3,5 - dimethyl 4-amino Benzoic acid OR 2,6 - dimethyl 4-amino Benzoic acid ..

Which one is more acidic and also the reason ..

Please help me out 

2 years ago

Answers : (5)

3,5 dimethyl 4ammino benzoic acid is more acidic as Positive inductive groups r present far away to the COOH gourp resulting in more acidities than 3,6 dimethyl benzoic acid.

2 years ago

What about Steric hindrance of resonance taking place due to bulky groups and all ?

2 years ago

2,6 - dimethyl 4-amino Benzoic acid  is more acidic .       

due to ortho effect it is more acidic.

ortho effect means:if any group present on ortho position of benzoic acid it always increases acidic nature of acid because this group decreases outer resonance of ring towards acid which increases acidic nature for example orthonitrobenzoic acid is most acidic in any nitro derivative of benzoic acid.orthomethyl benzoic acid is maximum acidic than other isomers.similarly if any group present on ortho position of aniline it decreases basic nature.

2 years ago

Sorry,  just missed the Ortho effect (Steric Inhibition of Resonace). The ortho substitutued for is more acidic irrecpective of the inductive effect it produces. 2,6 dimethyl 4-ammino benzoic acid is more acidic.

2 years ago

Thank you , are you certain of the answer ?

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what should i refer ,o p tandon or ranjeet shahi ?,if i need theory as well as ques at the same time

If you need theory then follow o.p.tandon or if you want to questions then follow ranjeet shahi. But it is better to follow o p tandon for both theory as well as questions....
  img
Ramreddy 15 days ago

thank you sir

sunath khadikar 14 days ago
Why Acetaldehyde is more soluble than Formaldehyde in water !

There is no H-bonding in both Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde. So solubility depends on the vanderwaals forces of attractions which are proportional to molecular weight of compounds. Since MW...
  img
Ramreddy 21 days ago

@ramreddy sir , but then why Propanal is less soluble than Ethanal ? Also, in most of the texts we found that solublitity is inversely prop. to Hydrophobic(Alkyl) Part Conc. …

Navdeep Kumar 20 days ago
**WHY DO SOME COVALENT COMPOUNDS EXIST IN ALL THREE STATES(Br2,Cl2)?

Not only covalent compounds but all compounds exist in all three states(Solid,liquid and gas) depending on temperature and pressure. At higher temperatues and higher pressures substances...
  img
Ramreddy 13 days ago
why explosion occure

First you must know that fire needs fuel, oxygen, and heat. When this happens a lot of gases are released from the fuel. If this happens in a closed container the gases build up and store...
  img
Harishwar 9 days ago
In the following image, i have doubts in the questions which i have encirled.

Dear student, The question isnt visible. Please elaborate on the question. Please upload the picture again and let us know once you are done with that. Once you clarify on this, it would...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 12 days ago
primitive vectors and primitive cell volume for a bcc lattice.

Dear student, A Bravais lattice is defined as an infinite array of discrete points generated by a set of discrete translation vectors given by: Here n i are integers and a i are known as the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 2 months ago
View all Questions »