Hello Sir I know the trick to determine hybridisation of central atom. H=1/2 [V+M+A-C]. But i am struck in a problem where the no. inside brackets is odd i.e not divisible by 2. In that case am not able to predict the hybridisation ? Please help

Hello
Sir I know the trick to determine hybridisation of central atom. H=1/2 [V+M+A-C].
But i am struck in a problem where the no. inside brackets is odd i.e not divisible by 2. In that case am not able to predict the hybridisation ?
Please help

Grade:11

1 Answers

Neeti
571 Points
8 years ago
these things don’t always work therefore i would suggest you to draw the structure of the compound and count the number of sigma bonds and lone pairs, the sum of which is equal to the hybridisation of the central atom.
for example, in case of methane, carbon is attached to 4 hydrogen atoms tetrahedrally therefore has 4 sigma bonjds but zero lone pair. therefore hybridisation is = 4sigma bond + 0 lone pair= sp3
In case of ammonia, nitrogen is attached to 4 hydrogen atoms and also has one lone pair, therefore hybridisation is 3 sigma bond plus one lone pair = sp3 again. but i hope you got the difference and this should help., if you like my answer then please approve :)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free