Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Hi ...plz explain What is a simple test for the presence of amino acids?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Hi ,

Ninhydrin (1,2,3-Indantrione monohydrate, or triketohydrindene hydrate) is often used to detect alpha-amino acids and also free amino and carboxylic acid groups on proteins and peptides. When about 0.5 mL of a 0.1% solution of ninhydrin is boiled for one or two minutes with a few mL of dilute amino acid or protein solution, a blue color develops. A ninhydrin solution in ethanol or other volatile solvents is often used as a developer for amino acids in paper chromatography or thin layer chromatography. Ninhydrin spray is also used on crime scenes to visualize fingerprints, which contain trace amounts of amino acids.

Ninhydrin degrades amino acids into aldehydes, ammonia, and CO2 through a series of reactions; the net result is ninhydrin in a partially reduced form hydrindantin:

Ninhydrin then condenses with ammonia and hydrindantin to produce an intensely blue or purple pigment, sometimes called Ruhemann's purple:

The color varies slightly from acid to acid, probably because unreacted acids complex with the pigment. Proline and hydroxyproline give a yellow color. Since all that is required for color development is ammonia and partially reduced ninhydrin, the ammonium salts of weak and strong acids, as well as certain amines, can give a false positive result to the ninhydrin test.

The striking color change is due to the large change in electron confinement on formation of the anion. Note the delocalization of negative charge (how many resonance structures can you draw?). Changes in electron confinement are also associated with acid-base indicator color changes.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

In EAS reaction of toulene with NO2, will the mesomeric and inductive effect of the nitro group be dominating over the o/p directing effect of methyl group? If yes, then is o-nitro toulene...
This is nitration therfore the attack would be at ortho position of benzene that is adjacent to the -ch3 group. This is the rule u need to follow in EAS. and hence ortho would be more...
Vikas TU one month ago
Why Oxygen is more soluble in flouroCarbon as compare to water??
In flurocarbon fluorine being most electronegative atom attracts the oxygen atom towards it and tries to dissociate with it to increase the solubility and in H2O the Oxugen atom itself...
Vikas TU 17 days ago
Sir, when it comes to organic chemo we have many equations. I wanted to know if ncert organic chemistry can get me a rank in aiims/neet.
@ sakshi organic chemistry have many equations , but if you have done it clearly in class 11 th , then it will not be difficult for you for sure . so , for that at least do reaction...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Show the value of Rydberg constant vary with the mass of the nucleus.
Boher showed the Rydberg’s Constant as a function of the mass of the nucleus. It is given as: R = (alpha)^2*m*c/2h where alpha is the constant with m is the mass of nucleus and c is speed...
Vikas TU 7 days ago
Current of 10 ampere is passed through solution of CuSO4 for 32 min 10 sec.If 896 ml of Oxygen is liberated at STP then what will be efficiency of the cell.
Dear Candidate, I already answered this qstn. plz check this below: from faraday’s law, moles x valence factor = i*t/F moles = i*t/F*n = 10*1930/2*96485 = 0.100 approx. Moles given at STP = ...
Vikas TU 28 days ago
What is atom!??????And please understand me that what is the Bohr model?????
@ rahul atom is the smallest part of matter which can take part in a chemical reaction , features of bohr model 1- bohr actually redefined the rutherford model , and just add a term known...
Umakant biswal 10 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn