Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

sir how i know that which alkene gives geometrical isomerism

give some tricks

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The p-bond in an alkene does not permit rotation, thus all of the atoms attached directly to the alkene lie in a plane. Groups attached to the alkene could be positioned on the same side of the alkene or on opposite sides of the alkene. Such compounds are different in chemical and physical properties as well as in their geometry, and are called geometrical isomers. In 2-butene the methyl groups can be located on the same side or on the opposite side of the double bond, giving rise to two geometrical isomers. The isomer with the methyl groups on the same side is called the cis isomer, while the isomer with the groups located on opposite sides is called the trans isomer. Trans isomers of compounds are usually more stable than cis isomers

Or I can simply say that :

Two carbon atoms joined by a single bond are capable of free rotation about themselves. When two carbon atoms are joined by a double bond, they cannot rotate freely and the relative positions of the various groups attached to these carbon atoms get fixed. This gives rise to geometric isomers. Such compounds, which possess the same structural formula but differ in the spatial arrangement of the groups about a double bond are called geometrical isomers. The phenomenon is known as the geometrical isomerism or (also known) as cis - trans isomerism.

• In cis-form, the like groups lie on the same side.

• In trans-form, the like groups lie on the opposite sides.

cis - trans isomerism of alkenes

cis-2-butene             trans-2-butene(boiling point 3.7°C) (boiling point +1°C)

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

why cynide are use during preparation of benzoin from bezaldehyde
Dear student Cyanide is used in benzoin condensation as :- 1.It is a very good nucleophile 2.It is also a very good leaving group.
Bhavya one month ago
suggest a good book for ORGANIC & INORGANIC Chemistry fot JEE(Mains & Advance) and also suggest a good book which has all the three sections of chemistry i.e, (Organic , Inorganic &...
@ aryan if u are considering both mains and adv , then they both are separate . beacuse jee mains testing how much facts u can remember , but jee adv are totally conceptual and they are...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
From my actual experience read NCERT books thoroughly. Every step every word every paraagraph is important. Books U can take then as: Organic chemitsry by Morrison and Boyd or by Shishir...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
How does resorcinol (1,3 dihydroxy benzene) undergo iodoform
resorcinol undergoes keto enol tautomerisation ,due to this the CH2 group between the OH groups is activateted,and the hydrogen become acidic,so it can give iodoform test easily.
2017 years ago
and yes aromaticity will be lost,but it will tautomerise only under either acidic,or in this case basic
4 days ago
Molecular orbial is same as hybrid orbital? I mean both are same thing na
Can u plz elaborate it for me. Both the cases orbital are combinining so why r the diiffeten what is basic differebce
Mayank kumar one month ago
@ mayank No , they are not at all same , the hybrid orbitals are formed by hybridisation of various atomic orbital which are close in energy . but molecular orbital are formed due to just...
Umakant biswal one month ago
hydrogen (a mole) and iodin(b mole) react to give 2X moles of the HI at equilibrium ,the total number of moles at equilibrim is
H2 + I2 -----------> 2HI t=0 a b 0 t=t a – x b – x 2x 2x = 2X x =X Now,we get tota moles as:=> a-X + b – X + 2X = >a + b
2017 years ago
Give me full notes of solids state with fully explanation
@ manish in solid state , u have to only use your imagination , that chapter only uses imagination and creating the concept , the imp topics are (for boards ) 1- tetrahedral and octahedral...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please visit thanks and please approve my answer:} post if you have any doubt
SAHIL 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts