Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Q-If each hydrogen atom is excited by giving 8.4 eV of energy then the number of   spectral lines emitted is equal to:
       (A) None (B) Two (C) Three (D) Four

6 years ago

Answers : (3)

Isolated hydrogen atom can absorb any of the following quanta of energy, given by the equation

Energy absorbed =13.6 ( 1 - ( 1 / n2 ) e.v. ; where n can take whole number values  from 1 to infinity.

For any value of 'n' it cannot be 8.4 e.v.

So, hydrogen atom out rightly rejects that quantum. No electronic excitation takes place- no emission of radiation and it will not result in any spectral line. So, answer is 'none'

6 years ago

a) none

as min of 10.2 eV of energy is required to make the electron get excited.

6 years ago
2 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

Give me full notes of solids state with fully explanation
@ manish in solid state , u have to only use your imagination , that chapter only uses imagination and creating the concept , the imp topics are (for boards ) 1- tetrahedral and octahedral...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please visit thanks and please approve my answer:} post if you have any doubt
SAHIL 3 months ago
Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 2 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 2 months ago
why nature favours crystalline solids ? what is meant by anisotropic and isotropic character of solids ?
Because it forms the crystal lattice which can extends in all directions. Isotrophics are those which has all the properties same in all the respective directions Anistropics are those...
Vikas TU 25 days ago
WHAT IS MEANT BY SOLUTION.................................................?
Solution is the mixture of many or atleast two differnt propertiesess materials. The minor part is the solute and the major part is the solvent. Both get mixed and is called the solution.
2017 years ago
why hydrolysis test for anilido group must be postponed when an aromatic amino group is detected
I think it is because of bulky group that is the aromatic group attached the anilido group which might hinder the process of hydrolysis
Biswajit dash 28 days ago
W​hich is the most basic---CrO3, Mn2O7, NiO, V2O5???? ​
The more the oxidation state the more ot’s oxide would be basic. As Cr has +3 oxidation state. Mn has +7 state. Ni has +2 state. V has +5 state. Mn2O7 > V2O5 > CrO > NiO
Vikas TU 7 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn