Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 800 off
USE CODE: SSP40

what is the amphoteric nature of water

how do we know that h2o is loosing or gaining electrons

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Chemically, water is amphoteric — i.e., it is able to act as either an acid or a base. Occasionally the term hydroxic acid is used when water acts as an acid in a chemical reaction. At a pH of 7 (neutral), the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH−) is equal to that of the hydronium (H3O+) or hydrogen (H+) ions. If the equilibrium is disturbed, the solution becomes acidic (higher concentration of hydronium ions) or basic (higher concentration of hydroxide ions).

Water can act as either an acid or a base in reactions. According to the Brønsted-Lowry system, an acid is defined as a species which donates a proton (an H+ ion) in a reaction, and a base as one which receives a proton. When reacting with a stronger acid, water acts as a base; when reacting with a stronger base, it acts as an acid. For instance, it receives an H+ ion from HCl in the equilibrium:

HCl + H2O ? H3O+ + Cl−
Here water is acting as a base, by receiving an H+ ion.

In the reaction with ammonia, NH3, water donates an H+ ion, and is thus acting as an acid:

NH3 + H2O ? NH4+ + OH−

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

what is mole fraction

Whereas mole fraction is a ratio of moles to moles , molar concentration is a ratio of moles to volume. The mole fraction is one way of expressing the composition of a mixture with a...

sanjay 9 months ago

Number of moles of solute by total number of moles of solution is called molefraction

RAKESH CHINDAM 9 months ago

Mole fraction is defined as the ratio of moles to moles .

PRAPULPODISHETTI 9 months ago
Write formula for Borax

Na 2 B 4 O7 11H 2 O IS THE CHEMICAL FORMULA FOR BORAX

L GOUSE BASHA 8 months ago

Na2B4O7·10H2O is the formila of borox it is also alled as sodium borate Borax , also called tincal, sodium tetraborate decahydrate (Na2B4O. ... It has been produced commercially from...

ULFAT 2 months ago

Borax, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. Powdered borax is white, consisting of...

Prabhakar ch 3 months ago
define Boyle's law

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law , stating that the pressure and volume of a gas...

PRAPULPODISHETTI 8 months ago

or a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law , stating that the pressure and volume of a gas...

GANDIKOTA NAVEEN 8 months ago

the principle that, for relatively low pressures, the pressure of an ideal gas kept at constant temperature varies inversely with the volume of the gas. Expand.

KARTHIK 8 months ago
what is chemical formula of borax?

Na2B4O7 10H2O

sanjay 9 months ago

Na2B4O7.10H2O

BOLLU SRINIVAS 8 months ago

the chemical formula of borax is NA 2 B 4 O 7 .10H 2 O

L GOUSE BASHA 8 months ago
best theory book for physical chemistry

I had used op tandon and it was pretty useful, sometimes the theory given is a particular book is not explained well but is properly given in some other book so you’ll most probably have to ...

Neeti 10 months ago

O.P tandon again. I didn’t need extra books for organic chemistry because my coaching tutors were very generous with notes, but i think O.P Tandon is pretty good.

Neeti 10 months ago

No problem :) you can even post doubts and questions, if you have any. i’d be more than happy to help :)

Neeti 10 months ago
what is the answer.

It is monoclinic. option a is the answer.

PRAPULPODISHETTI 9 months ago

monoclinic

Gavvala Ganesh 9 months ago

monoclinic

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 9 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 6,000 off
USE CODE: SSP40

Get extra R 800 off