Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 2,600 off

Cu+ is not stable and undergoes disproportion. E for cu+ disproportionation.

(E°  cu2+/cu =0.153V , E°  cu+/cu=0.53V).

(a)  +0.683 V

(b)  -0.367 V

(c) +0.3415 V

(d) +0.367 V

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

I want th make a small correction to question

Its cu2+/cu+ =0.153V  i.e.,                     cu2+ + e-   ------>  cu+            E0 = 0.153 V

Now going into problem

Cu+ solutions, tend to give a disproportion reaction:

2Cu+ ----- >   Cu + Cu2+

cu+ + e-    ------>  cu                                E0 = 0.53 V        so,  nE0 = 0.53 V    

cu+            ------>  cu2+ + e-               E0 = - 0.153 V       so,  n E0 = - 0.153 V 

on adding above rxns we get   

2Cu+ ----- >   Cu + Cu2+                  with  E0 = +0.377 V   

Option is D

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 2 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 2 months ago
why water has specific heat capacity? Explain
Water's high heat capacity is a property caused by hydrogen bonding among water molecules. When heat is absorbed, hydrogen bonds are broken and water molecules can move freely. When the...
Gajula Sandeep one month ago
Calculate relative rate of effusion of O2 to CH4 through a container containing O2 and CH4 in 3:2 mass ratio
Rate of O2= > R1 = (3x/32)A/root(32T) Rate of CH4 = > R2 = (x/8)A/root(16T) Divide both eqns. we get, R1/R2 = ¾ * root(16/32) = > 3/4root2 is the respective rate of effusion ratio.
Vikas TU 24 days ago
WHAT IS MEANT BY SOLUTION.................................................?
Solution is the mixture of many or atleast two differnt propertiesess materials. The minor part is the solute and the major part is the solvent. Both get mixed and is called the solution.
2017 years ago
Why does Wurtz reaction wont work with odd number of carbon atoms? Please elaborate. Thanks.
It is not that wutz reaction does not work with odd number it works but a lot of products are formed and you cannot separate the products thus you dont get the desired product
Biswajit dash 21 days ago
Can`t understand how to name compounds in IUPAC and common names, and how are they attached to compounds??
@ pallavi KIndly be specific , as there are so much groups in alkanes which can be attached , else u can just post a pic of organic compound and i can give u the full explanation on how...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 4,950 off

Get extra R 2,600 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn