There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

What is octane number?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of petrol and other fuels to autoignition in spark-ignition internal combustion engines.

The octane number of a fuel is measured in a test engine, and is defined by comparison with the mixture of iso-octane and heptane which would have the same anti-knocking capacity as the fuel under test: the percentage, by volume, of iso-octane in that mixture is the octane number of the fuel.

For example, petrol with the same knocking characteristics as a mixture of 90% iso-octane and 10% heptane would have an octane rating of 90.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

examples for stereo centres which are not chiral centres
Dear student Stereocentre- If there is no plane of symmetry in the molecule of an organic compound, we say it is having a stereocentre. Chiral Centre/Chiral Carbon Atom - If in a moelcule...
Bhavya one month ago
Does Paula Bruice Yurkanis Organic chemistry book contains extra stuff which is not necessary for JEE?
Yes, actually, this book is for analytical organic chemistry, which is also used for industrial chemical engg branch. I would like to suggest you to go for either Solomen or Morrison and...
Saurabh Kumar 3 months ago
@ siddhi Yes , they are actually higher than the level of JEE advanced exam . for jee u can refer to the 1- ncert 2- o.p tandon / morrision boyd . (any one ) 3- reaction mechanism in...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
What will be decreasing order of stability of carbocation CF3-CH2+CF3+(Cl)3-C-CH2+C(Cl)3+
The coumpounds CF3-CH2+CF3+(Cl)3-C-CH2+C(Cl)3+ are not distinguishable. please post it again and pls provide some gap be/w them.
Vikas TU one month ago
How to find the magnetic moment of a coordination compound
@ anjana u can find out the magnetic moment of a coordination compound by the foillwoing formula u = root over of n (n+2 ) BM where u stands for magnetic moment n is the no of unpair...
Umakant biswal 9 days ago
Explain why a sigma bond is stronger than a pi bond.
sigma bond is formed due to head on head overlapping of s orbitals. so ,they form stronger bonds as compared to pi bond which is formed due to parallel overlapping and gets easily broken...
ankit saurav 10 days ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn