There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Antiseptics and Disinfectants

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Antiseptics and Disinfectants:- The chemical used for sterilization are classified under two headings

Antiseptic:- The term septic is derived from the Greek word septikos which means putrify or rot. In medicine, it indicates the state of being infected with pus forming or gainisms. Anti infective agents which are applied locally, i.e., applied directly to the skin wound, etc., are known as antiseptics.

An antiseptic is a substance which prevents the growth of micro organisms as long as it remains in contact with them. Antiseptics do not harm the living tissue and can be applied on cuts and wounds. Some common examples of antiseptics are: Dettol, savlon, acriflavin, gentian violet, mercurochrome, boric acid, chloramineT, tincture of iodine, iodoform, potassium permanganate, etc.

Disinfectants:- These substances kill the bacteria immediately. These are used for sterlisation of inanimate objects like instruments, utensils, clothes, floor, sanitary fittings, sputum and excreta. These are harmful to living tissues and cannot be used on the skin. The example are: phenol, methyl phenols, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine, bleaching powder, sulphure dioxide, etc.

The same substance can act as antiseptic or disinfectant depending upon the concentration of the substance in solution. In smaller consent rations, it is an antiseptic while is higher concentrations it becomes disinfectant. 0.2% solution of phenol acts as an antiseptic and its 1% solution is a disinfectant.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

how to learn and remember the mechanism of a reaction,reagent in organic chemistry
hii you can take the help of under prescribed books Chemistry Organic Chemistry by Morrison and Boyd (only for understanding concepts) Arihant Organic Chemistry Objective (Optional) Organic,...
Sourabh Singh 3 months ago
@ naira Actually there is only key that is practice . u can take help of ncert and ncert explins each and every mechanism in a quite well precisely , frst strong your base then move on to...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Functions of various reagents used in organic chemistry problems.
Sir, actually at present i am solving class 12th "haloalkanes, and haloarenes". so i need the list of reagents and their functions from this chapter. But as i would further solve the next...
Apar 21 days ago
@ apar there are a lot of reagents are avaliable as far as the whole organic chemistry are concerned . so, kindly tell me of which chapter u need the list of reagents . so, that i can...
Umakant biswal 24 days ago
what happen in gas convert into liquid when we compress
@ kuldeep i am not getting your query , kindly be specific , when we will compress the gas , then the particles that are there in the gas will come closer with each other and we can...
Umakant biswal one month ago
why water has specific heat capacity? Explain
Water's high heat capacity is a property caused by hydrogen bonding among water molecules. When heat is absorbed, hydrogen bonds are broken and water molecules can move freely. When the...
Gajula Sandeep 2 months ago
Can you produce hydrogen from its isotopes. If yes then how
@ vipul No , hydrogen cannot be produced from its isotopes . there is no such techniques which can produce hydrogen from its isotopes . it can only be produced by chemical reaction as a bi...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Discuss the geometry of molecules having two lone pair and two bond pairs.
molecules having two lone pair and two bond pairs would exhibit the sp3 hybridization with BENT /ANGULAR/V -SHAPE. for example water molecule that is H2O has be shape with oxygen atom...
Vikas TU 17 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn