One of the limitations of octet rule is the formation of compounds having odd no . of electrons. Please someone explain me how its a limitation of octet rule. I'll surely approve all correct answers

One of the limitations of octet rule is the formation of compounds having odd no . of electrons.

Please someone explain me how its a limitation of octet rule.

I'll surely approve all correct answers

Grade:11

2 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear nitin,

Limitation 1: each bond represents two electrons, there can only be so many bonds based on the number of valence electrons present.

Limitation 2: each atom has only a certain number of valence orbitals which it can use while making bonds.  Hydrogen only has a 1s orbital available so it's total electron count is limited to 2 ( a single bond).  The second period elements (with only 2s + 2p available) are limited to total electron counts of 8.

Limitation 3: Geometric constraints arise because the atomic orbitals on atoms have certain directional character (with the exception of "s" orbitals which are spherical).  This allows them to bond effectively in only certain ways.  This limitation will be expounded upon later, but suffice it to say that two carbon atoms bonded in the gas phase (C2) cannot exhibit a bond order of 4 because all three 2p orbitals cannot localize electron density between the nuclei simultaneously.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Nitin Gupta
16 Points
13 years ago

I don't want to ask that.

And please tell me from where are you getting answers to my questions (I mean the pictures etc.).If you could tell me I can directly refer to that.

And Thanks a lot for answering my other questions.And as per I said I have also approved your answers except this because in this I don't want to ask what you replied.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free