Criteria of purity of organic compounds

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

After purification, the test of purity of an organic compound is the nest important step. A pure organic compound possesses characteristic physical properties such as refractive index, specific gravity, boiling point, crystalline structure and melting point. If a purified sample shows the same properties that the pure substance is known to possess, it may be considered as pure and no further purification is required. However for practical purpose in laboratory only melting point and boiling point are used as criteria for purity.

A pure organic solid has a definite and sharp (sudden, rapid and complete) melting point, while an impure substance has a lower and indefinite melting point.

The melting point of a solid may be defined as the temperature at which the solid and liquid states of the compound are in equilibrium with each other at an external pressure of l atmosphere.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

Step-I : Write the two halves ; one the reduction-half and the other oxidation-half. Cr(OH) 3. ............>CrO 4 2- ...........................(i) oxidation-half IO 3 - .............
  img
Naveen Kumar 25 days ago
how to study organic chemistry?what i should study for board exams ? please reply me

Hello, Organic chemistry is not that much difficult. Just try to learn it in a sequential way. What you have to do is first learn the nomenclature of organic compounds and then moves towards...
  img
Anjali Ahuja one month ago
Sir, Is there any positively charged nucleophile....

Nucleophile is an species which can either be negative charge or electrically neutral.But in both cases it should carry electron to share i.e acting as an Lewis base.For ex- 1. Neutral...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

Dear student as in the above answer it is explained that nucleophile is an species which is either neutral or negative charge so it means that nucleophiles are not the positive charge...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

ya but can you give me an example for positively charged nucleophile...

Bhubesh one month ago
​1. If the following gases are in monoatomic form then which one has greater entropy? i.H ii. O iii. N iv. Cl

At a fixed temperature the kinetic energy per mole can be given as: E=(f/2)*RT where f=degree of freedom and for translation movement, f=3, similarly some energy is associated with rotation...
  img
Naveen Kumar 11 days ago

But the answer is Cl..How?

Bhubesh 11 days ago
Calculate the wavelength of light emitted during the transition of an electron in b/w two levels of the Li 2+ ion, whose sum is 4 but difference is 2.

let the wavelength of light be represented by ^ here the sum fo two transition n1+n2 =4 and the difference is n1-n2 =2 solving both the equation we get 2n1 =6 ,n1=3 n2=1 therefore,1/^ =RZ^2...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

sum is 4 and diff is 2 let them be ‘x’ and ‘y’ then x+y=4 x-y=2 solving this we get x=3 y=1 then simply apply rydberg’s formula and calculate

ninad kumbhojkar one month ago
medical applications of s block elements??????????????????

Group 1 and Group 2 of periodic table comprises s- block elements.They play important role in biological systems. 1.Na +, K + ,Mg 2+ ,Ca 2+ ions are important componenets of intracellular as...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago
View all Questions »