what isSTEREOCHEMICAL OBSERVATION IN NUCLEOPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTIONS OF ALKYL HALIDES?

what isSTEREOCHEMICAL OBSERVATION IN NUCLEOPHILIC SUBSTITUTION REACTIONS
OF ALKYL HALIDES?

Grade:12

16 Answers

Gaddam Chethan
317 Points
8 years ago
In 2 N S mechanism nucleophile attacks the compound from opposite side of leaving group hence
the product obtained will have inverted configuration. If the alkyl halide taken is optically active
i.e if the reactant is d-isomer then the product is . vice-versa. This inversion of
configuration is called Walden inversion
Gaddam Chethan
317 Points
8 years ago
In mechanism, the intermediate carbonium ion can be attacked by nuelcophile from either side. So
if the compound is optically active, then we get two compounds i.e compound with same
configuration and compound with inverted configuration. If equimolar mixture is obatined then it
is Racemic mixture.
N JYOTHEESWAR
342 Points
8 years ago

In mechanism, the intermediate carbonium ion can be attacked by nuelcophile from either side. So
if the compound is optically active, then we get two compounds i.e compound with same
configuration and compound with inverted configuration. If equimolar mixture is obatined then it
is Racemic mixture.
SAI SARDAR
1700 Points
8 years ago
In mechanism, the intermediate carbonium ion can be attacked by nuelcophile from either side. Soif the compound is optically active, then we get two compounds i.e compound with same
is Racemic mixture.
In S N 2 mechanism nucleophile attacks the compound from opposite side of leaving group hence
the product obtained will have inverted configuration. If the alkyl halide taken is optically active
i.e if the reactant is d-isomer then the product is.vice-versa.Thisinversionof configuration is called Walden inversion.

Prabhakar ch
577 Points
8 years ago
In mechanism, the intermediate carbonium ion can be attacked by nuelcophile from either side. So if the compound is optically active, then we get two compounds i.e compound with same configuration and compound with inverted configuration. If equimolar mixture is obatined then it is Racemic mixture.all the best for your future
mohan
216 Points
8 years ago
in mechanism,the intermediate carbonium ion can be attacked by nueclophile from either side.so if the compound is optically active,then we ge two compounds i.e compound with same congigurtion and compound with inverted configuration.
RAMCHANDRARAO
159 Points
8 years ago
in nucleophilic substitution reaction  stereo chemical observations are the  
1.the reaction is one steped or two steped reaction
2.reactivity order

NAGOORVALI
105 Points
8 years ago
n S N 2 mechanism nucleophile attacks the compound from opposite side of leaving group hencethe product obtained will have inverted configuration. If the alkyl halide taken is optically activei.e if the reactant is d-isomer then the product is.vice-versa.Thisinversionof configuration is called Walden inversion.
NARAYANA
242 Points
8 years ago
N SN2 MECHANISM NUCLEOPHILE ATTACKS BACK SIDE OF THE COMPOUND THE PRODUCT IS INVERTED CONFIGURATION.THIS CONFOGURATION IS CALLED WALDEN INVERSION. 
mohan
216 Points
8 years ago
dear kumar...N SN2 mechanism nucleophlic attacks back side of the compound the product is inverted configuration. this is alos
Gowri sankar
292 Points
8 years ago
MY DEAR KUMAR,N SN2 MECHANISM NUCLEOPHILE ATTACKS BACK SIDE OF THE COMPOUND THE PRODUCT IS INVERTED CONFIGURATION. THIS CONFEGURATION IS CALLED WALDEN INVERSION.
raj
383 Points
8 years ago
hellow kumar
Stereochemistry, a subdiscipline of chemistry, involves the study of the relative spatial arrangement of atoms that form the structure of molecules and their manipulation. An important branch of stereochemistry is the study of chiral molecules.
Y MANJUNADH
131 Points
8 years ago
dear kumar, stereo chemistry, a subdiscipline of chemistry , involves the study of the relative spatial arrangement of atoms that form the structure of molecules and their manipulation. then the stereo the alkyl halides are observed.
sudarshan
174 Points
8 years ago
a subdiscipline of chemistry, involves the study of the relative spatial arrangement of atoms that form the structure of molecules and their manipulation. An important branch of stereo chemistry is the study of chiral molecule.
sreekanth sree
125 Points
8 years ago
in organic and inorganic chemistry,nucleophilic substitution is a fundamental class of reactions in which an electron nucleophile selectively bonds with or attacks the negative or partially negative charge of an atom or a group atoms to replace.
sreekanth sree
125 Points
8 years ago
in organic and inorganic chemistry,nucleophilic substitution is a fundamental class of reactions in which an electron nucleophile selectively bonds with or attacks the negative or partially negative charge of an atom or a group atoms to replace.all the best.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free