A QUESTION WITH TWO ANSWERS? I had posted this question few days ago on Stackexchange also...asking which one is the right name. 2-Chloro-3,3-dimethylbutane or 3-Chloro-2,2-dimethylbutane. I hace received two answers from 2 from you guys and Stackexchange see Pictures attached- Now my question is why is the first one correct. Even my teacher and many of the indian teachers say so but please read the answer given in stackexchange and the following. I also feel that the 2 nd one should be correct- Its only that according to NCERT it clearly says that if two substituants are present at the same position the alphabetical order follows but there are 3 substituants and locant rule should be used i thought to get numbersb 2,2&3 giving lowest sum of 7. So according to which IUPAC rule is this correct? The second one should be the only one which is correct then?

A QUESTION WITH TWO ANSWERS?

I had posted this question few days ago on Stackexchange also...asking which one is the right name. 2-Chloro-3,3-dimethylbutane or 3-Chloro-2,2-dimethylbutane. I hace received two answers from 2 from you guys and Stackexchange see Pictures attached-

Now my question is why is the first one correct.

Even my teacher and many of the indian teachers say so but please read the answer given in stackexchange and the following. I also feel that the 2nd one should be correct-

Its only that according to NCERT it clearly says that if two substituants are present at the same position the alphabetical order follows but there are 3 substituants and locant rule should be used i thought to get numbersb 2,2&3 giving lowest sum of 7. So according to which IUPAC rule is this correct? The second one should be the only one which is correct then?

Question Image
Grade:12

1 Answers

naina
43 Points
9 years ago
hahah..i read d same thing and raised d doubt ! really even i’m confused as to which name is right!

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free