Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off

1. Why does aniline not undergo freidel crafts alkylation, though phenol does?

2. what is the use of AlCl3 in freidel crafts acylation? Is it a catalyst? If so, how does it catalyze?

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

1.Aniline doesnt undergo friedel craft rxn because the reagent AlCl3,being e- deficient acts as lewis base and attacks on the lone pair of nitrogen present in aniline to form an insoluble complex which precipitates out and the rxn doesnt proceed.

2.AlCl3 is the reagent which was used by Friedel Craft in alkylation and acylation,actually any other lewis acid can also be used because these are just catalysing reagents which increase the probability and feasibility of the aromatic substitution.....

6 years ago

Listen jee king, who told you that phenol undergoes Friedel-Crafts alkylation; even it does not facilitate the reaction because the Lewis acid catalyst coordinates with one of the lone pairs of electrons present on oxygen of -OH group.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Why para dihydroxy benzene does not have zero dipole moment while para xylene has. Both r electron donating towards benzene ring.
@ dattatray the dipole moment of para dimethoxybenzene is not 0 beacuse it exist in two forms , cis and trans forms . out of which trans have 0 dipole moment beacuse it is a symmetrical...
Umakant biswal one month ago
dear umakant Sir thanks for inputs. However not much clear and my question still remains same - as per book paradimethyl benzene (p-xylene) has zero dipole moment while, paradihydroxy...
Dattatray Biradar one month ago
why need heat during preparation of meta dinitrobenzene
@ sanam its importnat that the reaction will not get too hot . it should not go above about 70 degree celsius , but it is also important that the temp does go to at least 60 geree celsius . ...
what are exactly optical isomers ?how can we identify them?
Optical isomerism is a form of Stereoisomerism.These are the molecule that differ three dimensionally by the placement of substituents around one or more atom in a molecule.Optical isomers...
prasan 2 months ago
@ diptesh Plastic optical fiber (POF) (or Polymer optical fibre) is an optical fiber that is made out of polymer . Similar to glass optical fiber, POF transmits light (for illumination or...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Optical isomers are those isomers which should posses no POS. .i.e. No Plane of symmetry and No Axis of symmtery. Then only it would be considered as optically active isomers. . And for...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
does S 2 Exists? if not what ius reason for this ? as , O 2 exists .
@ pranav S2 is an allotropes of sulpher in the form of disulpher , but disulpher is in gaseous state and have very less energy , as compared to s8 , which is a solid substances and having...
S2 due to large size of sulphur cannot hold themselves together but in case of s8 they form crown structure which stabilize the molecules and give them high bonding strength
Biswajit dash one month ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
A, B, C are 3 elements forming a part of compound in oxidation states of +2,+5,-2 respectively. What could be the compound?
It could be any 2 nd group that is alkaline earth element with oxygen and Phosphorous. For example, Calcium Phosphate. Ca3(PO4)2 In this, Ca has +2 valency Phosphorous has +5 and Oxygen has ...
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn