how to determine the stability of carbocation and what is the concept of bridge carbon

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

We know that methyl group is electron releasing i.e. has +I inductive effect. The alkyl group attached to positively charged carbon atom tends to release electrons towards carbon. This decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom but the carbon itself is somewhat positive. As a result, the positive charge on the carbon atom gets dispersed, giving it stability. Therefore, more the number of alkyl groups, the greater will be the dispersal of charge and therefore, more stable will be the carbocation.

Thus, tertiary carbocation in which there are three alkyl groups attached to positive carbon is more stable than a secondary carbocation with two alkyl groups. Similarly, a secondary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation, which in turn is more stable than methyl carbocation:

stability of carbocations

Thus, the order of stability is: CH3+ < 1o < 2o < 3o

Other carbocations are benzyl carbocation, which is primary in nature but is highly stable because of resonance stabilization.

resonance stabilization of carbocations

Triphenyl carbocation, Ph3C+ is the most stable because of resonance stabilization among three phenyl groups.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
In CH 2 =CH 2 CH 2 OH priority isgiven to whom?? Double bond or hydroxyl group???

Priority is given to HydroxyL Group as it lies above alkene in priority list You can refer to image given below for list of priority.
  img
Harsh Patodia 28 days ago
I have a class test tommorow on biomolecules.I have only 2-3 hours to study is it enough and what are the topics I should concentrate on. Please reply urgently!!

Study about starch, cellulose linkages, glucose structure, its properties, different tests for glucose classification of amino acids, structure of amino acids, fructose structure , DNA and...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
I need explanation at molicular level for the graph.

In case of He and H2 the graph is above the Z=1 line implying that they always show positive deviation. If Z>1 then volume of gas particles is dominant(At high pressure) but if Z<1...
  img
Ramreddy 7 days ago
In the reaction 2Clf3= Cl2 + 3f2, how is dissociation of Clf3 favoured by increase in volume of container?

dissociation is favored by an increase in the volume of the container because here 2 mole of CLF3 dissociates into 1 mole of chlorine and 3 mole of F2 no of mole on the right hand side is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
Today, I studied slater's rules for calculating the effective nuclear charge. But, one particular line " The shielding power of the d and f orbital is lesser in comparison to the p and s...

Yes, Slater's rules does not take into account the orbitals for calculation of effective nuclear charge it takes the penultimate and pre penultimate shells for Zeff calculation....
  img
Ramreddy yesterday
View all Questions »