There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Condensation Reactions

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Aldol condensation (Reactions involving hydrogen):- it is a chemical reaction in which two or more molecules of same or different carbonyl compounds containing hydrogen atom unite together in the presence of dilute base such as NaOH,Ba(OH)2 or K2CO3, etc,. to from compounds calle aldols. The term aldol is derived from the combination of words aldehyde and alcohol, the two functional groups present in the product. In such condensation, the hydrogen of one molecule in alfa-position with respect to the carbonyl group enters into combination with the oxygen of the carbonyl group of the other molecule forming a hydroxyl group.

Characteristics of Aldol Condensation

(i)This reaction may take place between (a) same or different aldehydes, (b)an aldehyde and a ketone and (c) same or different ketones. The carbonyl compound must contain an alfa-hydgogen atom which is involved in aldol condensation. However, formaldehyde though contains no alfa-hydrogen atom yet undergoes aldol condensation.

(ii) New carbon to carbon linkage is formed.

(iii) The condensation product, i.e., aldol, loses a molecule of water to form unsaturated aldehyde or keton.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

The p orbital of the charged carbon in the isopropyl cation contains how many electrons?
On writing the configuration of the charged carbon in that isopropyl cation U would get the configuration of Carbon and U would find that there are 4 electrons in the last p orbital of...
Vikas TU 27 days ago
Which Reference Book Is best for Organic Chemistry for 1 st year
Arihant organic chemistry or u can use study materials of akash or allen they provide excellent basics
Biswajit dash one month ago
@ anirudh if u have 2 year left for jee , then go with organic chemistry by morrision and boyd . but at first make sure , u did ncert properly , as they have a good explanation in mechanism ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
How is pressure inversly proprtion to volume in mole concept??
For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law , stating that the pressure and volume of a gas...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
According to Boyle's law or Pressure-Volume Law which state that the volume of a given amount amount gas held at constant temperature varies inversely with the applied pressure when the...
somprasad 3 months ago
what is meant by internal energy.................................?
@ sharda internal energy can be defined as the energy associated with the random , disordeerd motion of molecules . it is separated in scale from the macroscopic ordered energy associated...
The energy in molecules or atoms or in system is defined due to the random motion collision or anny movment between them. that energy is called as internal energy. it depends on many...
Vikas TU one month ago
In the chapter Solid State Class 12, how to classify any solid or elements on the basis of their bonds i.e. covalent bond, molecular bond etc ???
Depending upon the type of bonding present , Solids can be divided as : 1) Covalent Solids 2) Ionic solids 3) Molecular solids 4) Metallic solids
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago
Ok , thats the same thing i told , u just need to see the configuration of examples . i am giving that below potassium sulphate – ionic solid tin – mettalic solid benzene – molecular (non...
@ shreyas On the besic of bond present there are no such classification as tetraphosphorous decosides , and aluminium phosphates . Besic of the bond there are 4 types of classification 1-...
Molecular orbial is same as hybrid orbital? I mean both are same thing na
Can u plz elaborate it for me. Both the cases orbital are combinining so why r the diiffeten what is basic differebce
Mayank kumar one month ago
@ mayank No , they are not at all same , the hybrid orbitals are formed by hybridisation of various atomic orbital which are close in energy . but molecular orbital are formed due to just...
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn