ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   how to determine the stability of carbocation and what is the concept of bridge carbon

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

We know that methyl group is electron releasing i.e. has +I inductive effect. The alkyl group attached to positively charged carbon atom tends to release electrons towards carbon. This decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom but the carbon itself is somewhat positive. As a result, the positive charge on the carbon atom gets dispersed, giving it stability. Therefore, more the number of alkyl groups, the greater will be the dispersal of charge and therefore, more stable will be the carbocation.

Thus, tertiary carbocation in which there are three alkyl groups attached to positive carbon is more stable than a secondary carbocation with two alkyl groups. Similarly, a secondary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation, which in turn is more stable than methyl carbocation:

stability of carbocations

Thus, the order of stability is: CH3+ < 1o < 2o < 3o

Other carbocations are benzyl carbocation, which is primary in nature but is highly stable because of resonance stabilization.

resonance stabilization of carbocations

Triphenyl carbocation, Ph3C+ is the most stable because of resonance stabilization among three phenyl groups.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Glycerol is oxidized by bismuth nitrate to produce : oxalic acid Mesooxalic acid Glyceric acid Glyoxalic acid

Glycerol is an trihydric alcohol whose IUPAC name is propane-1, 2, 3-triol.It gives different oxidation products depending on the nature of oxidizing agent.With bismuth nitrate,it gives...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago

Thanks for the answer I'm searching for the proper soln of it....

Aditya Sharma one month ago
Which one will be prefered as parent if cyclic compound and open chain compound has equal unsaturation and equal number of carbon?

open chain compound

nilima one month ago

cyclic compound

nilima one month ago
which is the correct iupac name of the following compound: a) propane-1,2,3-tricarbonitrile b)3-cyano-pentan-1,5-dinitrile plzzz answer fast......regards

it is a. when same functional groups are in compound and u can not number all the functional groups then they are substituents

Shubham Singh one month ago

a is correct

Phani 5 days ago

b

erra akhil one month ago
which book is better 1.JD Lee Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE OR 2.Concise Inorganic Chemistry

Inorganic Chemistry by JD Lee highly useful for JEE aspirants. The best covered topics in JD Lee Inorganic Chemistry are Preparation and Properties of Compounds, Ores and Minerals, and...
  img
Komal one month ago

1.JD Lee Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE i am also reading it

grenade one month ago

a

saihemanth one month ago
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad 8 months ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
Molarity of 30 volume H2O2 is. 1- same as its normality 2-half as its normality 3- doble as its normality 4-onefourth as its normality

As we know that Normality = Molarity X n-factor N= M X n-factor For H2O2, n-factor = 2 (No of replaceable hydrogens) N= M X 2 So option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 8 months ago

thanku sir

Shriya Mehrotra 8 months ago
View all Questions »