There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Definition of Organic Chemistry

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Old Concept: - The world Organic signifies life. Therefore, all substances which were obtained directly or indirectly from living organisms, plants and animals, were called organic compounds and the branch of chemistry which deals with these compounds was called organic chemistry. Although, a large number of organic compounds such as sugar, starch, alcohol, oils, indigo, resins, etc, had been known from earliest times, very little information was known regarding their chemistry until the beginning of eighteenth century.

In 1675, Lemery published his famous Cours de Chymie, in which he classified the natural substances into three classes according to their respective origin

i) Mineral Substances obtained from the mineral kingdom.

ii) Vegetable substances obtained from the vegetable kingdom.

iii) Animal substances obtained from the animal kingdom.

This classification was accepted quickly but it was Lavoisier (father of chemistry) who first showed, in 1785, that all compounds obtained from vegetables and animals sources always contained carbon and hydrogen, and frequently nitrogen and phosphorus. It was also realized that some organic compounds occurred both in plants and animals. This led to the re-classification of natural substances into two categories.

i) All those which could be obtained from vegetables or animals, i.e., the substance which were produced by living organisms. These substances were classified as organic compounds.

ii) All those which were not obtained from the living organisms. These substances were classified as inorganic compounds.

Quite a large number of organic compounds have been discovered and isolated from natural sources by the first quarter of nineteenth century but till then none of the organic compounds could be prepared in laboratory. This led to believe that organic compounds followed laws of formation different from inorganic compounds. Brezelius assumed that some vital forces was necessary to produce organic compounds and synthesis of these compounds in the laboratory was impossible ude to the absence of this vital force which only existed in living organisms.

The vital force theory suffered the first death blow, in 1828, when Wohler synthesized first organic compound, urea, in the laboratory by heating ammonium cyanate (an inorganic compound)

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

How does chemical reactivity vary in group and period
@ himesh as we go left to the right of the periodic table , nuclear charge increase and the electrons are added to the same shell . therefore ionisation energy increase with increase in...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Does Paula Bruice Yurkanis Organic chemistry book contains extra stuff which is not necessary for JEE?
Yes, actually, this book is for analytical organic chemistry, which is also used for industrial chemical engg branch. I would like to suggest you to go for either Solomen or Morrison and...
Saurabh Kumar 3 months ago
@ siddhi Yes , they are actually higher than the level of JEE advanced exam . for jee u can refer to the 1- ncert 2- o.p tandon / morrision boyd . (any one ) 3- reaction mechanism in...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
why carboxylic acid remove carbon di oxide from sodium bicarbonate but phenol does not?
phenol is acidic in nature , but not that muchj acidic to react with nahco3 . phenol are weakly acidic in nature . they turn blue litmus red and react with alkali metals and alkalies to...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Phenol is a very weak acid as compared to carboxylic acid and it cannot react with a weak base like sodium bicarbonate
Amay chugh one month ago
Give me full notes of solids state with fully explanation
@ manish in solid state , u have to only use your imagination , that chapter only uses imagination and creating the concept , the imp topics are (for boards ) 1- tetrahedral and octahedral...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
please visit thanks and please approve my answer:} post if you have any doubt
SAHIL 3 months ago
What is the rule of hydrogen bomb and what is the working method ?????Is it dangerous than atomic bomb??????
@ rahul hydrogen bomb works on the principle of nuclear fusion , liberating huge amount of heat , , while the essentiaL PART of the atomic bomb explosion is nuclear fission , hich is not as ...
Umakant biswal 24 days ago
Yes i is dangerous than atomic bombIt is depends on nuclear fusion and it can destroy all thing And u know that north korea hadmaden this
rahul kushwaha 25 days ago
Fission bombs worked, but they weren`t very efficient. It didn`t take scientists long to wonder if the opposite nuclear process -- fusion -- might work better. Fusion occurs when the nuclei...
rahul kushwaha 12 days ago
Molecular orbial is same as hybrid orbital? I mean both are same thing na
Can u plz elaborate it for me. Both the cases orbital are combinining so why r the diiffeten what is basic differebce
Mayank kumar one month ago
@ mayank No , they are not at all same , the hybrid orbitals are formed by hybridisation of various atomic orbital which are close in energy . but molecular orbital are formed due to just...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn