Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

what is an ideal gas equation? express it mathematically.

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear prince,

By combining Boyle's and Charles' laws, an equation can be derived that gives the simultaneous effect of the changes of pressure and temperature on the volume of the gas. This is known as combined Ideal Gas Equation. A simple and direct method of deriving this equation is as follows:

According to Boyle's law, for a given mass of a gas at constant temperature

boyle s law

According to Charles' law,

Charles law

Combining (i) and (ii)

combination of boyle s and charles law

Now, if V1 is the volume of a gas at temperature T1 and pressure P1. V2 is the volume of same amount of gas at temperature T2 and pressure P2, then

relation between pressure volume temperature

The above relationship is very useful for converting the volume of a gas from one set of conditions to another.

The numerical value of the constant of proportionality (K) depends upon the quantity of gas. The volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas at constant temperature and pressure (Avogadro's law). This means that 'K' is directly proportional to the number of moles, 'n', i.e.,

K n

or K = nR,

where 'R' is the universal gas constant of proportionality. The value of 'R' is same for all gases.

However, the numerical value of 'R' varies with the units in which pressure and volume are expressed. Therefore the Ideal gas Equation is derived as:

ideal gas equation

For one mole (n = 1),

PV = RT (Ideal Gas Equation)

The Ideal Gas Equation is also known as the equation of state for gases as it expresses the quantitative relation ship between the four variables that describe the state of the gas. The word 'ideal' is used here because in reality no gas obeys the above condition and the gases, which deviate from ideality are called as real gases.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

what is the bond angle of sp 3 ,sp 2 and sp hybridisatio ?
Hi!prasad, The bond angle of sp 3 hybridisation is 109.5 degree. The bond angle of sp 2 hybridisation is 120 degree. The bond angle of sp hybridised is 180 degree. Hope it’s helps you. ALL...
nath 2 months ago
hi prasad the bond length of sp 3 hybridisation [H-C-H] is 109.5degree and sp 2 hybridation length is 120 degree and sp hybridation bond length is 180 degrees. I wish it is help you
jayachandra 2 months ago
what are the examples [elements and compounds] of fcc and bcc structures ?
The face centered cubic structure has atoms located at each of the corners and the centers of all the cubic faces . Each of the corner atoms is the corner of another cube so the corner...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
NCERT page 212 (2nd year part1).................................................................................
Anjitha 3 months ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
the dipole moment of hydrogen chloride with bond distance 127 pm is 1.03D.the % of ionic character of its bond is
We know the dipole formulae that is: Dipole Moment = charge x distance D = 1.602 x 10^-19 x 127 x 10^-12 x 1/(3.36 x 10^-30) = 6 pm ( approx.) ionic charcter % = > 1/6 * 100 => 16.66 %
Vikas TU 7 days ago
Calculate the wavelength of an electron moving with a velocity of 2.05×10^7ms-1
@ joana i am telling which formula u have to use here , and rest of the calculation part u have to do . this question can be solved by the besic formula of de broglie wavelength for an...
Umakant biswal one month ago
How to draw resonating structures of an irorganic molecule.
@ mahak let me to frst define resonance for you . its the property of compound having the charecteristics of two or more structural forms and they differ only in the distribution of...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
some rules need to be followed while drawing the resonating structures. if there is a multiple pi bond between the alternate atoms. lone pair – lone pair adjacent. charge – double/triple...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn