Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

how nature of nucleophile decides SN1 or SN2 ?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear jee

The key difference between SN1 and SN2 is when the nucleophile
participates: in the rate determining step in SN2, but after the rate determining step in SN1.
Thus the course of the reaction can be controlled by the nature of the nucleophile. Thus, other
things being equal, a strong nucleophile favors SN2, while a weak nucleophile favors SN1.
Nucleophilicity depends on basicity, polarizability, and solvation. For the same series, anions
are better nucleophiles than their neutral counterparts ( i.e. OH- is better than H2O). In the
same series in protic solvents, increasing polarizability leads to increasing nucleophilicity,
thus I- is a better nucleophile than F-.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.
 We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Why para dihydroxy benzene does not have zero dipole moment while para xylene has. Both r electron donating towards benzene ring.
@ dattatray the dipole moment of para dimethoxybenzene is not 0 beacuse it exist in two forms , cis and trans forms . out of which trans have 0 dipole moment beacuse it is a symmetrical...
Umakant biswal one month ago
dear umakant Sir thanks for inputs. However not much clear and my question still remains same - as per book paradimethyl benzene (p-xylene) has zero dipole moment while, paradihydroxy...
Dattatray Biradar one month ago
How is pressure inversly proprtion to volume in mole concept??
For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law , stating that the pressure and volume of a gas...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
According to Boyle's law or Pressure-Volume Law which state that the volume of a given amount amount gas held at constant temperature varies inversely with the applied pressure when the...
somprasad 3 months ago
What is the decreasing order of +I effect for following: 1. -CH 2 -CH 2 -O - 2.-O - 3. -CH 2 -O -
decreasing order of +I effect for: given compounds would be: 1> 3 > 2 as O- shows highest and maximum +I effect.
Vikas TU one month ago
What is a Schottky defect......................................?
The defect arises when equal number of cations and anions are missing from the lattice is called Schottky defect. It is a common defect in ionic compounds of high coordination number where...
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ karun A Schottky defect is a type of point defect in a crystal lattice named after Walter H. Schottky . In non-ionic crystals it means a lattice vacancy defect . In ionic crystals, the...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Electronic configuration of inner transition element is
@ prabin inner transition element are the f block element placed below the periodic table , but they belongs to group 6 and 7 within the transition series . the electronic configuration of...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Which of the following is not true for PCl 5 (a)Its three P-Cl bond lenghts are equal (b)It involves sp 3 d hybridization. (c)It has regular geometry. (d)Its shape is trigonal bipyramidal....
@ mudit i am sorry , all the four statement are actually correct , so, none of them will be false . in the frst statement it state that – 3 of the bonds are equal – thats true ,. three...
THe answwer given in book is ©.I think it is incorrect but want to make it sure so waiting for more answers.
Mudit one month ago
@ mudit option no a turns out to be the correct answer , as in pcl5 , all the bonds are not equal while 3 of them are equal and the rest 2 p-cl bonds are actually greater than these 3 . and ...
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn