Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 520 off
USE CODE: MOB20

what is an ideal gas equation? express it mathematically.

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear prince,

By combining Boyle's and Charles' laws, an equation can be derived that gives the simultaneous effect of the changes of pressure and temperature on the volume of the gas. This is known as combined Ideal Gas Equation. A simple and direct method of deriving this equation is as follows:

According to Boyle's law, for a given mass of a gas at constant temperature

boyle s law

According to Charles' law,

Charles law

Combining (i) and (ii)

combination of boyle s and charles law

or

or

Now, if V1 is the volume of a gas at temperature T1 and pressure P1. V2 is the volume of same amount of gas at temperature T2 and pressure P2, then

relation between pressure volume temperature

The above relationship is very useful for converting the volume of a gas from one set of conditions to another.

The numerical value of the constant of proportionality (K) depends upon the quantity of gas. The volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas at constant temperature and pressure (Avogadro's law). This means that 'K' is directly proportional to the number of moles, 'n', i.e.,

K n

or K = nR,

where 'R' is the universal gas constant of proportionality. The value of 'R' is same for all gases.

However, the numerical value of 'R' varies with the units in which pressure and volume are expressed. Therefore the Ideal gas Equation is derived as:

ideal gas equation

For one mole (n = 1),

PV = RT (Ideal Gas Equation)

The Ideal Gas Equation is also known as the equation of state for gases as it expresses the quantitative relation ship between the four variables that describe the state of the gas. The word 'ideal' is used here because in reality no gas obeys the above condition and the gases, which deviate from ideality are called as real gases.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

pv=nrt

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

what is meant by entropy..........................................................?

@ sharda entropy of a system is actually the measurement of degree of randomess ordisorderliness of a system . it is a thermodynamic property and represented by a letter S . the entropyof...

Umakant biswal 4 months ago

entropy is the sudden change in randomness of the system due to may be from exapnding, contracting, collision etc. small example → take a glass of water and Eno. eno prsesnt in packed...

cris gayle 4 months ago

entropy is the sudden change in randomness of the system due to may be from exapnding, contracting, collision etc. small example → take a glass of water and Eno. eno prsesnt in packed paper...

Vikas TU 4 months ago
In the chapter Solid State Class 12, how to classify any solid or elements on the basis of their bonds i.e. covalent bond, molecular bond etc ???

Depending upon the type of bonding present , Solids can be divided as : 1) Covalent Solids 2) Ionic solids 3) Molecular solids 4) Metallic solids
  img
Suraj Prasad 6 months ago

Ok , thats the same thing i told , u just need to see the configuration of examples . i am giving that below potassium sulphate – ionic solid tin – mettalic solid benzene – molecular (non...

Umakant biswal 6 months ago

@ shreyas On the besic of bond present there are no such classification as tetraphosphorous decosides , and aluminium phosphates . Besic of the bond there are 4 types of classification 1-...

what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.

@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...

You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...

Ankit 6 months ago

u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction chapter...

the hybridization of phosphorus in PCl 5 (in solid state ) is 1)sp 3 2)sp 3 d 2 3)sp 3 d 4)both 1 and 2

sp3d is the right answer. In excited state, intermixing of a 3s, three 3p and one 3d orbitals gives five half filled sp 3 d hybrid orbitals, which are arranged in trigonal bipyramidal...

dolly bhatia one month ago

@ krishna option no 3 turns out to be the correct option , here , the orbitals are filled by electrons of five cl atom . there are 5 p-cl sigma bond , three in one plane and make an angle of...

Umakant biswal 3 months ago

i hope to no.3 because phosphours atom contain in last subshell is 5 electron and not contain a lone pair and here is 5 chlorine atom .then we add up eletron and we get a 10 and we devided...

sahabudin ali 2 months ago

It should be option 4 as PCl5 exists in [PCl4]+ and [PCl6]- in solid state....as in first case it is Sp3 and that in second it is Sp3d2

5 days ago
sir iam a iiit students in RAGIV GANDHI UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGIES, there is a semister it infront of me in 10 days.i don’t know any thing about chemistry.it is a ncert syllubus.please send...

@ badugu they are ncert books topic , i am mentioning some imp chapter name below 1- COORDINATION COMPOUND ( PART 2 CHEMI ) 2- GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY ( 11TH 2ND PART ) 3-...

Umakant biswal one month ago

Dear Vijay, Go through these topics first as atmost importat ones: Aldehyde and Ketones Biomolecules Alcohols and ethers Coordination Compounds Solid states Electrrochemistry Solutions D and...

Vikas TU one month ago

@ badugu , kindly be specific in asking the ques , earlier u told that u have ncert syllabus , and i have given the chapters from ncert textbooks only . kindly conform which publication u...

Umakant biswal one month ago
How many unpaired electrons are present in superoxide ion?

But the answer is 3.. As in molecular orbital theory the unpaired electrons in oxygen molecule is 2.. It accepts 1 electron to form superoxide ion.. That electron instead of pairing with 2...

Suraj Singh 16 days ago

And now I am agree with my solution.. You should check it once.... .. And thanq for the concern... .....

Suraj Singh 16 days ago

It`s unfortunately wrong..................................... ................. NOť less than 100 char

Suraj Singh 17 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 520 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts