how to determine the stability of carbocation and what is the concept of bridge carbon

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

We know that methyl group is electron releasing i.e. has +I inductive effect. The alkyl group attached to positively charged carbon atom tends to release electrons towards carbon. This decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom but the carbon itself is somewhat positive. As a result, the positive charge on the carbon atom gets dispersed, giving it stability. Therefore, more the number of alkyl groups, the greater will be the dispersal of charge and therefore, more stable will be the carbocation.

Thus, tertiary carbocation in which there are three alkyl groups attached to positive carbon is more stable than a secondary carbocation with two alkyl groups. Similarly, a secondary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation, which in turn is more stable than methyl carbocation:

stability of carbocations

Thus, the order of stability is: CH3+ < 1o < 2o < 3o

Other carbocations are benzyl carbocation, which is primary in nature but is highly stable because of resonance stabilization.

resonance stabilization of carbocations

Triphenyl carbocation, Ph3C+ is the most stable because of resonance stabilization among three phenyl groups.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
100g of electrons calculate the moles

1 mole of electrons consists of 6.023*10^23 electrons Mass of 1 mole of electrons is 6.023*10^23 * 9.1*10^-28 grams so 6.023*10^23 * 9.1*10^-28 grams= 1 mole 100 grams = ??...
  img
Harishwar 8 days ago
What is the difference between sucrose, fructose and sugar?

Carbohydrates are classified into three main groups- 1 .Monosaccharides – These are known as simple sugars, as such carbohydrates cannot be broken into smaller units upon...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago
please tell me a good book to refer for organic chemistry for iit jee 2014. I checked out solomons and fryhle ms chouhan edition, it seemed okay but i beleive its lacking the necessary...

Hi, Below is a list of reference books for all the subject. Reference Books for Engineering Entrance Exam Chemistry NCERT Chemistry text books of class XI and class XII (usually sufficient)...
  img
Yash Baheti 12 days ago
in lathanides, why neodymium possess high paramagnatism than others?

ThetetragonalNd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxialmagnetocrystalline anisotropy(HA~7teslas- magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).This gives...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

Respected sunil kumar sir, i cann’t clearely understand your answer , so pls give details broadly.

muthu sankar g one month ago
suppose you have a sample of sulphur containing 1x10 23 sulphur atoms.if a cyclic molecule of sulphur contains S 8 structure then how many molecules of S 8 do you have?

The sample of sulphur contains sulphur in the cyclic molecule form. 1 molecule contains 8 atoms of sulphur so 10 23 atoms will make (10 23 /8) molecules.

DHRUVESH KHANDELWAL one month ago
what is pH value of sperm ? is sperm acidic or basic or …........?

sperm ph=10.2 alkaline medium strngth thanks and regards sunil kr askIITian faculty
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
View all Questions »