ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   how to determine the stability of carbocation and what is the concept of bridge carbon

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

We know that methyl group is electron releasing i.e. has +I inductive effect. The alkyl group attached to positively charged carbon atom tends to release electrons towards carbon. This decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom but the carbon itself is somewhat positive. As a result, the positive charge on the carbon atom gets dispersed, giving it stability. Therefore, more the number of alkyl groups, the greater will be the dispersal of charge and therefore, more stable will be the carbocation.

Thus, tertiary carbocation in which there are three alkyl groups attached to positive carbon is more stable than a secondary carbocation with two alkyl groups. Similarly, a secondary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation, which in turn is more stable than methyl carbocation:

stability of carbocations

Thus, the order of stability is: CH3+ < 1o < 2o < 3o

Other carbocations are benzyl carbocation, which is primary in nature but is highly stable because of resonance stabilization.

resonance stabilization of carbocations

Triphenyl carbocation, Ph3C+ is the most stable because of resonance stabilization among three phenyl groups.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
I have just given my mains exam and i want myselgf to get toggled in preparation of advance. I do have a bundle of good books and for last two yers i m practising with DISHA’s chemistry...

First go for 15 year question papers. 2. Have a look solved Irodov Physics. very quick view 3. For Organic, quick view on O. P. Tandon..
  img
Saurabh Kumar one month ago

for organic best is HIMANSHU PANDEY AND MS CHAUHAN(ADVANCED) APPROVE IF USEFUL

ng29 one month ago
Cannizaro reaction is not given by Chloral HCHO 2-methylpropanal p-methoxybenzaldehyde The answers are 1,2 I have doubt in 3,4. Generally aldehydes without alphe hydrogen give cannizaro...

Dear student canninzaro reaction is given by only those aldehydes in which alpha-hydrogen is absent.So formaldehyde(HCHO),chloral(CCl3CHO) and p-methoxy benzaldehyde all will give this...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago

Canninzaro reaction is the characteristic of those aldehydes which do not contain alpha-hydrogen.Thus formaldehyde(HCHO),chloral(CC3CHO) and p-methoxybenzaldehyde will show this reaction as...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago

But CCl 3 CHO does not undergo cannizaro reaction. CCl3CHO +OH - = CHCl 3 . But not cannizaro products. The answers are chloral and p-methoxybenzaldehyde. How can 2-methyl propanal ( alpha-H...

Himaja 5 months ago
In the following hypothetical reaction A + 3B   2C + D, initial moles of A is twice that of B. If at equilibrium moles of B and C are equal, % of B reacted is (A) 10% (B) 20% (C) 40%...

A + 3B ----- 2C + D initially 1 1 0 0 let x moles of B be consumed at equillibrium equilli 1-x 1-3x 2x x given 1-3x=2x x=1/5 it means 3/5 moles are consumed which means 60 % Herre B is the...

Havishma Haranath 6 months ago

A + 3B ----- 2C + D initially 1 1 0 0 let x moles of B be consumed at equillibrium equilli 1-x 1-3x 2x x given 1-3x=2x x=1/5 it means 3/5 moles are consumed which means 60 % Herre B is the...

how many coordinate isomers are possible of compound [Cu9NH3)4][PtCl4]?

Coordinate isomers differ in the distribution of ligands between metal ions in complex compound [PtNH3)4][CuCl4] is the possible coordinate isomer
  img
Harishwar 3 months ago

Hi Student,I Information is Missing in the question.
  img
Harishwar 3 months ago
Copper exists in face centered cubic lattice with unit cell edge of 361pm . What is the size of the largest atom , which would fit into ocathedral voids without disturbimg the lattice

Copper exists in face centered cubic lattice with unit cell edge of 361pm . What is the size of the largest atom , which would fit into ocathedral voids without disturbimg the lattice in the...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago

As the copper crystallises in FCC.therefore edgelength=a=361pm The radius of copper atom is 4RCu=sqrt2 a=Rcu=sqrt2 a/4=108.3 pm here the largest size of atom that can be fitted into...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago
The initial prssure of COCl2 is 1000 torr.The total pressure of the system becomes 1500 torr.when the equilb COCl2(g)=CO(g) + Cl2(g).(reversible) is attained at constant temp.The value of Kp...

The given reaction is : CoCl2(g).......................................=.......CO(g).....+.....Cl2(g) 1000...
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

COCl2 -------> CO + Cl2 1000 torr (initial) 1000(1-x) 1000x 1000x Total pressure= 1000(1+x) = 1500 x= 0.5 or (50% dissociation) Kp= (pCl2)(pCO)/(pCOCl2) = 500 X 500 /500 you will get the...
  img
Ramreddy 6 months ago
View all Questions »