Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Briefly explain Photohalogenation of Alkanes:

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Photohalogenation of Alkanes:

By direct halogination of paraffins in the presence of light or catalyst. The order of ease of substitution is tertiary hydrogen atom > secondary hydrogen atom > primary hydrogen atom. During chlorination every possible monochloride is obtained and chlorination beyond mono substitution may be supressed by controlling the ratio of chlorine to paraffin.

CH4 + Cl2 ⇒ CH3Cl + HCl

Methyl chloride

Direct chlorination occurs by free radical mechanism as explained in general organic chemistry.

Bromination takes place with greater difficulty than chlorination and there is fewer tendencies for polysubstitution. Bromination is more selective, i.e bromine has a much greater tendency than chlorine to replace tertiary hydrogen in preference to secondary or primary.

Direct chlorination of alkanes may be effected by means of sulphonyl chloride in presence of light and a trace of an organic peroxide.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

@ DEEPAK THERE ARE many methods which are used in organic chemistry for the purification of the compound , kindly let me know which one u want to know in detail . there are methods like...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Nylon 6 is which polymer condensation or addition ? Plz provide reference
Hi ! Praful , NYLON-6 is a condensation type of polymer.Nylon-6 is other wise known as polycaprolactum.These fibre are wrinkleproof, highly resistance to abbrasion such as chemicals like...
nath 2 months ago
With very tough, high strength and tensile nylon – 6 is not a condensation polymer but a semicrystalline polyamide. It somewhat resembles the characterstics of Nylon – 6,6.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i didn’t understand anything in organic chemistry and there ractions
@ shubham kindly tell me which reaction u are not able to understand ?? so, that i can explain you the whole process here , and while reading the mechanism and reaction intermediate ,...
2017 years ago
Does the bond angle other than lone pair repulsion also depends upon the presence of free electron (free radical) in a compound? If so, why?
Yes, I think so. But it should be given the preference after next to lone pairs on atoms. Conside bond angle due to lone pair and then partial effect of free radical.
2017 years ago
Where is POAC given in OP tandons book . What I difference between POAC and unitary method?​
@ sumit POAC is mentioned in the mole concept chapter of o.p tandon book , make sure u have purchased the latest edition book , not the old one. POAC is the principle of atomic conversion , ...
2017 years ago
How to check dipole moment procedudure of dipole moment in inorganic chemistry and what method to apply
@ rahul u can calculate the dipole moment of the molecules by the following formula u = q*l where u is the dipole moment q is the magntide of either charges and l is the dipole length HOPE...
Umakant biswal 10 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn