Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 650 off

Criteria of precipitation of an electrolyte:

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Criteria of precipitation of an electrolyte

A very useful conclusion is derived from the solubility product concept. No precipitation of the electrolyte occurs if the ionic product is less than the solubility product, i.e., the solution has not reached the saturation stage.

Case I:    When Kip<Ksp, then solution is unsaturated in which more solute can be dissolved.

Case II:   When Kip = Ksp, then solution is saturated in which no more solute can be dissolved.

Case III: When Kip > Ksp, then solution is supersaturated and precipitation takes place.

When the ionic product exceeds the solubility product, the equilibrium shifts towards left hand side, i.e., increasing the concentration of undissociated molecules of the electrolyte. As the solvent can hold a fixed amount of electrolyte at a definite temperature, the excess of the electrolyte is thrown out from the solution as precipitate.

Thus, for the precipitation of an electrolyte, it is neces­sary that the ionic product must exceed its solubility product For example, if equal volumes of 0.02 M AgN03 solution and 0.02 M K2Cr04 solution are mixed, the precipita­tion of Ag2Cr04 occurs as the ionic product exceeds the solubility product of Ag2Cr04 which is 2 × 10–12.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Physical Chemistry

The specific heat of a metal is 0. 16cal/g . It`s approximate atomic weight is
atomic mass *specific heat =6.4(dulong petit law) so approx. atomuic mass =6.4/.16=40 (dulong petit is used to find atomic mass or specific heat )
shivani one month ago
Current 10 amp passed througj cuso4 for 32min 10 sec.if 896ml oxy liberated at stp calculate efficiency of cell
from faraday’s law, moles x valence factor = i*t/F moles = i*t/F*n = 10*1930/2*96485 = 0.100 approx. Moles given at STP = 0.896/22.4 = 0.04 efficiency = (0.1-0.04)/0.1 * 100 => 60%
Vikas TU 29 days ago
Nmm thanks buddy.a small mistake valency factor n=4.because 2h2o gives o2 + 4h^+ +4eso the moles=.05 nd the answer is 80%
Pulkit Khandelwal 29 days ago
what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.
@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction...
What is the rule of hydrogen bomb and what is the working method ?????Is it dangerous than atomic bomb??????
@ rahul hydrogen bomb works on the principle of nuclear fusion , liberating huge amount of heat , , while the essentiaL PART of the atomic bomb explosion is nuclear fission , hich is not as ...
Umakant biswal 23 days ago
Yes i is dangerous than atomic bombIt is depends on nuclear fusion and it can destroy all thing And u know that north korea hadmaden this
rahul kushwaha 25 days ago
Fission bombs worked, but they weren`t very efficient. It didn`t take scientists long to wonder if the opposite nuclear process -- fusion -- might work better. Fusion occurs when the nuclei...
rahul kushwaha 11 days ago
What are analgesics and food preservatives.........?
Analgesics are drugs that reduce or totally abolish pain without causing disturbances of nervous system. There are two types of analgesics i. Narcotic analgesics E.g.: Morphine ii....
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
Analgesis is defined as the drugs that reduce or abolish pain without causing impairment of conciousness,mental confusion,incoordinationor paralysis or some other disturbances of nervous...
somprasad 3 months ago
An analgesic or painkiller is any member of the group of drugs used to achieve analgesia , relief from pain. Analgesic drugs act in various ways on the peripheral and central nervous...
The set representing the correct order of first ionisation potential is- K Be>Mg>Ca B>C>N Ge>Si>C
In the period the ionisation potential increases and in the group it decreases. thus, Be Mg and Ca are in group therefore othe order is correct.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 650 off

More Questions On Physical Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn