What will you name this compound in IUPAC system ? The reason for this question is tht priority rule says that double bond is preffered over triple bond and they are also treated as functional groups. But there is also given that when number of multiple bonds is equal , then length of chain is considered

What will you name this compound in IUPAC system ? The reason for this question is tht priority rule says that double bond is preffered over triple bond and they are also treated as functional groups. But there is also given that when number of multiple bonds is equal , then length of chain is considered

Question Image
Grade:11

3 Answers

Yash Jain
55 Points
9 years ago
My answer for this question would be 3-(1-Propyne)Hept-1,6-diene
The reason for that is, the terminal double bonds are always given priority over the terminal triple bonds. Consider that. Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere.
Avinash Thakur
16 Points
9 years ago
Hello Yash Jain, actually that’s the confusion. According to rules I know , we select parent chain with most multiple and if it is same for 2 chains , then we choose one which is longest. Moreover, I got its name “5-ethenyloct-1-en-7-yne” on ACD labs software and “5-Vinyl-1-octen-7-yne” on Chemdoodle website
Avinash Thakur
16 Points
9 years ago
Hello Yash Jain, actually that’s the confusion. According to rules I know , we select parent chain with most multiple and if it is same for 2 chains , then we choose one which is longest. Moreover, I got its name “5-ethenyloct-1-en-7-yne” on ACD labs software and “5-Vinyl-1-octen-7-yne” on Chemdoodle website

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free