can you please explain the +I and -i effect and how to determine the acidity of organic compounds

can you please explain the +I and -i effect and how to determine the acidity of organic compounds

Grade:11

2 Answers

shekharnandanwar
109 Points
6 years ago
The acidity can be determined by the three theories arrenhius, bronsted-lowry and lewis. Key factors that affect the stability of the conjugate base are electronegativty ,size and resonance.
Arun
25750 Points
6 years ago
Dear Aditya

Inductive effect in simple terms is the result of permanet dipole produced due to polarity of the sigma bond developed due to difference in electronegativity.This causes a permanent state of bond polarization, where the more electronegative atom has a slight negative charge (δ–) and the other atom has a slight positive charge (δ+)for ex:-The more electronegative atom pulls the electrons in the bond towards itself creating some bond polarity for example the O-H and C-Cl bonds in the following examplesCH3OH and CH3Clin the first example O acquires – charge and H acquires +1 chargein the second example c=+charge and Cl=-ve charge RegardsArun (askIITians forum expert)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free