why do elements like copper iron show variable valency .plzzz explain.............

3 years ago

Answers : (4)

Because copper and iron have same number of electrons in outermost orbit

3 years ago

The IUPAC definition limits valence to the maximum number of univalent atoms that may combine with the atom, that is the maximum number of valence bonds that is possible for the given element.
The oxidation state of an atom in a molecule gives the number of valence electrons it has gained or lost. In contrast to the valency number, the oxidation state can be positive (for an electropositive atom) or negative (for an electronegative atom). 
Not only d block elements have variable valency, Oxygen, Nitrogen, etc., some inert pair effected elements also having variable oxidation state

3 years ago

i think this is due to inert pair effect because when there is an increase in numbr of orbitals the electrons of outer most shell do held tightly and hence they do show variable oxidation states. infact not only copper, iron, nd d- blok elements but others do so for example thallium, lead, etc. summing up the d nd f orbitals show poor screening effect. hence the case so.

3 years ago

because they have variable electronic configuration

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
pH of 10 power -9M HCl is approx.? ( not getting correct ans.)

Here H+ obtained by only HCl is =10 -9 M As we also know that the H+ obtained by dissociation of water=10 -7 M So here we can see thaty the H+ released by water is more that the dissociation...
  img
Naveen Kumar 27 days ago

thanku sir.

Shriya Mehrotra 26 days ago
Sir, can you represent internuclear axis in figure

Internuclear axis is the line connecting two nuclei. Here the axis of orbital is different from the internuclear axis. in Sigma bond : Axes of both overlapping orbitals is same as the...
  img
Ramreddy one month ago

axis of orbital is different from the internuclear axis ? in figure And how the axis of orbital can you represent internuclear axis &

Vineeth one month ago
Sir , I cant visulize this image and understand it can you explain?

The above figure can be understand in terms of Molecular orbital theory .According to this theory the electrons are not assigned to individual bonds between atoms, but are treated as moving...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

Thanks for your deep answer , I have more doubt from your answer i belive you will help me to get me out of it. They are Why 2P y is not participating ihere? In the statment “ . Can only PI...

Vineeth one month ago
structure of organic compound

An organic compound is any member of a large class of gaseous, liquid, or solid chemical compounds whose molecules contain carbon. Carbon has four valence electrons 2s2 2p2 and it must...
  img
Raheema Javed one month ago

Hi Student Please mention in more detail, which organic compound’s structure you want to know since there are large number of organic compounds. If you looking for anything else please...
  img
Harsh Patodia one month ago
Hi experts could you notify me on the BITSAT 2015 announcement and also suggest me which book to refer for organic chemistry – OP Tandon or RS Agarwal.

Important Notifications for BITSAT! BITSAT date of Examination - 14th May to 1st June 2014 BITSAT 2014 Notification released. Online application has begun. To apply online for BITSAT go to...
  img
Harishwar one month ago

Thanks for the reply. Again confused. Are you replying about 2014 announcement?

Vishuwaesh one month ago
CO2 is a gas,while silica is a solid.Explain....?

Hi student Gaseous state occurs when there are weaker bonds in between the molecules as compare to the solids where strong bonds are present . Same case is there in case of CO 2 and SiO 2....
  img
Anjali Ahuja 13 days ago

Co2 is a gas because of its symmetrical shape and it is without polarity whereas SiO2 has different types of bond .it can easily form network bonds and in other words the bonds are polar in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 13 days ago
View all Questions »