ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   how to determine the stability of carbocation and what is the concept of bridge carbon

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

We know that methyl group is electron releasing i.e. has +I inductive effect. The alkyl group attached to positively charged carbon atom tends to release electrons towards carbon. This decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom but the carbon itself is somewhat positive. As a result, the positive charge on the carbon atom gets dispersed, giving it stability. Therefore, more the number of alkyl groups, the greater will be the dispersal of charge and therefore, more stable will be the carbocation.

Thus, tertiary carbocation in which there are three alkyl groups attached to positive carbon is more stable than a secondary carbocation with two alkyl groups. Similarly, a secondary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation, which in turn is more stable than methyl carbocation:

stability of carbocations

Thus, the order of stability is: CH3+ < 1o < 2o < 3o

Other carbocations are benzyl carbocation, which is primary in nature but is highly stable because of resonance stabilization.

resonance stabilization of carbocations

Triphenyl carbocation, Ph3C+ is the most stable because of resonance stabilization among three phenyl groups.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
is solutions avalible for this book

Dear student, please clearly mention the book name and author name. Hope you will post the complete question....
  img
Ramreddy 5 months ago
Select the correct statements regarding E2 reactions it is anti-periplanar rearrangements take place it is a single step reaction

Yes u r right, actually it was my fault, I mean first and last and so I should have to write 1 and 3. Thanks for your comment. ......................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago

1 and 2. For details please read the text book. ......................... ....................................................... ..........................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago

The correct statements are it is anti- periplanar it is single step reaction

Himaja 3 months ago
best books

PLease mention for whcih purpose you want best books (Class or Exam or Subject or Topic)
  img
Harsh Patodia yesterday

please specify

dhanunjayavarma 13 hours ago
ppts on concentration cells

Hi, Do you want us to provide the ppts on concentration cells ? You can get various ppts on the same from the google search too. I would advise you to please read from the book too after...
  img
Shobhit Varshney 3 months ago

i want ppts on concentration cell and types of concencentrationcell with images

Krishna Moorthy 3 months ago

i want ppts on concentration cell and types of concencentrationcell with images

Krishna Moorthy 3 months ago
what is ionic conductance?

Ionic conduction (denoted by λ-lambda) is the movement of an ion from one site to another through defects in the crystal lattice of a solid or aqueous solution. Ionic conduction is...
  img
Harishwar 12 days ago

i am asking about ionic conductance not conduction, like molar conductance and equivalent conductance

Moyooree Biswas 12 days ago
What is the hybridisation of Phosphorus in PH3?

for phospine it is sp3 because the hybrid was just resulted from sigma bond of the 3s orbital of the H and p orbital of the P,however, only 3 bonds will form because the remaining two...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago

sir,will the drago rule not be applied here?

vineet chatterjee 6 months ago
View all Questions »