DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

Sources of Organic Compounds

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

There are two major sources of organic compounds.

1) Natural Sources

2) Synthetic

Natural Sources

a) Plants:- carbohydrates (Glucose, sucrose, starch, cellulose), acids, esters, vegetable oils, vitamins, gums, alkaloids, essential oils, perfumes, alcohol, acetone, etc., are some of the important organic compounds which are obtained from plants.

b) Animals: - some of the important organic compounds, which are derived from animals, are proteins, hormones, fats and urea.

c) Fungi and micro organism: - this is the source responsible for the production of hosts of useful substances like alcohols, acids, antibiotics (penicillin, streptomycin, and tetracycline) and vitamins by using the process of fermentation.

d) Coal: - Coal-tar obtained during destructive distillation of coal is the main source of aromatic hydrocarbons, phenols, heterocyclic compounds, dyes, drugs, perfumes, etc.

e) Natural gas and petroleum:- it is one of the major source of organic compounds. Gasolines, kerosene oil, lubricating oil, Vaseline, paraffin wax, etc., are few examples which are obtained directly from petroleum by fractional distillation. Hundreds of useful organic compounds are prepared from the wide range of hydrocarbons which serve starting materials for the synthetic reactions.

Synthetic Sources: - More than 90% of the known organic compounds are synthetic, i.e., prepared by artificial methods. Simple organic compounds derived from petroleum and coal has been converted into useful products by synthetic methods. Now-a-days, many of the natural products such as dyes, fibers, rubber, drugs, vitamins, etc., are prepared by synthetic reactions.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
compare the stability of the following compounds, (i) (a) ph-ch2(free radical) (b)(ch3)3c(free radical) (c)ch3-ch(free radical)-ch3 (d)ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) (ii)(a) ch2=ch(free radical)...

ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) is an allyl i mistook it for vinyl. allyls are more reactive than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyls are less reactive. ch2=ch(free radical) is a...

sufi digital 5 months ago

actually i meant allyls are more stable than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyl is less stable. allyls are stabalised by resonance but vinyls are not. by mistake i wrote...

sufi digital 5 months ago

and for the second question,answer is ph-ch2(free radical)> ch3-ch2(free radical)>ch2=ch(free radical)>ph(free radical)> ch(triple bond)c(free radical)

vineet chatterjee 5 months ago
Is “optically active” the same as “ chiral carbon” ?

Optically active is an term which is used to describe an organic compound that shows optical activity.In this phenomenon the compound can rotate the plane of polarised light either to right...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

no they are totally different things. Optically active substances are substances which change the plane of polarisation of ppl light either to left or right. the compound must have...

Abhishek Singh 3 months ago
Sir, Is there any positively charged nucleophile....

Nucleophile is an species which can either be negative charge or electrically neutral.But in both cases it should carry electron to share i.e acting as an Lewis base.For ex- 1. Neutral...
  img
Aarti Gupta 6 months ago

Dear student as in the above answer it is explained that nucleophile is an species which is either neutral or negative charge so it means that nucleophiles are not the positive charge...
  img
Aarti Gupta 6 months ago

ya but can you give me an example for positively charged nucleophile...

Bhubesh 6 months ago
CO2 is a gas,while silica is a solid.Explain....?

Hi student Gaseous state occurs when there are weaker bonds in between the molecules as compare to the solids where strong bonds are present . Same case is there in case of CO 2 and SiO 2....
  img
Anjali Ahuja 5 months ago

Co2 is a gas because of its symmetrical shape and it is without polarity whereas SiO2 has different types of bond .it can easily form network bonds and in other words the bonds are polar in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
Which book can be useful for studying IIT physical chemistry?

You can find here list of good books. Apart from physical chemistry you will find help for other books. http://www.askiitians.com/important-books-iit-jee.aspx
  img
Harsh Patodia 28 days ago

Dr.P.bhadur’s numerical chemistry for good numericals with solutions.

Vignesh R 27 days ago

HC VERMA

Ch. Sai tejasri 28 days ago
stationary orbits give energy to electrons then who will give energy to stationery orbits

Dear student, The stationary orbits donot give energy to electrons. It is the presence of electrons in certain energy shells/orbits makes the electrons in those orbits possess that energy....
  img
Sumit Majumdar 9 months ago

no in stationary orbit the enegy of electron is quantised.because the angular momentum(mvr) is directly proportional to n(orbit) En= -13.6z^2/n^2 thanks and regards sunil kr askIITian...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago
View all Questions »