Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

In terms of oxidation - reduction and using derivatives, compare dehalogenaton, dehydrogenation, and dehydrohalogenation.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Each C bonded to Br in CH2BrCH2 Br has an oxidation number (ON) of -1. Ach doubly-bonded C in the alkene has an ON of -2. This decrease in ON indicates that the dihalide is reduced and debromination is a reduction. During dehydrogenation of CH3CH3, the C’s that become doubly-bounded go from an ON of -3 to -2. This increase in ON signals an oxidation of the hydrocarbon. In the alkyl halide, the C bonded to Br has an On of -1 and α-C has an ON of -3, for an average of -2, the same as in the alkene. Hence, dehydrohalogenation is not a redox reaction.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

why need heat during preparation of meta dinitrobenzene
@ sanam its importnat that the reaction will not get too hot . it should not go above about 70 degree celsius , but it is also important that the temp does go to at least 60 geree celsius . ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
I have the honour to state that I have faced some problem with those question below: 1.which compound dissolves in water:alkene,alkyne,alkane,benzene. 2.why C 6 H 5 OH is more acidic than...
@ emon i am answering the 2 nd part of your question . c6h5oh is more acidic due to resonance stabilised phenoxide ion . on the other hand in the case of ch3oh neither ethanol nor ethoxide...
Sir please explain what are lukars reagent and it reaction with different degree of alcohol????????
Hi ! Rama , LUCAR REAGENT (LR ) is a mixture of Zinc chloride (ZnCL 2 ) and concentrated Hydrochloric acid (Hcl).It is used to chemically distinguish different degree of alcohol. (i)When it ...
raju 2 months ago
Hi ! D.raman , It is a mixture of anhydrous ZnCl 2 and conc. Hcl. It’s reaction with different degree of alcohol -: 1 0 Alcohol-It get soluble in it. 2 0 Alcohol-Turbidity within 5 minutes. ...
nath 2 months ago
no of geometrical and optical isomers of the compound [co(NH3)2Cl2(en)]+
This is M(AA)a 2 b 2 type compund.I have 3 G.I out of which two are trans which can’t show optical isomerism (O.I) While cis form show O.I hence occur in d & l pair Thus,3G.I & 2 O.I but...
Pranav Dabhade 3 days ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Molecular orbial is same as hybrid orbital? I mean both are same thing na
Can u plz elaborate it for me. Both the cases orbital are combinining so why r the diiffeten what is basic differebce
Mayank kumar one month ago
@ mayank No , they are not at all same , the hybrid orbitals are formed by hybridisation of various atomic orbital which are close in energy . but molecular orbital are formed due to just...
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn