what is the amphoteric nature of water

how do we know that h2o is loosing or gaining electrons

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Chemically, water is amphoteric — i.e., it is able to act as either an acid or a base. Occasionally the term hydroxic acid is used when water acts as an acid in a chemical reaction. At a pH of 7 (neutral), the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH−) is equal to that of the hydronium (H3O+) or hydrogen (H+) ions. If the equilibrium is disturbed, the solution becomes acidic (higher concentration of hydronium ions) or basic (higher concentration of hydroxide ions).

Water can act as either an acid or a base in reactions. According to the Brønsted-Lowry system, an acid is defined as a species which donates a proton (an H+ ion) in a reaction, and a base as one which receives a proton. When reacting with a stronger acid, water acts as a base; when reacting with a stronger base, it acts as an acid. For instance, it receives an H+ ion from HCl in the equilibrium:

HCl + H2O ? H3O+ + Cl−
Here water is acting as a base, by receiving an H+ ion.

In the reaction with ammonia, NH3, water donates an H+ ion, and is thus acting as an acid:

NH3 + H2O ? NH4+ + OH−

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is mean by a indicator in titration?

Titration is the process of determining the volumes of reagents(or solutions),required for the just completion of a reaction.The point at which the reaction is just completed is called the...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago

While performing a titration, we slowly add one solution of a known concentration to another known volume but without knowing concentration. This process of adding titrant to another...
  img
Vasantha Kumari 3 months ago

Indicator is a substance that changes the color of a solution in order to detect the presence of certain ions in it. It can also be used to indicate the presence of completion of a reaction...
  img
Ruchi Shaw 3 months ago
i need your suggestion.

I am also preparing for JEE and I am getting great help from Arihant''s "A textbook of organic chemistry" by RK Gupta, and also the book by J.Clayden. Besides, you can read OP Tendon''s book...

Snehashis Parashar 11 months ago

If you want guidance in various name reaction like birch reduction, williamson synthesis etc.the best book is Reactions, Rearrangements and Reagents by S. N.Sanyal

Aabel 10 months ago

ms chauan

divya kumari 11 months ago
I want a book which offer good theory and questions in organic chemistry?which book will be good and having both?

at first you should go for NCERT for organic chemistry because the concept is so clear and and simple written over there. after that u can also follow MORRISON AND BOYD for more practice...

sneha singh 6 months ago

NCERT books first and then try K.S Verma`s Organic Chemistry by Cengage Learning Exam Crack Series!

Akshansh Jain 6 months ago

(MORRISON AND BOYD) BEST FOR ORGANIC CHEMISTRY AS WELL AS SOME INORGANIC ALSO....

chaman 6 months ago
What is the reaction occuring in daniel cell [reversible or irreversible]?

its a reversible cell
  img
Mukesh Sharma 6 months ago

but in the theory it is given that it is spontaneous reaction. [all spontaneous reactions are irreversible]

pranay kumar 6 months ago

its a reversible cell zn|znso4|cuso4|cu

varalakshmi 6 months ago
why are noble metals inert ? i need a defnition in terms of its electronic configuration

Noble gases are those elements with configuration with ns 2 , np 6 in valence shell. Due to their electronic shell saturation, they have low chemical reactivity and do not have affinity for...
  img
Vasantha Kumari one month ago

Thanks

Arun Kumar one month ago
in physical chemistry my mole concept portion is weak... how to improve it for jee..

no need to worry always remember mole is only a quantity representing 6.023 *10^23 practise as many problrm as you can from good reference book like rc mukherjee or p bahadur it is also...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 days ago
View all Questions »