FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
                   what is the amphoteric nature of water

how do we know that h2o is loosing or gaining electrons

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Chemically, water is amphoteric — i.e., it is able to act as either an acid or a base. Occasionally the term hydroxic acid is used when water acts as an acid in a chemical reaction. At a pH of 7 (neutral), the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH−) is equal to that of the hydronium (H3O+) or hydrogen (H+) ions. If the equilibrium is disturbed, the solution becomes acidic (higher concentration of hydronium ions) or basic (higher concentration of hydroxide ions).

Water can act as either an acid or a base in reactions. According to the Brønsted-Lowry system, an acid is defined as a species which donates a proton (an H+ ion) in a reaction, and a base as one which receives a proton. When reacting with a stronger acid, water acts as a base; when reacting with a stronger base, it acts as an acid. For instance, it receives an H+ ion from HCl in the equilibrium:

HCl + H2O ? H3O+ + Cl−
Here water is acting as a base, by receiving an H+ ion.

In the reaction with ammonia, NH3, water donates an H+ ion, and is thus acting as an acid:

NH3 + H2O ? NH4+ + OH−

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
properties OF PRIMARY ALCOHOLS

Properties of primary alcohol – They give red colour ppt in Victor Meyer Test . They do not give ppt in lucas test . have less bp than secondary adn tertiary alcohol . Highly favoured for...

Drake 2 months ago

primary alcohol they do not give turbidity with anhydrous ZnCl2 (lucas test) also they they give red ppt in VICTOR MAYER TEST

ng29 2 months ago

they does not give LUCAS TEST (reaction with anhydrous ZnCl2) approve if useful approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago
I have op tandon organic chemistry and solomons fryhle chemistry. WHich book should i read. OP tandon has only reaction whose mechanism are’nt there.So should i prefer solomon fryhle or op...

dont refer more forigen books refer those which are prepared for iit jee follow sanayal for mechnism n do practice from ms chouan or himinshu panday

Nicho priyatham 25 days ago

You may refer Modern’s ABC of Chemistry. It will help you grasp all the concepts with ease and give you ample scope of attempting numericals.

Rounak Datta 25 days ago

solomon frhyle is best book among ur choices u can do himanshu pandey for questions for practice it is very good book APPROVE IF USEFUL

ng29 24 days ago
which book is best for organic???

Jagadamba Sinha’s A logical Approach To Organic Chemistry would be the good book.

Bhanu Prakash one month ago

yes NCERT books could be very much useful in remembering concepts.

Bhanu Prakash 21 days ago

ncert class 11 and class 12 is really helpful. please check it.

Adarsh one month ago
106 th element belongs to which block?

It belongs to `d` block.

Naga Himanshu 2 months ago

According to electronic configuration of Seaborgium (106 element) i.e. [Rn] 7s 2 5f 1 4 6d 4 outermost orbital is ‘ d’. So from this representation we can say it belongs to ‘d’ block.

Naga Himanshu 2 months ago

its..right..but cn u explain the ans. plz....

mansi dabriwal 2 months ago
is ch3cooh an acid or a base and why isnt there hydrogen what is h3

The hydrogen center in thecarboxyl group(−COOH) in carboxylic acids such as acetic acid can separate from the molecule by ionization CH3COOH → CH3COO − + H + Because of this...
  img
Avinash 20 hours ago
Why was LSD legalized? Was it because of flash backs or...?

I don't see LSD becoming legalized. To begin the DEA and our government is very strict and stubborn when it comes to illegal drugs. Just look at the battles with legalizing marijuana. LSD...

vikas yadav 3 months ago

Don't think it will ever be legalized for public usage, perhaps some day it will be re-legalized for Psychiatric Therapy as it is quite effective in the treatment of many Psychiatric...

vikas yadav 3 months ago

this is a simple question and you can get good things from solving this so just try

britto george 2 months ago
View all Questions »