There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

X

“Hurray! You have won the gift voucher. Redeem your points now."

X

Sources of Organic Compounds

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are two major sources of organic compounds.

1) Natural Sources

2) Synthetic

Natural Sources

a) Plants:- carbohydrates (Glucose, sucrose, starch, cellulose), acids, esters, vegetable oils, vitamins, gums, alkaloids, essential oils, perfumes, alcohol, acetone, etc., are some of the important organic compounds which are obtained from plants.

b) Animals: - some of the important organic compounds, which are derived from animals, are proteins, hormones, fats and urea.

c) Fungi and micro organism: - this is the source responsible for the production of hosts of useful substances like alcohols, acids, antibiotics (penicillin, streptomycin, and tetracycline) and vitamins by using the process of fermentation.

d) Coal: - Coal-tar obtained during destructive distillation of coal is the main source of aromatic hydrocarbons, phenols, heterocyclic compounds, dyes, drugs, perfumes, etc.

e) Natural gas and petroleum:- it is one of the major source of organic compounds. Gasolines, kerosene oil, lubricating oil, Vaseline, paraffin wax, etc., are few examples which are obtained directly from petroleum by fractional distillation. Hundreds of useful organic compounds are prepared from the wide range of hydrocarbons which serve starting materials for the synthetic reactions.

Synthetic Sources: - More than 90% of the known organic compounds are synthetic, i.e., prepared by artificial methods. Simple organic compounds derived from petroleum and coal has been converted into useful products by synthetic methods. Now-a-days, many of the natural products such as dyes, fibers, rubber, drugs, vitamins, etc., are prepared by synthetic reactions.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
compare the stability of the following compounds, (i) (a) ph-ch2(free radical) (b)(ch3)3c(free radical) (c)ch3-ch(free radical)-ch3 (d)ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) (ii)(a) ch2=ch(free radical)...

ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) is an allyl i mistook it for vinyl. allyls are more reactive than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyls are less reactive. ch2=ch(free radical) is a...

sufi digital 9 months ago

actually i meant allyls are more stable than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyl is less stable. allyls are stabalised by resonance but vinyls are not. by mistake i wrote...

sufi digital 9 months ago

and for the second question,answer is ph-ch2(free radical)> ch3-ch2(free radical)>ch2=ch(free radical)>ph(free radical)> ch(triple bond)c(free radical)

vineet chatterjee 9 months ago
Hi Friends, Do you all know that askiitians has launched self study courses at negligible price along with discount of 30% so that we students can get help in our studies. These lectures...

These self-study packages are actually free to the enrolled students!! The test papers and video solutions given are brilliant and super helpful :D

Kalyani Jayachandran Menon 12 days ago
What are the products formed when 2-methoxy propane reacts with conc HI

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 8 months ago

The carbon-oxygen bond is ethers can be cleaved by heating with HI or HBr to form an alcohol and an alkyl halide at 373K.In case of unsymmetrical ethers which contains two different alyl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 8 months ago

In the presence of conc.HI I think (CH3)2CH-OH changes to (CH3)2CH-I. Also since a secondary carbon is present SN 1 mechanism may occur then the products are different(CH3OH and...

Himaja 8 months ago
what is the most aboundant element element on earth

The most abundant element on the earth is oxygen.Although most of the earth’s crust is composed of 8 elements,but oxygen tops the list in terms of abundance.It constitutes about 46% of...
  img
Aarti Gupta 27 days ago

yes aarti ma'am is absolutely correct

vindhya 24 days ago

oxygen is the most abundant

Prajwal Kavad 20 days ago
how can calculate the ionic product of water (Kw),at given temperature?

At 25 degree celcius it will be 1.01×10 -14 M 2

Susmithasri 5 months ago

at 25 degree celsius it will always be 10 -14

Tony Abraham 5 months ago
Which gas has the highest partial pressure in atmosphere? CO 2 H 2 O O 2 N 2​ ​pplzz explain how.....

in my opinion answer should be N2 as partial pressure depends on the critical temperature of gas and nitrogen has more critical temp so it will not be easily dissolvable approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago

How we come to know that Nitrogen has more critical temp?

Aditya Sharma 2 months ago
View all Questions »