sources of organic compounds and its uses

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

The simplest organic compounds are hydrocarbons. All organic compounds can be derived from hydrocarbons by substituting a hydrogen atom with a suitable functional group. Replacing a hydrogen atom by a OH group in a hydrocarbon, gives an alcohol: replacement of H atom in a hydrocarbon by COOH group gives in a hydrocarbon carboxylic acid, and so on.

USES :

Lower alkenes are used as fuel and illuminant. These may be obtained by the cracking of kerosene or petrol.

Alkynes are generally used as the starting materials for the manufacture of a large number of organic compounds of industrial importance such as, chloroprene, vinyl chloride etc.

Benzene is used as a starting material for dyes, drugs, perfumes and explosives and polymers

Petrol and petrochemicals :

Sources of Hydrocarbons
     Until the early years of the nineteenth century, only the plants and animals were the known sources of organic compounds. With the advent of the Industrial Revolution in Europe, fossil fuels like coal and petroleum gained prominence as the sources of organic compounds, particularly hydrocarbons. Today, hydrocarbons are mostly obtained from petroleum. In recent years coal has started gaining prominence, probably due to the uncertain conditions in the world oil market.

Synehtetic Petrol :The petrol obtained artificially from coal as a mixture of alkanes resembling petroleum like aliphatic hydrocarbon fuels is called synthetic petrol. Two important methods for producing synthetic petrol are the Fischer-Tropsch process and the Bergius process. These processes were developed in Germany during World War II, when its petroleum supplies were cut off. Germany produced considerable amounts of fuel from coal by the above processes during that period.

--

regards

Ramesh

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
What is the difference between sucrose, fructose and sugar?

The word “sugar”is used to represent a group of organic compounds known as carbohydrates i.e. sugar and carbohydrates are same thing. Sugar or carbohydrates are the compounds...
  img
Pankaj one month ago
I want to knw easy logic to find number of isomers of C7H9N

Toluidine 1-amino-2-methylorortho-toluidine 1-amino-3-methylormeta-toluidine 1-amino-4-methylorp-toluidine, Lutidine 2,3-dimethylpyridineor 2,3-lutidine 2,4-dimethylpyridineor 2,4-lutidine...
  img
Sher Mohammad 2 months ago
which is more acidic water or methanol?

Water is more acidic than methanol because methanol is a basic and water can be considered as neutral. So, in the ph scale water is more reactive than methanol. methanol is the simplest form...

Yugabrat Gogoi 12 days ago

Methanol is more acidic than water pK a of methanol = 15.54 pK a of water = 15.74 you know lesser pKa means more acidic , methanol is more acidic than water ;

MANU MITRAAN 11 days ago
If a peice of iron gains 10% of its weight due to partial rusting into Fe2O3 the percentage of total iron that has rusted is 23 13 23.3 25.67

4Fe + 3O2----2Fe2O3 let the weight of fe conveerted to fe2o3 be x gm initian total weight be 100gm now weight gain=110gm mole of fe conveerted to fe2o3=4x/56 mole of fe2o3=x/56*2 weight of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
I in case of CF3I has a partial charge of +1 and in case of CH3I has a partial charge of -1. Why? I know it is related to electronegativity but please explain!

IN case of CF3I it dissociates as CF3- and I+ the charge on iodine is +1 whereas CH3I dissociates as CH3+ and I- the charge in case of I- is -1.see as the electronegativity of flourine is...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
how many faradays are required for reduction os C6H5NO2 into C6H5NH2

C6H5NO2 + 6H (in the presence of Sn and HCl)——————→ C6H5NH2 + 2H2O for conversion of 1 mole of nitrpbenzene 6 mole of electron are required charge on...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
View all Questions »