  img

Dipole moment (μ) is the measure of net molecular polarity, trans 2 butene has a dipole moment of 0 because the presence of each CH3 group on the opposite side cancels each other effect
  img
Will the number of protons change if the atom forms a molecule?(IE)WHEN THE NUMBER OF ELECTRON CHANGES

The protons are presnt in side the nucleus and are not getiing afttected by the reactions, so their number remains uneffected unless you consider nuclear...
  img
Harishwar 15 hours ago
calculate moles of 100g of electrons

1 e - is 9.1x10 -31 kg No of electrons in 100g i.e 0.1 kg = 0.1/(9.1x10 -31 ) 6.022 x 10 23 no of electron= 1 mole .1/(9.1x10 -31 ) electrons= ( 1/(6.022 x 10 23 ) )x (.1/(9.1x10 -31 )) =...
  img
Harsh Patodia 28 days ago
What explanation do we give for the acidic nature sequence ch4

because it donate h+ ion.

ANKIT 3 days ago

BECAUSE IT DEBddddB

ANKIT 3 days ago
View all Questions »