Criteria of purity of organic compounds

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

After purification, the test of purity of an organic compound is the nest important step. A pure organic compound possesses characteristic physical properties such as refractive index, specific gravity, boiling point, crystalline structure and melting point. If a purified sample shows the same properties that the pure substance is known to possess, it may be considered as pure and no further purification is required. However for practical purpose in laboratory only melting point and boiling point are used as criteria for purity.

A pure organic solid has a definite and sharp (sudden, rapid and complete) melting point, while an impure substance has a lower and indefinite melting point.

The melting point of a solid may be defined as the temperature at which the solid and liquid states of the compound are in equilibrium with each other at an external pressure of l atmosphere.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
In CROSS ALDOL CONDENSATION, as in the picture , I think instead of “ 2-Methylpen-2-ene ” it should form “ hex-3-enal ” and instead of “ 2-methylbut-2-enal ” it should form “ pent-3-enal ”....

In aldol condensation reaction in aldehyde group electrons shift towards oxygen atom and carbon gets +ve charge. In another aldehyde group alpha-hydrogen is lost and alpha carbon gets -ve...

Himaja 2 months ago

the actual answer given in the attatchement is what you get from self aldol but that is not major product , the major product that you get is 2-methyl but-2-en-1-al.

daksh 2 months ago
What are hydrocarbons ?

The term ‘hydrocarbon’ is self –explanatory which refers to the compounds formed by combination of carbon and hydrogen only. Hydrocarbons have very important role in our...
  img
Pankaj 9 days ago

A hydrocarbon is an organic compound containing carbon and hydrogen only.

Jacob james 2 days ago
what is oh group

In organic chemistry,OH represents the functional group-hydroxyl group.There is a single covalent bond between hydrogen and oxygen atom. It is represented as R-OH.Here Oh is a functional...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

In organic chemistry,OH represents the functional group-hydroxyl group.There is a single covalent bond between hydrogen and oxygen atom. It is represented as R-OH.Here Oh is a functional...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
The inversion of cane sugar proceeds with constant half life of 500 minute at pH = 5 for any concentration of sugar. However, if pH = 6, the half life changes to 50 minute. Derive the rate...

This is explained as followsWe are given that the half life at pH = 5 and at any concentration of sugar is 50 minutes while the half life at pH = 6 and any concentration of sugar is 500...
  img
Ramreddy 4 months ago

I’m a bit confused... First, you said that “ This clearly means that the half life is independent of the concentration of sugar and depends on the concentration of hydrogen ion. ” . Then you...

Shibashis Mallik 4 months ago
in lathanides, why neodymium possess high paramagnatism than others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago

Respected sunil kumar sir, i cann’t clearely understand your answer , so pls give details broadly.

muthu sankar g 6 months ago
H2 + I2 = 2HI (an elementary reaction)...If the volume of the container containing the gaseous mixture is increased to 2 times ,then final rate of reaction !- become 4 times 2 become ¼ th of...

rate law = k[H2][I2] when we increase the volume by 2 times the concentration becomes half. The rate of reaction becomes one fourth of the initial value. so, option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 3 months ago

H2 + I2 = 2HI As it is elementary reaction, so order=molecularity=2 rate(r1)=k[H2][I2] Now the volume is increased two times, so their concentration would be ½ of original value. so...
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago
View all Questions »