Criteria of purity of organic compounds

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

After purification, the test of purity of an organic compound is the nest important step. A pure organic compound possesses characteristic physical properties such as refractive index, specific gravity, boiling point, crystalline structure and melting point. If a purified sample shows the same properties that the pure substance is known to possess, it may be considered as pure and no further purification is required. However for practical purpose in laboratory only melting point and boiling point are used as criteria for purity.

A pure organic solid has a definite and sharp (sudden, rapid and complete) melting point, while an impure substance has a lower and indefinite melting point.

The melting point of a solid may be defined as the temperature at which the solid and liquid states of the compound are in equilibrium with each other at an external pressure of l atmosphere.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
How to convert ethyne to ethane?

Hydrogentaion of ethyne by raney nickel (H2/Ni) will give ethane.

Shivam one month ago

`by heating

neelesh gautam one month ago
can i complete organic chemistry in 3 weeks if i already have gone through it once?

Yes you can complete the organic chemistry in 3 weeks,as you have already gone through it once.Organic chemistry demands more and more practice.If you study all the topics serial wise and...
  img
Aarti Gupta 24 days ago
the half life for a first order reaction is 25 minutes. calculate the rate constant and apply it ti find the time required for 85% complition of the reaction ?

we have the relation between the half lide and the rate constant as half life t1/2=.693/k k is the rate constant or k=.693/t1/2 =.693/25 min^-1 =2.772*10^-2 min^-1 time required for 25%...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP yesterday
stucture of SO4 covant bond

img
Suraj Prasad 5 days ago
Wat is diiferentiating electrons????

Accourding to me differentiating electron is usually the one that is easily removed when forming ions.

Ashwin one month ago
View all Questions »