DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu

why do elements like copper iron show variable valency .plzzz explain.............

4 years ago

Answers : (4)

Because copper and iron have same number of electrons in outermost orbit

4 years ago

The IUPAC definition limits valence to the maximum number of univalent atoms that may combine with the atom, that is the maximum number of valence bonds that is possible for the given element.
The oxidation state of an atom in a molecule gives the number of valence electrons it has gained or lost. In contrast to the valency number, the oxidation state can be positive (for an electropositive atom) or negative (for an electronegative atom). 
Not only d block elements have variable valency, Oxygen, Nitrogen, etc., some inert pair effected elements also having variable oxidation state

4 years ago

i think this is due to inert pair effect because when there is an increase in numbr of orbitals the electrons of outer most shell do held tightly and hence they do show variable oxidation states. infact not only copper, iron, nd d- blok elements but others do so for example thallium, lead, etc. summing up the d nd f orbitals show poor screening effect. hence the case so.

4 years ago

because they have variable electronic configuration

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

4.5 gm of a metallic chloride contains 35.5 gm of chlorine .then what is the equivalent mass of metal

For an element theequivalent weightis the quantity that combines with or replaces 1.00797 grams (g) of hydrogen or 7.9997 g of oxygen; or, theweightof an element that is liberated in an...
  img
Charchit Tailong one month ago
How to calculate n factor and equivalent mass?

when equations are given. balance the equations carefully. Calculate the change in oxidation number and that is equal to n. Now equivalent weight is molecular weight of the substance under...

Neeti one month ago

→ change in oxidation number is the best method. → charge on cationic or anionic part → no. of replacable H (hydrogen) atoms → no. of replacable OH

Vaibhav Gupta one month ago

equivalent mass = Molecular Mass/n-factor

Vaibhav Gupta one month ago
important organic chemistry preparation

organic chemistry contains about carbon explanations carbon contains many forms it divided so many carbons forms like fullerene diamonds and graphite all are the fuels are used carbons this ...

L GOUSE BASHA 12 days ago
if i leave organic chemistry for jee! how many marks i will lose approximately?

IN JEE MAINS ORGANIC CHEMISTRY CONSIDERED 4-7 QUESTIONS JEE MAINS YOU CAN PREPARE PHYSICS WELL WHY BECAUSE PHYSICS SUBJECT IS VERY TUFF IN EVERY YEAR JEE MAINS MY SUGGESTIONS IS PREPARED...

L GOUSE BASHA 4 days ago
what is the preparation of nitric acid?

NaNO3 react with H2SO4 then it can be forms HNO3 and Na2SO4

BOLLU SRINIVAS 3 days ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers