Criteria of purity of organic compounds

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

After purification, the test of purity of an organic compound is the nest important step. A pure organic compound possesses characteristic physical properties such as refractive index, specific gravity, boiling point, crystalline structure and melting point. If a purified sample shows the same properties that the pure substance is known to possess, it may be considered as pure and no further purification is required. However for practical purpose in laboratory only melting point and boiling point are used as criteria for purity.

A pure organic solid has a definite and sharp (sudden, rapid and complete) melting point, while an impure substance has a lower and indefinite melting point.

The melting point of a solid may be defined as the temperature at which the solid and liquid states of the compound are in equilibrium with each other at an external pressure of l atmosphere.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
As i am currently studying in 12th i want a perfect book for organic that covers all the topic of jee.. i am confused within two books whether i go for R.K Gupta OR MAESTRO Solomon and...

Solomon and Fryhle is good one beside this O.P.Agarwal,Morrison and Boyd, can also be considered. Thanks & Regards Aarti Gupta askiitians Faculty
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

it will be better if you go with both the books...... keep r k gupta as a problem solving book and solomon and fryhle as a theory book. As far my knowledge there is no book which is both...

James Macmillan 2 months ago
WHAT IS LUCAS REAGENT?

Lucas'' reagent is a solution of anhydrous zinc chloride in concentrated hydrochloric acid . This solution is used to classify alcohols of low molecular weight. The reaction is a...

Maruthi Sirisilla 8 months ago

Lucas'' reagent is a solution of anhydrous zinc chloride in concentrated hydrochloric acid. This solution is used to classify alcohols of low molecular weight. The reaction is a substitution...

ANIL 8 months ago

Lucas reagent is a solution of anh. ZnCl and conc. HCl. It is used to differentiate primary, sec., and tertiary alcohols.

Surya Chaitanya 8 months ago
how to get in knowledge in organic chemistry? which book is better to get more information about organic chemistry?

Substitution Reactions of Benzene Derivatives When substituted benzene compounds undergo electrophilic substitution reactions of the kind discussed above, two related features must be...
  img
ruchi yadav 3 months ago

To get knowledge in organic chemistry,follow the basic rules,remember the types of compounds,all the functional groups,general formulae.Nomenclature rules and practice more and more...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

You may refer to the organic chemistry book written by Solomon- Fryhles. It is very good for building concepts. Thank You Ruchi Askiitians faculty
  img
ruchi yadav 3 months ago
The vapour density of a mixture containing NO2 and N2O4 is 38.3 at 300K. The number of moles of NO2 in 100g of the mixture is … ?

The vapor density of a gas is the density of that gas relative to that of hydrogen gas. Therefore, Vapor density = (density of NO2/N2O4 mixture)/ (density of H2 gas) Vapor density = (mass of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 days ago
KMNO4 IS ACID OR BASE

Potassium permagnate is a base. Thanks & Regard Aarti Gupta askiitians Faculty
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

amphoteric in nature

akarsh 3 months ago
Why mettalic character increases down the group

BECAUSE IT IS CAPABLE TO LOOSE ELECTRONS.

vamsi 9 months ago

rishabh 9 months ago
View all Questions »