reduces an alkene to an alcohol at the very end of the molecule

H2,, Pd/C, BaSO4
reduces an alkyne to a cis alkene

Na, NH3
reduces an alkyne to a trans alkene

-NH2
takes a proton off of an alkyne

Mg/THF
takes an alkane and forms a grignard reagent (Mg)

tBuli/THF
takes an alkane and forms a grignard reagent (Li)

H2NNH2, KOH
reduces carbonyls into alkanes (Basic Conditions)

Zn/Hg, HCl
reduces carbonyls into alkanes (Acidic conditions)

Na2Cr2O7, HCl, ∆
substitutes a carboxylic acid for a methly group on a aromatic compound

NaNO2, HCl
turns a primary amine into a diazonium group

AIBN
AIBN is a free radical initiator. Upon heating, it decomposes to give nitrogen gas and 2 free radicals

AlBr3
AlBr3 is a Lewis acid. It is useful for promoting electrophilic aromatic substitution, both in bromination of aromatics and also in the Friedel-Crafts reaction.

AlCl3
Aluminum chloride is a strong Lewis acid. It is used to promote reactions such as chlorination of aromatic compounds, as well as Friedel-Crafts reactions. It can also be used in the Meerwein-Ponndorf-Verley reduction.

BF3
Boron trifluoride is a strong Lewis acid and is commonly used for the formation of thioacetals from ketones (or aldehydes) with thiols. The product is a thioacetal.

BH3
Borane (BH3) is a reagent for the hydroboration of alkenes and alkynes. It is sometimes written as B2H6.

Br2
Bromine will react with alkenes, alkynes, aromatics, enols, and enolates, producing brominated compounds. In the presence of light, bromine will also replace hydrogen atoms in alkanes. Finally, bromine is used to promote the Hoffmann rearrangement of amides to amines.

CH2N2 (Diazomethane)
Diazomethane is used for two main purposes. First, it converts carboxylic acids into methyl esters, and second it is used in the Wolff rearrangement as a means of extending carboxylic acids by one carbon.

Cl2
Chlorine is a very good electrophile. It will react with double and triple bonds, as well as aromatics, enols, and enolates to give chlorinated products. In addition it will substitute Cl for halogens when treated with light (free radical conditions). Finally, it assists with the rearrangement of amines to amines (the Hoffmann rearrangement).

CN (cyanide)
Cyanide ion, commonly written as KCN or NaCN, is a good nucleophile for substitution reactions (such as the SN2). It is also used to form cyanohydrins. Cyanide ion will also catalyze the benzoin condensation.

CrO3
Chromium trioxide is an oxidizing agent for alcohols. Its strength depends on the additives present. When in the presence of pyridine, it will oxidize primary alcohols to aldehydes, as well as secondary alcohols to ketones. When acid is present, primary alcohols and aldehydes are oxidized to carboxylic acids.

CuBr
Copper (I) bromide is used in the Sandmeyer reaction, where an aryl diazoniuim salt is converted to an aryl bromide. Occasionally, it is also used for the preparation of organocuprates.

CuCl
Copper (I) chloride is used for the conversion of aryl diazonium salts to aryl chlorides (the Sandmeyer reaction). It is also occasionally used for the formation of organocuprates.

CuI
Copper (I) Iodide is used to form organocuprates (Gilman reagents) when two equivalents of organolithium reagents are added.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free