Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

can you please explain me the steric effect in detail with example?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Steric Effect:

The effect on a chemical or physical property (structure, rate, or equilibrium constant) upon introduction of substituents having different steric requirements. The effect is basically associated with the fact that atoms and larger parts of a molecule occupy a certain region of space. When atoms or groups are brought together, hindrance will be induced, resulting in changes in shape, energy, reactivity, etc. Steric effects arise from contributions ascribed to strain as the sum of
nonbonded repulsions, bond angle strain, and bond stretches or compressions.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our disucssion forum as you can. If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in  your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best and wish u a bright future!!!

Askiitians Expert
Amit - IT BHU

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

-R effect of -COOR is greater than -COOH. What is the best reason behind it.
Simple answer: in Ester that is -COOR there is R group that is the combination carbon and hydrogen atoms. And -R group always shows +R effect thus decreases -R effect.
Vikas TU 28 days ago
R is a alkyl group and so it is a electron pushing group and so t shows -R effect much better than H COO
2 days ago
since “R”(Alkyl) group is +R group so decrease -R effect while H doesnot hence -R effect of -COOR is greater than -COOH.
2 days ago
can some one help me in telling why para dihydroxy benzene dipole moment is not equal to zero? While para xylene is zero.
@ dattatray the dipole moment of para dimethoxybenzene is not 0 beacuse it exist in two forms , cis and trans forms . out of which trans have 0 dipole moment beacuse it is a symmetrical...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Functions of various reagents used in organic chemistry problems.
Sir, actually at present i am solving class 12th "haloalkanes, and haloarenes". so i need the list of reagents and their functions from this chapter. But as i would further solve the next...
Apar 20 days ago
@ apar there are a lot of reagents are avaliable as far as the whole organic chemistry are concerned . so, kindly tell me of which chapter u need the list of reagents . so, that i can...
Umakant biswal 23 days ago
How to draw resonating structures of an irorganic molecule.
@ mahak let me to frst define resonance for you . its the property of compound having the charecteristics of two or more structural forms and they differ only in the distribution of...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
some rules need to be followed while drawing the resonating structures. if there is a multiple pi bond between the alternate atoms. lone pair – lone pair adjacent. charge – double/triple...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What is atom!??????And please understand me that what is the Bohr model?????
@ rahul atom is the smallest part of matter which can take part in a chemical reaction , features of bohr model 1- bohr actually redefined the rutherford model , and just add a term known...
Umakant biswal 12 days ago
what is meant by internal energy.................................?
@ sharda internal energy can be defined as the energy associated with the random , disordeerd motion of molecules . it is separated in scale from the macroscopic ordered energy associated...
Umakant biswal one month ago
The energy in molecules or atoms or in system is defined due to the random motion collision or anny movment between them. that energy is called as internal energy. it depends on many...
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn