Can anyone help me how to differentiate b/w nucleophile & base during rxn with halo – compounds? I know that nucleophile do substitution & base do elimination. But, when such rxn is given, I get confuses that whether to use that as a nucleophile(substitution) or a base(elimination). Please help me.

Can  anyone help me how to differentiate b/w nucleophile & base during rxn with halo – compounds?
I know that nucleophile do substitution & base do elimination. But, when such rxn is given, I get confuses that whether to use that as a nucleophile(substitution) or a base(elimination).
Please help me.

Grade:12

5 Answers

viswanath
40 Points
9 years ago
In some cases  a nucleophile can act as a good base also
When a 10 alkyl halide (20 also in most cases) is involved in the reaction substitution happens.
Elimination reactions occur for 30 alkyl halides.
Shivam Chopra
45 Points
9 years ago
Please tell me how would I know that I would use it as nucleophile for substitution or base for elimination. Talking to the point, I want to know the major difference b/w nucleophile & base (except for that nucleophile attack on carbon & base on hydrogen ) .
viswanath
40 Points
9 years ago
All nucleophiles are lewis bases(both are e- rich).
When it attacks hydrogen we call it a base and when it attacks any other atom we call it a nucleophile.
Nucleophlic reactions involving carbon are mostly irreversible and attack of a base is normally reversible.
Steric hinderance against a base will normally decrease its nucleophlicity and nature of the medium(protic or aprotic)
also counts.
viswanath
40 Points
9 years ago
Well...I think I really didn’t understand your query...sorry! 
Shivam Chopra
45 Points
9 years ago
Thanks for trying. I just want a major difference b/w nucleophile & a base except for that nucleophile attack on carbon & base on hydrogen.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free