Criteria of purity of organic compounds

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

After purification, the test of purity of an organic compound is the nest important step. A pure organic compound possesses characteristic physical properties such as refractive index, specific gravity, boiling point, crystalline structure and melting point. If a purified sample shows the same properties that the pure substance is known to possess, it may be considered as pure and no further purification is required. However for practical purpose in laboratory only melting point and boiling point are used as criteria for purity.

A pure organic solid has a definite and sharp (sudden, rapid and complete) melting point, while an impure substance has a lower and indefinite melting point.

The melting point of a solid may be defined as the temperature at which the solid and liquid states of the compound are in equilibrium with each other at an external pressure of l atmosphere.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
convert acetic acid to acetylene

Firsrt convert Acetic Acid to methane CH3COOH + NaOH (CaO) -------> CH4 + By products In this reaction NaOH first converts acetic acid to its salt and then CaO decarboxylates it to...
  img
Harishwar 2 months ago

better is to first convert acid to ethane by treating it with HI+red P and then chlorinating on both the carbons and then treating it with two moles of NaNH 2.

daksh 19 days ago
The value of e/m of an electron was measured by which scientist ?

J.J Thomson was the first scientist to measure the charge by mass...
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago
what is poppof’s rule ?

Popoff’s Rule - Oxidation of ketones is sometimes governed by this rule.According to this rule carbonyl group remains with smaller alkyl group. [O] Me- CO-Me ----------> MeCOOH + CO...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago
when 0.1 mole of ammonia is dissolved in sufficient water to make 1 litre of solutionThe solution is found to have a hydroxide ion conc of 1.34 * 10 power -3.The dissociation const of...

Dear student, please put the value of [OH-]=1.34*10 -3 M (Given in the question) Here I did a mistake in putting the value for hydroxide ion.Then the equation will be x+10 -7 M=1.34*10 -3....
  img

Molarity of NH3=0.1mole/1Litre=0.1M The raction can be given as : NH3+H2O...........=NH4 + ....+OH- 0.1M.........................0.........10 -7 M (due to water)........initially...
  img

sir i didnt get the ans.

Shriya Mehrotra one month ago
Why is a person with high blood pressure asked to reduce salt!

Humans ingest sodium by eating salt in food and occasionally in medications. Most people will simply excrete excess sodium in the urine, and we also lose sodium and water through...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
when 3 mole of A and 1 mole of B are mixed in a 1 lit vessel,the following reaction takes place A(g) + B(g)= 2C(g).reversible)..the euilibrium mixture contains 0.5 mole of C .what is the...

Hello student!! please follow the answers and try to understand it properly, if still having some doubts then don’t hesitate in posting on the forum. in the given question, volume=1L,...
  img

thanku so much sir. i got the ans.

Shriya Mehrotra one month ago
View all Questions »