There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Polymerisation and condensation

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The process which involved union of two or more molecules of the same compound, without the elimination of a small molecule such as H2O, NH3 or alcohol, etc., resulting in the formation of new compound whose molecular mass is simple multiple of the original compound is called polymerization. The new compound formed is termed polymer (Greek : poly + meros = many parts). The original simple compounds from which polymers are made are called monomer.

Characteristics of Polymerisation

i) it is generally a reversible reaction, i.e., the polymer can be converted easily into original compound.

ii) No portion of reacting molecules is eliminated in any form.

iii) No new C-C and C-N linkages are formed.

iv) Polymer and the monomer both have the same empirical mass and formula but the molecular mass of the polymer is simple multiple of the molecular mass of the monomer.

v)The monomer usually consists of a multiple bond (double or triple)in its molecule.

Alkenes, acetylenes and aldehydes undergo polymerization reactions. The polymer may be straight chain or cyclic.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

why hydrolysis test for anilido group must be postponed when an aromatic amino group is detected
I think it is because of bulky group that is the aromatic group attached the anilido group which might hinder the process of hydrolysis
Biswajit dash one month ago
examples on compounds having stereo centres but not chiral centres
@ anupam there are some isomer, which shows this type of behaviour as most of them will not show . u can take the examples of mesomers . mesomers are these type of compounds . HOPE IT...
Umakant biswal one month ago
is it possible to convert methanol to ethanol & vice versa with bulk quantity say 4 ton?Would the reaction be harmful because of large volume conversion?Will it leave any residue that will...
Hi, already someone has answered this question. pls check:
Vikas TU one month ago
Why agcl is colourless while agbr is pale yellow and agi is dark yellow
@ lokesh we can explain it with the help of two ways 1- the cations are same , so, the deciding factors are anions only , more the size of anion , more will be the polarisation , and more...
Umakant biswal 27 days ago
what is hybridisation of free radical cl03 ? .. and how can i find the hybridisation of free radicals like ch3, cf3, no2...
@ anubhav the hybridisation in chlorate is sp3 . clo ^ 3- have 3 bond pairs and 1 loan pair ifu can calculate acc to the VSEPR theory . it is of the type AB3E . it has trigonal pyramidal...
Umakant biswal one month ago
sir, what is the hybridisation of cl03 free radical and not clo3-.... ch3 has sp2 hybridisation bt cf3 has sp3 hybridisation.. jst like this i want to knw if there’s any kind of exception...
anubhav one month ago
2) What is the relation between ionization potential and effective nuclear charge experienced by an electron in nth orbit?
effective nuclear charge experienced by an electron in nth orbit is the force of attracn. the electron experiences due to protons . And ionization potential is the potetial required to...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
The increase in effective nuclear charge results in an increase of ionisation potential or ionisation energy.
Mudit 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn