what is the amphoteric nature of water

how do we know that h2o is loosing or gaining electrons

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

Chemically, water is amphoteric — i.e., it is able to act as either an acid or a base. Occasionally the term hydroxic acid is used when water acts as an acid in a chemical reaction. At a pH of 7 (neutral), the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH−) is equal to that of the hydronium (H3O+) or hydrogen (H+) ions. If the equilibrium is disturbed, the solution becomes acidic (higher concentration of hydronium ions) or basic (higher concentration of hydroxide ions).

Water can act as either an acid or a base in reactions. According to the Brønsted-Lowry system, an acid is defined as a species which donates a proton (an H+ ion) in a reaction, and a base as one which receives a proton. When reacting with a stronger acid, water acts as a base; when reacting with a stronger base, it acts as an acid. For instance, it receives an H+ ion from HCl in the equilibrium:

HCl + H2O ? H3O+ + Cl−
Here water is acting as a base, by receiving an H+ ion.

In the reaction with ammonia, NH3, water donates an H+ ion, and is thus acting as an acid:

NH3 + H2O ? NH4+ + OH−

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
how to study organic chemistry?what i should study for board exams ? please reply me

Hello, Organic chemistry is not that much difficult. Just try to learn it in a sequential way. What you have to do is first learn the nomenclature of organic compounds and then moves towards...
  img
Anjali Ahuja 3 months ago
how to prepare for organic tests effectively!!?? pls suggest a method

Organic compounds unlike the inorganic ones cannot be identifeid by testing the ions as they do not give ions in the solution because of having colvalent linkages in them.Organic compounds...
  img
Aarti Gupta 5 months ago
What will be the IUPAC name of this compound??

IUPAC name : N,N- isobutylmethylamine ….….….….….….….….….….….….….….…......
  img
Ramreddy 2 months ago
in a co ordinate compound where both anion and cation are complex , how to decide that which species will aquire positive or negative charge on decomposition? let in K4Fe(CN)6 we know that k...

Acomplex ion can be defined ion which consists of a central metal cation to which several anions or molecules are bonded.Now this complex ion may be positively or negatively charged.The...
  img
Aarti Gupta 11 days ago
collidal solution are ampoteric

It has been shown in this paper that while non-ionized gelatin may exist in gelatin solutions on both sides of the isoelectric point (which lies for gelatin at a hydrogen ion concentration...
  img
Saurabh Kumar 3 months ago
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
View all Questions »