I want 3D structures of molecules to understand the shapes of molecules fully.The shapes for which I want 3D structures are -- 1.Triangular Planar 2.Tetrahedral 3.Trigonal Bipyramidal 4.Octahedral 5.Pentagonal Bipyramidal Please provide me structures.Please*infinity

I want 3D structures of molecules to understand the shapes of molecules fully.The shapes for which I want 3D structures are --

1.Triangular Planar

2.Tetrahedral

3.Trigonal Bipyramidal

4.Octahedral

5.Pentagonal Bipyramidal

Please provide me structures.Please*infinity 

Grade:11

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear nitin,

Total Number of electron pairs Arrangement of electron pairs Number of bonding pairs of electrons Number of lone pairs of electrons Shape of Molecule Name of Shape Bond Angle Examples
not applicable linear 1 not applicable linear 180o H2, HCl
2 linear 2 0 linear 180o CO2, HCN
3 trigonal planar 3 0 triganol planar 120o BCl3, AlCl3
4 tetrahedral 4 0 tetrahedral 109.5o CH4, SiF4
3 1 trigonal pyramidal <109.5o (bond angles in ammonia, NH3, are 107o) NH3, PCl3
2 2 bent <109.5o (bond angles in water, H2O, are 105o) H2O, SCl2
5 trigonal bipyramidal 5 0 trigonal bipyramidal 120o in the trigonal planar part of the molecule, 90o for the others PCl5
6 octahedral 6 0 octahedral 90o SF6

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free