Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Qn.  When pressure is applied to the equilibrium system ‘Ice – Water’ which of the following phenomenon will happen?

A.     More ice will be formed

B.     Water will evapourate

C.     More water will be formed

D.    Equilibrium will not be established. 

Sir shouldn't the answer be A- more ice will be formed. because when pressure is applied to this equilibrium, acc to Le chatelier principle, the reaction would proceed in such a way that it opposes the change. So the the reaction would try decreasing the pressure i.e. increasing the volume! And ice has more volume than water at equilibrium (0 degree C)?? But A is not the answer. Please explain.

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

For most substances, increasing the pressure when a system is in equilibrium between liquid and solid phases will increase the phase transition temperature. Water is one of a few special substances for which the pressure lowers the temperature of transition. The basic reason is that water actually expands when it goes from the liquid to solid phase. In textbooks you will find the explanation for these properties by using the Clapeyron-Clausius formula, but it is perhaps most readily explained using LeChatelier's principle.

This principle states that when a system is in equilibrium, any external changes that try to take it out of equilibrium (like applying pressure to ice) will cause the system to adjust in a way to counteract that change. This is a general property of what we mean by 'equilibrium' so it probably derives more from the Second Law of Thermodynamics ('equilibrium is the state in which entropy is maximized') than the First Law .In this case, if you increase the pressure on the ice the ice-water system wants to try to lower it again. It can do that by making itself fit into a smaller volume. But since water fills a smaller volume when it's liquid, rather than solid, it will go to a lower melting point -- allowing more solid to become liquid.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
What is the hybridisation of N in N(CH3)3 and in N(SIH3)3
Dear student Hybridisation of N in N(CH3)3 will be sp3 whereas in N(SiH3)3 will be sp2 due to back bonding.
Bhavya one month ago
how ClF3 is formed by sp3d hybridisation though Cl has 2 paired orbitals after exitation of electrons to d-orbital
Oh so EaSy. Formula for hybridisation isn=[no. Of v.e. +mono valent atom other than central atome +nagetive charg - positive charg on compoundTake a lookEx. Hybridisation. In...
2017 years ago
The outer most orbital of Cl is 3rd orbital .In this orbital 1electron jump from 3p^5 subshell to vacant 3d .So two unpaired in P and one unpaired in d .hence 3 F atom comes and bond formed...
-1 hours ago
How to identify colours in coordination compounds?..................
@ giya the colour of the compound can be identified by finding out the ions present in the compound , the metal ion absorbs certain wavelength of light and reflects the opposite colour ....
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Why CCl3- anion is more stable than C6H5CH2-? I think the only possibility is by comparing the -I effect of Cl and Phenyl group. Generally we can see the possibility of negative charge...
I believe vacant d orbital option shall come last as in the first place itself we see Phenyl ring has larger possibility of negative charge dispersion. Further as we all may know...
Dattatray Biradar one month ago
the reason is simple. in CCl3- cholrine atoms has vacnat d- orbitals. and that is the reason it make sit more stable.
Vikas TU one month ago
how to determine the presence of cross conjugation in a compound?
@ pranav frst of all u need to draw the structure of the compound , and then try to figure out the bonds , and their classification , after doing that u can easily figure out which bonds...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn