What are the products formed when 2-methoxy propane reacts with conc HI

What are the products formed when 2-methoxy propane reacts with conc HI

Grade:12

5 Answers

Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
9 years ago
The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl groups,the site of cleavege is such that the halide is formed from the alkyl group which is smaller in size.Thus in case of 2-Methoxypropane the reaction will occur as follows-
CH3-O-CH(CH3)2 + HI -----------> CH3-I + (CH3)2CH-OH
Thus the products formed in this case are iodomethane and Propan-2-ol
Aarti Gupta
askIITians Faculty 300 Points
9 years ago
The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl groups,the site of cleavege is such that the halide is formed from the alkyl group which is smaller in size.Thus in case of 2-Methoxypropane the reaction will occur as follows-
CH3-O-CH(CH3)2 + HI -----------> CH3-I + (CH3)2CH-OH
Thus the products formed in this case are iodomethane and Propan-2-ol
Himaja
40 Points
9 years ago
In the presence of conc.HI I think (CH3)2CH-OH changes to (CH3)2CH-I.
Also since a secondary carbon is present SN 1 mechanism may occur then the products are different(CH3OH and (CH3)2CH-I). Am I right?

daksh
13 Points
9 years ago
but the major one is by SN1 reaction 

ankit singh
askIITians Faculty 614 Points
3 years ago
The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl groups,the site of cleavege is such that the halide is formed from the alkyl group which is smaller in size.Thus in case of 2-Methoxypropane the reaction will occur as follows- CH3-O-CH(CH3)2 + HI -----------> CH3-I + (CH3)2CH-OH Thus the products formed in this case are iodomethane and Propan-2-ol

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free