What is the difference between sucrose, fructose and sugar?

What is the difference between sucrose, fructose and sugar?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Pankaj
askIITians Faculty 131 Points
9 years ago
The word “sugar”is used to represent a group of organic compounds known as carbohydrates i.e. sugar and carbohydrates are same thing.
Sugar or carbohydrates are the compounds formed by combination of H, C and O.
Sugars or carbohydratescan be divided into three major groupsdepending upon whether or not they undergo hydrolysis, and if they do, on the number of products formed.
Monosaccharides:The monosaccharides are polyhydroxy aldehydes or polyhydroxy ketones which cannot be decomposed by hydrolysis to give simpler carbohydrates.

Oligosaccharides: Theseare carbohydrates which yield a definite number (2-9) of monosaccharide molecules on hydrolysis.

Polysaccharides :The polysaccharides are carbohydrates of high molecular weight which yield many monosaccharide molecules on hydrolysis.

Fructose and Glucose are monosaccharides. They both have same molecular formula i.e. C6H12O6. But they differ in their structural formula.
Glucose in an aldosis i.e. it contains aldehyde group while fructose is a ketoses i.e. it contains ketonic group in its structure.
222-1989_Capture.PNG

Sugar which we use in our food as sweetening agent is Sucrose. Sucrose is a disaccharide which on hydrolysis gives two glucose units.
?

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free